• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

PA 2017-18 (Poconos, Snow Time, 7Springs/HV/Laurel, etc.)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ready or not, skiing/boarding has started in PA . . . and it's not even Thanksgiving yet!

Big Boulder opened last weekend and a few Divas took a little drive and took a few turns together. Roundtop opened up the terrain park (hike only) last weekend and posted a picture on their website and to Instagram. Roundtop hopes to be open for the weekend, Nov. 18-19, 2017.

https://www.skiroundtop.com/announcement/wow-what-fun-weekend

Too many ski areas in PA to bother with a complete list. For those who haven't skied much in PA, these are the places more popular with Divas once all the lifts and trails are open. Driving distance is a key factor because day trips are the norm. Also tend to be places that are less crowded on weekends, at least before lunch.

Snow Time (near DC/Baltimore): Liberty, Whitetail, Roundtop
Owned/Operated by Nutting (near Pittsburgh): Seven Springs, Hidden Valley, Laurel Mountain
Blue Knob
Montage (near Scranton)
Blue (Poconos)
Elk (west edge of NY Catskills)

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Seven Springs has started to make snow, but only stockpiling on one run so far as I can see on the webcams. I'll be there every Wednesday skiing with Willis's ski/snowboard shop's group "Winter Divas" if anyone wants to join me!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You forgot Jack Frost! And Blue is quite possibly the most frightening thing I've ever seen on a weekend. Would not recommend for weekends. It's only good until about 10:30 AM. lol

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Ready or not, skiing/boarding has started in PA . . . and it's not even Thanksgiving yet!

Big Boulder opened last weekend and a few Divas took a little drive and took a few turns together. Roundtop opened up the terrain park (hike only) last weekend and posted a picture on their website and to Instagram. Roundtop hopes to be open for the weekend, Nov. 18-19, 2017.

https://www.skiroundtop.com/announcement/wow-what-fun-weekend

Too many ski areas in PA to bother with a complete list. For those who haven't skied much in PA, these are the places more popular with Divas once all the lifts and trails are open. Driving distance is a key factor because day trips are the norm. Also tend to be places that are less crowded on weekends, at least before lunch.

Snow Time (near DC/Baltimore): Liberty, Whitetail, Roundtop
Owned/Operated by Nutting (near Pittsburgh): Seven Springs, Hidden Valley, Laurel Mountain
Blue Knob
Montage (near Scranton)
Blue (Poconos)
Elk (west edge of NY Catskills)

PA resident and native chiming in here....Blue Mtn is NOT in the Poconos. Perhaps the resort itself advertises as such, but they are actually on the north side of the Appalachian Ridge...Blue Mtn actually runs east-west across PA. The Poconos are a plateau (not technically mountains) that start about 10-15 miles further north. Ski areas in the Poconos have a smaller vertical drop (but higher elevations) because the slopes are created by rivers/streams cutting into the plateau. They often see lower temps and higher average snowfall than other ski areas in PA (even Elk). Jack Frost is probably one of the best known Pocono ski areas, along with its sister resort, Big Boulder. Big Boulder is the oldest commercial ski area in PA (1947), and the first ski area in the country to use snow making. Jack Frost is a hidden gem, IMO......lots of glades, a few steeps on the East Mountain, that enjoys a beautiful view of the Tobyhanna Creek/gorge.

Camelback is another large PA ski area (Poconos) that has a decent vertical drop and some fun terrain. Due to its proximity to I-80, it receives a lot of NYC traffic and thus is best avoided on weekends (as should Blue Mtn). I've done some really fun spring skiing there.....if there is a spring snowfall after the mountain's closing date, they will often open back up with discounted lift tickets.

Don't forget Bear Creek, in Macungie, PA (10 minutes from my house). This little resorts boasts a gorgeous lodge, cafeteria, restaurant, spa, and hotel. They have high-output snowmaking, and night skiing there is really fun. It's a pretty, rural setting on "South Mountain" which runs east-west from Reading to Allentown, PA. The area was known for its 18th century iron mines, some of which are on the ski area property, as well as a substantial Leni Lenape Native American settlement.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
@marzNC ....Elk is in PA's Endless Mountains, separated from the Catskills in NY by the Delaware River. While part of the Appalachian Plateau (like the Poconos, they are not "really" mountains), it is a separate geographic region from the Catskills.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@tinymoose , @vanhoskier : if I could edit Post #1, I would. But it doesn't really matter. The list reflects mostly the places that are discussed on DCSki or that I have an interest in checking out for one reason or another when I have a reason to be driving thru PA during ski season. So far, I've skied at Blue Knob, Whitetail, Roundtop, and Elk. Have stopped by Montage to look at the base just before the season started. Planning to check out Blue with @SallyCat in mid-December.

SkiPA is a good resource for people who live in PA or close enough to do day trips on a regular basis.

Based on growing up in NYC, everything on the eastern edge of PA falls under "Poconos" for me. :wink:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Found the snowmaker blog for Blue today. Good writing plus pictures. Should get cold enough for a day or two or 24-hour snowmaking before mid-Dec.

https://bluemountainsnowmakers.com/2017/11/29/milk-run/

OPEN THIS WEEKEND:
Saturday, December 2, 8 am – 8 pm
Sunday, December 3, 8 am – 4 pm

Just so everyone is aware, this is how little of the mountain is open right now (I covered in yellow the trails that are currently open this weekend):

e0lkdy.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Just so everyone is aware, this is how little of the mountain is open right now (I covered in yellow the trails that are currently open this weekend):
Beats northern VA. Massanutten and Wintergreen will be lucky if they get open at all before Christmas week.

Apparently 50% of Blue's snow guns were automated by the 2015-16 season. Automated snowmaking in the last 3-4 years made a big difference at Massanutten since the windows for snowmaking are so short, with it rare that 24-hour snowmaking is even possible. Wintergreen was the first in the southeast to have 100% automation. As long as there is enough water, it's possible to put down a lot of snow in 36-48 hours.

Interesting that Blue chose to open for a few days. Shawnee did too. Camelback opens on Dec. 2.

Here's the news on SkiPA for Blue for 2017-18. The "true" vertical at Blue is 1082 feet on Mountain Vertical, 10 feet more than Blue Knob. Massanutten is listed as 1070 feet, so in the same ball park. That's one reason I'm curious to ski at Blue. The other reason is that it's family owned, with a CEO who is the daughter of the founder.

"It is home to Pennsylvania's highest vertical, the most varied terrain, and some of the longest runs in the region. The resort has expanded its ski trail offerings this year. The Lower Sidewinder trail has been transformed into a ski trail and the Central Park trail has been enhanced to include a jump line. It also has upgraded its snow grooming capabilities with the addition of a new Pisten Bully400 ParkPro, which will help optimize snow surface from terrain parks, to moguls and cruising trails. The ski access gates will feature paddles instead of turnstiles and greatly expedite the ticketing process. And, the Last Run lounge has been expanded and updated. Finally, Blue Mountain Resort is turning 40 years old this year on Dec. 22. To celebrate, the resort is hosting a Birthday Bash on January 2 and a host of Throwback Thursday Parties and ticket specials throughout the season."

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's actually Upper Sidewinder that's now a ski trail instead of a jump trail. I think that's great news as it's a really wide, fun, blue trail when there are no features on it. Also it will be fun to have the jump trail in a more visible place so that mere mortals can see the freestyle skiers at work.

I find Blue's trails to be longer and more interesting than those of any other mountain in northeast PA. I mountain bike at Blue in the green season, too, and I have a lot of affection for the place. With that said, be prepared for monster crowds if you go on a weekend. The high-speed six-pack disgorges people at a rapid rate, which keeps the trails packed.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Plenty of snowmaking going on at Blue tonight. I assume that's true for all the PA ski areas. Anyone going skiing in PA this weekend?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
lenty of snowmaking going on at Blue tonight. I assume that's true for all the PA ski areas. Anyone going skiing in PA this weekend?

Blue's guns ran last night and all day today; they are not, however, announcing any terrain expansion. I may go tomorrow morning with the hope that they at least open Upper Main St. The downside of that plan is that if they don't open any new trails, it will be uncomfortably crowded and I'll be stuck at the top of the ridge for a few hours in the little mini-snowstorm that's coming our way.

On the plus side, I bought one of the 20% off gift cards Blue was selling last month, and it's usable at the bar. I think of it as my Beer Season Pass. If the skiing becomes untenable I can either deploy the gift card for emergency bar purposes or find a quiet spot to do some grading.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Plenty of snowmaking going on at Blue tonight. I assume that's true for all the PA ski areas. Anyone going skiing in PA this weekend?

Pretty much everyone is making snow now, even those that aren't open yet... Montage, Jack Frost, Bear Creek. Jackson Frost is planning to open the 15th.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
World's Shortest Trip Report: Showed up at Blue at 7:30 this morning. Left at 8:15.

I confirmed with a staffer that no new terrain would open today. While waiting to activate my season pass, I watched a steady stream of people arriving to ski basically one trail that would also host the BM race and freestyle teams, who were there in big numbers as well.

Decided the risk of collision wasn't worth it. Went home to nap, watch the snowfall, and catch up on work.

marzNC

Angel Diva
World's Shortest Trip Report: Showed up at Blue at 7:30 this morning. Left at 8:15.

I confirmed with a staffer that no new terrain would open today. While waiting to activate my season pass, I watched a steady stream of people arriving to ski basically one trail that would also host the BM race and freestyle teams, who were there in big numbers as well.

Decided the risk of collision wasn't worth it. Went home to nap, watch the snowfall, and catch up on work.
I took a peak at the Blue webcams. With so few trails or other ski areas open in the region, certainly safer to bail.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I took a peak at the Blue webcams. With so few trails or other ski areas open in the region, certainly safer to bail.
Another factor to consider is the pervasive culture of drinking and skiing/riding around here. I joke about it occasionally, but honestly with so little terrain available it becomes a bit frightening.

marzNC

Angel Diva
As more PA ski areas open, a reminder that the places Divas seem to go to more often for assorted reasons are:

Liberty, Whitetail, Roundtop - Snow Time (near DC/Baltimore)
Seven Springs, Hidden Valley, Laurel Mountain - owned/operated by Nutting (near Pittsburgh)
Blue Knob (state park)
Montage (near Scranton)
Blue (near Allentown)
Elk (20 min northeast of Scranton)

Plattekill isn't in PA but not too much farther than Elk if looking for somewhere to ski on a weekend and want to get away from lift lines. Plattekill normally only open Fri-Sun unless there is a big powder storm. Not much lodging close by though.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Blue just announced that they will open tomorrow for what looks like regular-season hours: 8am-10pn.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Montage just announced they are opening at noon on Thursday, 14Dec. Sale on lift tickets for any day, any time for $25! So there will be Divas skiing at Montage this weekend. If you are interested and don't have enough posts to see Divas Only threads, send me a PM and I'll fill in the details.

Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 2.04.29 PM.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna