• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Overwhelmed trying to choose a family ski trip destination for 1st week of Jan..

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Super overwhelmed right now. Any experienced suggestions? Would greatly appreciate any leads... as far as helpful info goes:

We have IKON passes, so I had been weighing nearby options for flying into SLC vs Denver, but now considering traveling for Taos as well.. and I'm sure there are other fantastic options. We'll likely fly via Southwest, if possible, from the DC area.

My daughters are 9 and 12 and advanced beginners -- started last year and after a couple of months could ski any greens and easy blues at Snowshoe. I know they certainly don't need to travel away from the east coast for ski experience at this point, but they'll ski quite a bit at our local mountains this year and I'm excited to take them to see something different/bigger. I'm an advanced intermediate, maybe early expert. My partner is trying to survive on skis, having skiied twice last year. :smile: We have an interesting spread of skills...

I visited Squaw/Alpine last Spring, and will probably want to return but would favor taking my family somewhere different to mix it up a bit for myself. I know the first week of Jan will be busy, so was considering slightly quieter places like... Steamboat? My girls will take lessons for 2-3 days and ski with me for 1-2 days. Overwhelming to compare ski school cost/reviews and try to estimate crowds.

Thanks very much for any thoughts.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ooh.. first place I ever skied, about 30 years ago. That might be fun to return. Will investigate and pm with any questions, thank you!

marzNC

Angel Diva
We have IKON passes, so I had been weighing nearby options for flying into SLC vs Denver, but now considering traveling for Taos as well.. and I'm sure there are other fantastic options. We'll likely fly via Southwest, if possible, from the DC area.
I visited Squaw/Alpine last Spring, and will probably want to return but would favor taking my family somewhere different to mix it up a bit for myself. I know the first week of Jan will be busy, so was considering slightly quieter places like... Steamboat? My girls will take lessons for 2-3 days and ski with me for 1-2 days. Overwhelming to compare ski school cost/reviews and try to estimate crowds.
A good problem to have I guess with Ikon covering so many possibilities. I fly Southwest from RDU for all my ski trips. Checking skis for free is a definite plus. I've skied at a lot of the Ikon destinations in recent years. Sent my daughter to Big Sky with friends one Christmas vacation. They had a blast but the airfare was pricey.

What did you like most about Squaw/Alpine? I wouldn't recommend it during a holiday period. Exactly what dates are you considering for the first week of Jan? How many ski days? Looking for ski in/out lodging or is driving to the slopes daily okay to keep lodging costs lower?

Very hard to avoid crowds during a holiday period. Aspen/Snowmass or Big Sky would be better than any place near SLC except Deer Valley in terms of crowds. Although staying at Solitude could be a low budget approach, and could still drive over to ski at DV a day or two. Are you willing to make the drive from Denver to Aspen in a snowstorm? It's a little early in terms of snow for Taos. Although it's tempting considering the relatively low cost for lessons. One advantage of Steamboat is the lower elevation.

If cost were not a consideration, I think my top picks would be Deer Valley or Aspen/Snowmass based on flying Southwest in early Jan. Solitude and Steamboat would be plenty of fun for a family of beginners/intermediates who plan to make use of ski school. Steamboat has more family-friendly non-skiing activities than Solitude.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you, that was incredibly helpful. After a bit of research, Aspen does not fit my grad student budget this year -- but will keep in mind for another time! Looks like we'd have to stay pretty far away, and it is quite a drive, as you mentioned. I am ok with either being slopeside or a 20 minute drive or so, but if I can afford to be closer, that'd be great. Sometimes the kids wear out sooner, etc. I don't have a specific limit, but if it saves a ton of money to drive to a location, I can certainly do that. If we do Alta at some point, for example, we'll certainly stay in a nearby area in SLC -- great value. Prob not a good week for Alta, though!

I certainly don't expect any mountains to be quiet in early Jan -- but if I can choose an 8/10 vs 10/10 crowd, awesome. Prob Jan 1st-6th, so 3-4 ski days, which is plenty for my girls at this point.

Things I loved about Squaw... very easy to get to (prob a con this week in Jan), Tahoe was gorgeous, fantastic food options in Tahoe, the place was practically a zombie ski mountain midweek in April (both a pro and a con, no lift lines, but shockingly empty)... but mostly, just 2 big mountains to explore. Especially liked Alpine. I started with the blues and moved up and was mostly skiing the easier blacks by the end, once I knew what I was getting myself into. I enjoy being able to move around a mountain and check out new areas -- but there will certainly be terrain anywhere that will challenge me and make me happy. I can ski blue groomers very happily -- the ungroomed black stuff wears me out quickly, will be working on my endurance some this season and taking some more lessons to improve my performance on the off piste. I am easygoing, just want a bigger mountain than Snowshoe, our 5hr drive option nearby, which I love and is great for the SE, but I wouldn't choose to fly to. :smile: Basically just wanting a place that will further my girls' love for skiing in a new environment with a quality ski school :smile:

Sounds like maybe I was headed down a good path with Steamboat, will research Solitude a bit as well.

Thanks so much for your time and thoughts!

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Basically just wanting a place that will further my girls' love for skiing in a new environment with a quality ski school :smile:

Sounds like maybe I was headed down a good path with Steamboat, will research Solitude a bit as well.
I think any of the Ikon destinations have pretty good ski schools. But for that week it would be a good idea to call and see if reservations are needed.

I know of families who have had a good time staying at Solitude. It's easier to have a car for shopping or exploring SLC or Park City. Since Brighton is on Ikon too and just a mile up the canyon, that might be worth exploring for a day. Brighton has night skiing but usually that's not included in a multi-resort pass. I have no idea how busy Solitude and Brighton get during the holidays. Locals might stay away while more travelers go to Alta/Snowbird and Park City.

The main advantage of flying to SLC is that inexpensive lodging in the city is relatively easy to find. Driving around the city is easy for anyone who deals with DC traffic. If you happen to be there during a snowstorm, with a little planning, the UTA Ski Bus is an alternative way to get to the slopes.

In general, it's possible to get around Steamboat without a car. Pretty sure there is a shuttle from Denver airport. Some people who arrive in the afternoon stay on the west side of Denver the first night instead of driving in the dark. Note that rates for rental cars tend to be on the high side in Denver.

I've skied at Snowshoe, as well as most of the ski areas in the southeast and a few in PA. I spoiled my daughter early by taking her to Alta Lodge when she was 8 to meet up with friends in April. We arrived during a blizzard. The next day was blue sky. She was hunting powder on the edges of the greens by the time I picked her up from ski school at 3:00. By age 11, she was a better skier than I was after a few more spring break trips to Alta. Had to take lessons for a few seasons to keep up. :smile:

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My daughter did ski school at Steamboat and loved it! They have a three mile long green groomer from the gondola - which was her first - this is totally cool run!

Not to mention the food in Steamboat is as good as any ski area I have been to.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@LKillick : have you seen the trip reports for Steamboat that @NewEnglandSkier does every year?

I spent a few days at Steamboat as an intermediate when I was working. Had a good time on the long blue groomers. I flew to Hayden.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks so much. Greatly appreciate all the tips and details. I am leaning strongly toward Steamboat, but am going to price out both I think. I'll look up her trip reports, thanks!

Just because I'm feeling a little guilty, we actually really loved Snowshoe. Great experience for my girls, they got great instruction, and we had fun. I was pleasantly surprised. But yeah, want bigger for this trip :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
Do you have the Ikon pass? 25% on your dollar in Canada....Tremblant might be a bit of a drive, but there are flights to Montreal and there is regular bus service.

Except...the first week of January is some sort of University ski club week. Can be a little rowdy. But if you're thinking right after New Years, then they might not be there.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd vote for Steamboat as well. With the skill mix you mention, this resort has everybody covered quite well. Also, there is a very accommodating base area with much to offer from skis to food.
Navigating the slopes from the various sections of the mountain is pretty easy, which helps when you need to regroup.
The town is fun, and your family will have much to choose from as far as lodging goes.
Steamboat dedicates so much to the tourists, which for locals may get old, but because of the visitors, demand for quality and variety may be exactly why this town is a wonderful place to go.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks so much. I did some research, and pretty sure we will go with Steamboat! Flights are cheaper than to SLC for this week, and it looks like it will be a blast. Greatly appreciate the advice!

Jilly, I'd love to visit Tremblant, but we are indeed talking the 1st week of Jan, so perhaps next time!

GeoGirl

Certified Ski Diva
My friend and I will be at Steamboat on January 3 through 6, I'm so freakin' excited about it!!! I haven't seen her in years, and am excited to ski Colorado's fabled powder. Maybe we'll run into you, @LKillick ! :thumbsup: I'm somewhere in skill between your partner and your kids haha. I'm also on a grad student budget and we found a very affordable AirBnB near the resort.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
49348703_10155698097401682_6441620241490378752_n.jpgJust wanted to update -- we LOVED Steamboat. Such a blast. Gorgeous, fantastic skiing, and fun things to do in the evening. Just as you all stated! Thanks so very much for the assistance. Two thumbs up from all of us! We stayed downtown at the Hotel Bristol and it was a total bargain with IKON pricing. Easy ski shuttle, fantastic food.

My girls had fantastic low ratio lessons. I splurged for the kiddo lessons that were limited to 5 students -- it was just them and their instructor the second day! I did a group lesson myself that I would never have normally signed up for -- full day, as they didn't offer shorter lessons that weren't privates. I guess I underestimated my abilities and should have been up a level, but it was still great and I learned some important things that were good to practice on flatter terrain than I normally choose. I had previously been intimidated by full day lessons, worried I would tire too quickly, but it was wonderful. I usually ski alone by default but this was very enjoyable and I will repeat.

We'll definitely be back! Once I'm done with school perhaps I can justify the direct flights from IAD! :smile:

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My friend and I will be at Steamboat on January 3 through 6, I'm so freakin' excited about it!!! I haven't seen her in years, and am excited to ski Colorado's fabled powder. Maybe we'll run into you, @LKillick ! :thumbsup: I'm somewhere in skill between your partner and your kids haha. I'm also on a grad student budget and we found a very affordable AirBnB near the resort.

I don't think I saw this before I left -- but hope you had as much fun as we did!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@LKillick glad you had such a great trip to Steamboat. That is on our list as a future destination. If you make it back to Colorado again at some point we took a trip to Winter Park with our family a couple years ago and loved it.

marzNC

Angel Diva
If you make it back to Colorado again at some point we took a trip to Winter Park with our family a couple years ago and loved it.
Was that trip during mid-season or during Christmas holidays? A friend took his family this Christmas and was unimpressed with WP. But they are a bit spoiled because he's taken them to destination resorts like Aspen and Telluride.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Was that trip during mid-season or during Christmas holidays? A friend took his family this Christmas and was unimpressed with WP. But they are a bit spoiled because he's taken them to destination resorts like Aspen and Telluride.

I'm not sure when Lisa was there specifically but it may have actually been in the same season when I went a few years ago. I was there during MLK weekend in January and thought it was great conditions wise at that point. I was only there for the day as I was in CO for something else and just decided to check it out because it was on the Maxx pass. The bowl there was a lot of fun and I found some great soft bumps and open trees that I was okay venturing into even though I was on my own because they were very visible to others in the area.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna