• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Overcrowding at Epic and Ikon resorts

Christy

Angel Diva
I know we talked about demographic shifts. So many of these places that are really busy are the places that are relatively close to urban areas, particularly in the West.

Related, but I don't know if this has specifically come up – – We hear about the little ski areas that are closing, and people craft the "skiing is dying" narrative from it. Are the ski areas that are closing in geographic areas that are losing population and where all sorts of businesses are going under because of that? In other words, maybe it doesn't have anything to do with skiing at all?

Wendy's article today where the ski industry rep quoted the numbers of ski areas that have closed made me think of this.

Mermimi

Certified Ski Diva
Today A-Basin announced that it's leaving the Epic Pass family. It cited one of its main reasons as overcrowding. (A-Basin's decision is being discussed in this thread).

I talked to a few local folks when I was at Squaw Valley last week- they reported that the blackout weekends are noticeably less crowded than the weekends before or after the holiday and posited that it's due to skiers buying the Ikon base pass and staying away during the blackouts. I'm a midweek skier at Squaw and Alpine and haven't noticed a difference during the week due to the Ikon pass. We do need more snow, though!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Even with the Epic pass blacked out this holiday weekend, Sunday afternoon was crowded at Stowe! I'm not terribly surprised as Saturday was fairly quiet throughout New England due to the temperatures.

Apropos to this thread: I knew it was too crowded and time to go home on Sunday afternoon when I started yelling at people - first to the instructor who almost ran me over (he was obviously going too quickly in what I call the "beginner hell zone" off the Spruce lift on Lower Main Street and slipped) - and then to the beginners who were stopped dead center in a narrow catwalk ("Don't stand in the middle of the trail!")

Obviously, the crowds were expected for a holiday weekend afternoon, and just as obviously, it was time for me to leave before I got too cranky and actually misbehaved!

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Even with the Epic pass blacked out this holiday weekend, Sunday afternoon was crowded at Stowe! I'm not terribly surprised as Saturday was fairly quiet throughout New England due to the temperatures.

Apropos to this thread: I knew it was too crowded and time to go home on Sunday afternoon when I started yelling at people - first to the instructor who almost ran me over (he was obviously going too quickly in what I call the "beginner hell zone" off the Spruce lift on Lower Main Street and slipped) - and then to the beginners who were stopped dead center in a narrow catwalk ("Don't stand in the middle of the trail!")

Obviously, the crowds were expected for a holiday weekend afternoon, and just as obviously, it was time for me to leave before I got too cranky and actually misbehaved!

Oh do you mean the sharp left hand turn to drop to right hand turn right before you can turn off towards sensation? My DH and I call that "carnage corner"! Everytime we go down we stop at the bottom to admire the mayhem and comment that they should have a sign that they can change from green to black diamond each afternoon!

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
Oh do you mean the sharp left hand turn to drop to right hand turn right before you can turn off towards sensation? My DH and I call that "carnage corner"! Everytime we go down we stop at the bottom to admire the mayhem and comment that they should have a sign that they can change from green to black diamond each afternoon!
Yes I agree that spot is treacherous, trying to navigate the ice and crowds of beginners weeble-wobbling everywhere!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
So far no overcrowding at Alta, Snowbird, and Solitude. Though I commented to a chairlift partner today about how empty it was, and she said that there were a lot of people. The longest lift line was 2 minutes.

We are going to try Deer Valley tomorrow. I guess we'll see how it is on a Saturday.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna