• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Parking Reservations for 21/22?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm wondering if Powdr is going to keep using the Parking Reservation system from 2020-21. Really only needed it during holiday periods and on Saturdays. Since that was free, seems like a reasonable way to keep the slopes from getting too crowded. Or having people drive to the resort only find there is no place to park because they didn't get up early enough on a Saturday morning.

altagirl

Staff member
I'm wondering if Powdr is going to keep using the Parking Reservation system from 2020-21. Really only needed it during holiday periods and on Saturdays. Since that was free, seems like a reasonable way to keep the slopes from getting too crowded. Or having people drive to the resort only find there is no place to park because they didn't get up early enough on a Saturday morning.
Alta is just starting that this year. So they must have determined it was useful elsewhere.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Alta is just starting that this year. So they must have determined it was useful elsewhere.
Hmm, then most likely Snowbird will keep using parking reservations too. That seemed to work okay once locals got used to the idea that they couldn't decide the night before whether or not to go skiing on a Saturday. As I remember the weekends were fully booked in Jan-Feb, but if someone was attentive sometimes there were spots that opened up when someone decided to cancel within 1-3 days of a given date.

Wouldn't parking reservations help in BCC on weekends and holidays too? Of course, Solitude is owned by Alterra and Brighton is owned by Boyne Resorts. So completely different management decision process than Alta or Snowbird.

Christy

Angel Diva
Crystal isn't going to have parking reservations, exactly, but they are going to start charging for parking Fri-Sun, unless you have any one of their pass products, and skiers with passes--Ikon or one of their Crystal-specific passes--will have to register their license plates in advance to ski that day. This will help them gauge anticipated crowds, and they will use license plate recognition software to catch offenders (who are supposed to pay at kiosks). The money is going toward a free shuttle system from Enumclaw, the nearest town (45 minutes away when roads are bare).

I think this is a good idea. I'm glad to see them address the congestion that started when they were bought by Alterra (for the first year or two, they kept denying crowds or congestion were a problem, which infuriated everyone stuck in traffic or who was turned away due to full lots), glad they have come up with an expanded transit plan, and frankly, glad to know backcountry skiers, snowshoers etc using the Crystal lot will have to pay.

THE SITUATION

As we started planning for this winter season, our attention turned to one issue that has been obvious as demand for Crystal days has spiked the past few seasons. While our mountain is big—with 2,600 acres of expansive skiable terrain—our two lane 40 mile approach, and our parking situation are a lot more constrained. At times, when everyone else in our region wants to ski or ride too, arrival can be the most difficult part of the day for our community.

Crystal is tucked into a tight mountain valley with access through a National Forest up a two-lane mountain road. That location is part of Crystal’s allure, but it also creates constraints that we all feel when The Boulevard crawls or the lots fill early. Absolutely no one wants to be stuck in a powder day traffic jam or to be turned back to town instead of lapping the gondola or dropping into Northway. At the same time, as snow lovers, we’re all evaluating our environmental impacts more closely now—thinking about how we can make different choices that better benefit our mountain ecosystems.

For those reasons, we decided to tackle our new transportation plan with thought, strategy and consideration, rather than sticking our head in the snowbank and pretending traffic wasn’t an issue. We listened to a lot of impassioned guest feedback, carefully evaluated our options and forecasted for another big winter of visitation after seeing how our population, our community and the outdoors are all booming right now. We looked to other ski resorts that have tackled similar transportation challenges and what solutions best preserved the character of their hills.

THE BIG SHIFT

So, for this winter, we’re changing how it’s all going to work in our parking lots.

First, the big news is that we’ve shifted our lots to paid parking on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Free parking will be included with the purchase of a season’s pass, and passholders will be required to register their plates before arrival so we can gauge capacity. We will not have a reservation system to ski this season. Carpooling will be radically encouraged and free for four or more with designated spaces and priority shuttles. Paid parking revenue will directly fund free bus transportation from Enumclaw on peak weekends as we embrace more efficient and more environmentally conscious ways of accessing our mountain.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
... The money is going toward a free shuttle system from Enumclaw, the nearest town (45 minutes away when roads are bare). ...

This is literally my DREAM as to what ski areas would do with the money when they charge for parking. I really hope it goes well. 45+ min is a long shuttle ride, but if that's the nearest town, that's the nearest town. Honestly if I were doing a day trip I'd probably be psyched to get to nap for the last 45 min of the ride rather than driving.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Late to this thread, and it may have already been posted elsewhere by now, but Killington/Pico will again be doing parking reservations. https://www.killington.com/culture/social-blog/insider-blog/2021-winter-operations
Blog says more info is coming about how the parking reservations will be handled etc.
But the blog also details the safety protocols etc that will be in place--ie masks in lifelines and on lifts again etc..
And "your car as a baselodge" will also still be in effect this season too.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Mt. Bachelor is only using parking reservations for paid parking.

Here's the statement about services for 2021-22:
"While we will continue to offer many of our usual services this winter, such as equipment rentals, lesson programs, retail shopping, and tune/repairs, we expect and encourage guests to be prepared to be based out of their vehicles as a lodge this season, for booting up, warming up, and refueling up. Lodge services will be simplified and occupancy will be limited. The focus will be on preserving lodge capacity for quick warmups, and/or restroom access. Click on the location pins on the map below to learn more about the services and amenities available at each base area or parking lot."

Christy

Angel Diva
Well, Crystal tried. Free shuttles, paid parking for non passholders (though, are there very many of those anymore?), pre registration to gauge capacity. Yet...

Screenshot_20211219-092620_Messages.jpg
I might have thought during Xmas break crowds might be more dispersed, but I guess not.

Scribble

Angel Diva
Alta is only a couple days into their paid/reserved parking, but I chatted with a parking attendant who said they're getting good initial feedback from passholders. I like the idea that I can pull in later than usual and still get to ski. The downside, I can't change my mind at the last minute without having to pay for the reservation.

Christy

Angel Diva
Alta is only a couple days into their paid/reserved parking, but I chatted with a parking attendant who said they're getting good initial feedback from passholders. I like the idea that I can pull in later than usual and still get to ski. The downside, I can't change my mind at the last minute without having to pay for the reservation.
That sounds great to me.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well, Crystal tried. Free shuttles, paid parking for non passholders (though, are there very many of those anymore?), pre registration to gauge capacity. Yet...

View attachment 17219
I might have thought during Xmas break crowds might be more dispersed, but I guess not.
Alta tried just having very good communication via Twitter and the website about parking availability last season. Snowbird next door used the Powdr parking reservation system for free parking that had to be planned in advanced. Presumably Alta paid attention and decided that for busy days, prioritizing planning and not charging pass holders had more potential for fewer problems in the long run.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna