• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Packing soft ski bags

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have ended up separating my skis, and stuffing my waterproof clothing bags in between the skis like a ski sandwich. I was packing wet skis each afternoon into the bag before traveling to the next ski area, so the dry bags in the middle were necessary, and I found I could more easily wedge them in between than next to the skis interlocked.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yah, the skis made it. TG for duct tape. DH packed way too stuff in the ski bag to begin with, so they made him take some out and put in a box that they sealed and checked. They tried to fix it while we were in Whistler, but it was a poor job.

I actually had my skis damaged by TSA because they couldn't figure out how to get the sport tube back together. TSA in Denver of all places.

I have instructions on how to secure it back together with the pin taped to mine (I think in 2 different places lol). Haven’t had an issue yet, but I do always cross my fingers on that part.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually had my skis damaged by TSA because they couldn't figure out how to get the sport tube back together. TSA in Denver of all places.

The airline or TSA didn't connect the pin nor did they lock the lock in full during my Sportube's maiden voyage. DH went to pick it up and it wasn't secured in the two places it should have been and when pulled off the conveyor, it began to separate. On the next trip, we zip tied a small laminated note to please be sure locks are secured (or something to that effect) and that note was gone at arrival. LOL

I just don't like the airline or TSA making it appear the tube is a problem. My skis are very sharp and I really think I'm better off just bubble wrapping them so they can easily be opened and placed into a well padded zippered bag. I've been wrapping my skis in a towel before putting them in the tube, but frankly, from the looks of the contents upon arrival, it looks like nobody is real happy having to inspect these tubes. This is my very limited experience of course.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have instructions on how to secure it back together with the pin taped to mine (I think in 2 different places lol). Haven’t had an issue yet, but I do always cross my fingers on that part.
Good idea. DH found it baffling that there are instructions to TSA right on the tube. I think maybe some pink sequined construction paper with instructions printed on them might be my next project. Michaels, here I come.

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have traveled with the K2 two-ski soft sided bag with wheels, for my singly pair of skis and then packed my clothes for the trip in the bag as well. Knock on wood, but haven't had an issue with the edges causing any problems with my clothes (outwear or street clothes). I've also just kept my boots in the bag when traveling this way, usually with some clothes for padding around them. The biggest downside I found when not renting a car was ensuring that my Ubers/Lyfts could fit my bag.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I never put my boots in anything checked. They go in a carry-on bag. Always. Boots are the most important piece of gear. I also make sure I have at least one day's ski clothing in my carry-ons.

Checked bags, even the ones with skis in them, can get lost. I cannot ski without my boots. I have gotten rentals paid for by the airline when they lost my skis, until they eventually showed up at my door.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I never put my boots in anything checked. They go in a carry-on bag. Always. Boots are the most important piece of gear. I also make sure I have at least one day's ski clothing in my carry-ons.

Checked bags, even the ones with skis in them, can get lost. I cannot ski without my boots. I have gotten rentals paid for by the airline when they lost my skis, until they eventually showed up at my door.

Yes, I had the fun time of learning on one trip that planes can end up overweight and in that case may leave behind checked luggage to bring on the next flight to that destination. Guess what they left on my trip to Salt Lake City for Diva West years ago? All of the large checked luggage and ski bags! Luckily in that case my luggage and skis were delivered at like 4am ahead of our first ski day, but I was also up all night waiting for the delivery without a good timeframe and afraid to miss them at the condo we rented. I pack much differently for trips after that experience! Also happened to my skis flying into Denver and then another time home from Bozeman.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Yep, I have instructions on mine, too, after I once almost lost my skis because they didn't put the pin through the holes correctly. I picked it up and the tube started sliding apart! I also tape some zip ties to the side of it for in case the lock that I now use gets lost.

I have the instructions taped right next to the correct hole, with an arrow pointing to it.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I use a 10 yo Burton snowboard wheeled bag... stuff ski clothes in there as well as snow boots.... works great. Have taken everywhere I travel by air!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Yes, I had the fun time of learning on one trip that planes can end up overweight and in that case may leave behind checked luggage to bring on the next flight to that destination. Guess what they left on my trip to Salt Lake City for Diva West years ago? All of the large checked luggage and ski bags!
When I was a Consultant, traveling every wk, I learned from the luggage handling guys that Delta is notorious for doing just that - leaving "excess luggage" because they are overweight.

MissySki

Angel Diva
When I was a Consultant, traveling every wk, I learned from the luggage handling guys that Delta is notorious for doing just that - leaving "excess luggage" because they are overweight.

I wish I could remember which airline(s) it’s happened to me on. I remember being so angry at the explanation the first time it happened... “wait, you purposely left all of my stuff behind?!?!!” :eek:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yep, I have instructions on mine, too, after I once almost lost my skis because they didn't put the pin through the holes correctly. I picked it up and the tube started sliding apart! I also tape some zip ties to the side of it for in case the lock that I now use gets lost.

I have the instructions taped right next to the correct hole, with an arrow pointing to it.

I like the idea of taping some zip ties just in case, and also upthread where tying something to the pin and through a hole was suggested. Will keep these in mind to implement as backups next time I fly with my Sportube.

teppaz

Angel Diva
Would love recommendations on a wheeled soft sided ski carrier. Must have wheels, prefer single bag.

I have a double Sportube but would like to get a decent quality soft sided one for my skis only.
I have this Thule wheeled double ski bag and I absolutely love it.

Great durable construction and great design: movable padded panels to protect the bindings (I also use bubble wrap), padded cinch bags for the tips and tail, an inside pocket sleeve for poles, a zipped pocket for clothes. There are several padded handles to pull and/or carry the bag. I use it for one pair of skis and pack the rest with large items of clothing. Knock on wood, but no problems flying with it so far.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I like the idea of taping some zip ties just in case, and also upthread where tying something to the pin and through a hole was suggested. Will keep these in mind to implement as backups next time I fly with my Sportube.
And use a lock, instead of the pin. TSA really seems to be able to grasp the lock concept a lot better, esp when I show them EXACTLY where it goes.

newboots

Angel Diva

Ooh, SMART!

And, as I read on, LOTS of smart hacks for this problem!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna