• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Paddling shorts

Jilly

Staff member
I'm looking for padded shorts to wear paddling. The problem is there doesn't seem to be much on-line with Canadian outlets, and absolutely nothing local. I'm trying to avoid customs etc if I can. But...

Paddling shorts differ from bike shorts, as the padded area is different. I'm thinking that snowboard shorts might work? I haven't seen too many on line that don't look like moto cross biker gear!!

Anyone know of paddling shorts or slim padded snowboard shorts out there?

abc

Banned
Do you have an example of what you can't get in Canada (but presummably available in the US)?

On a different note, would putting some padding on the seat achieve the same result?

abc

Banned
I think there're two (somewhat related) issues: pressure & friction.

I would think the neoprene pad should be good enough to releive the pressure on the sit bone. The padded paddling short will do that too.

As to the "almost blister", which is caused by friction from the relative movement between your skin and what's next to your skin (regular shorts?), you'll probably do better with any of the anti-blister creams such as Body Glide.

Even with the padded paddling shorts, you still have some risk of developing blisters. Just ask any of us cyclists.

[EDIT]
In an environment that's guarantee to get quite wet, cream often works better than powder.

Jilly

Staff member
I've got to see if I can get some Body Glide from the local bike shop.

I did pick up a pair of snowboard padded shorts from my friend that owns the local ski and snowboard shop, but I don't think that they are going to work without some modifications. I really don't need the pads on the front for example!!

mustski

Angel Diva
I've got to see if I can get some Body Glide from the local bike shop.

I did pick up a pair of snowboard padded shorts from my friend that owns the local ski and snowboard shop, but I don't think that they are going to work without some modifications. I really don't need the pads on the front for example!!
Pads on the front! Oh no - never ever. I have enough padding there thank you.

Jilly

Staff member
Gloria - that would be perfect if it was a kayak, but not for a dragon boat. We have about 5" of thwart to sit on for 1 hour. I have a pad called the Dragon boat saddle which has layers of neoprene that you can change. But I was looking for the shorts that have the seat padded for extra protection. The Body Glide is helping with wear areas.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think you can wrap them around the thwart actually. If all else fails any kayak store would likely have one to lok at.

Jilly

Staff member
Yeah, I've seen those ones......you look like you have a turtle strapped to your butt!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Victoria.M