• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Overcrowding at Epic and Ikon resorts

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know in the east there is a local Facebook group where there’s a great forecaster very specifically discussing areas in New England and where storms are going to favor which specific resorts etc. I’ve been thinking that this has been a very influential dynamic this season that I haven’t seen before this. A lot of people follow along, and then they post updates from said resorts and report on conditions. Not sure if this would work the same in other areas, but New England has so many resorts within a short drive of eachother that I definitely think this can influence decision making for people with and without the big passes if they are just looking for where the most snow or best conditions will be.

After the crowds of this past weekend, someone posted "new strategy: see where is getting the most powder and go somewhere else!"

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Luckily, I generally always ski mid week. Any weekend at any MT in USA IMO has 'crowds'. Add Powder, blue skies and the crowds will be crazy.

My recent trip west confirmed this; we skied Solitude on Sunday it was crowded by my standards. Then Monday- Friday we enjoyed skiing right on to lifts, empty trails and good customer service since they weren't rushed. We skied Brighton on Monday after 5" we had no people we parked in the 3rd row at 10am! Deer Valley we skied 3 days and had no issues, except we had to sit in the middle room for 1 lunch, lol.

We went to Alta on Friday and had no people. Saturday was busy both at Alta and Snowbird- Locals, locals locals. It was their fault LOL. So many locals ONLY ski when there is 6"or more Pow- oh to be so spoiled. It goes both ways.. it was bluebird sky with gorgeous snow and temps. Fair weather also brings out the fans.

Limiting ticket sales seems to work. Charging for parking (Solitude was 10$ for 3 of us instead of $20) Considering I beat the IKON pass before I ever went west, paying to park is nominal and I'll pay instead of walking. Solitude has ZERO bag storage- $20 for a day locker- not so bad when you split it 3 ways but definitely a punch in the wallet for families.

Has anyone talked to the employees in the local motels, hotels, bars and restaurants? While people grouse about the multi-passes and blaming them for the crowds They are bringing $$$ into snow towns and the locals pocketbooks. I wonder if technology in skis has increased volume? Skis/equipment clothing all are so much more user friendly making skiing a fun sport instead of work.

Many factors in play. I love the Multi-Mt passes, I could never afford to pay out of pocket to ski the Mts I have been too. I'll continue to avoid skiing on weekends but if I have too, I'll be seeking out the lifts 'way over there' that aren't as busy.

mustski

Angel Diva
What I see happening is that ticket window prices have gone way up - even the buy in advance and save % prices. The Ikon and the Epic passes are fairly reasonable priced during early season sales. Even occasional skiers are choosing to buy the passes because it just makes sense. I think a natural outcome of purchasing a pass is the desire to use it more often and get your money's worth. There is probably a sizable increase in weekend crowds near urban areas because folks are getting their money's worth.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Before High Speed Lifts standing in line to ride a t-bar was always 30min..

People who stood in line at Vail for 3+ hrs??? Either they paid the 200$ ticket price and HAD to get in a run to justify OR were there just to say they skied???

NO WAY would I stand in line for 3+ Hrs unless the run was over 5K vertical..

As My Friend says. Sometimes it's best to go to the Brown chair.. (the bar stool)

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I think @nopoleskier makes a valid point... The overcrowding seems to be most severe on weekend powder days when locals flock to the hill in droves. I imagine there are very few out-of-state multi pass holders who have the flexibility to coordinate a last minute “pow is now” trip.

Except in New England - when people will drive 2-4 hours each way on a single day to get a powder day.

No one in VT would call someone from Boston a local.

Christy

Angel Diva
What do we think will be the less crowded day this holiday weekend--Sunday or Monday? For a non-destination ski area near a lot of people.

Seattle schools have all of next week off for mid-winter break. Am I crazy to think that Sunday might not be so bad? (How is it that I don't know the answer to this from previous years?).

ETA:
Just saw the forecast. I think I answered my own question. It will probably be crowded.

1581638133723.png

ddskis

Certified Ski Diva
Oh dangit!! Actually got out today and FINALLY broke the Friday rain curse. Snow was absolutely delicious and the weather was the full smorgasbord that is the PNW.

Bombs were going off way into opening and the chairs were frustratingly slow to open, esp backside Stevens.

But snow conditions were the best I’ve skied this year. Wanted to keep going and going and going but the legs were quivering jelly after 4 solid hours.

Was supposed to go family skiing Sunday, but folks already bailing at the mere thought of the crowds!

Rode up a chair w/ a guy from back east who said he’d never skied powder. Traveling around on his epic pass. So I guess even our tiny mtn is attracting epic visitors.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Any A-basin skiers here? How has the parking situation been since the switch to Ikon?

Just skied the Saturday of Presidents Day weekend at A-Basin and it was full but not crowded at all. The last parking lot never filled up and I never waited in a lift line for more than 10 minutes. Most lifts were ski on. It was fantastic really.

I’m wondering if the Ikon pass is going to offer more options in addition to 5/7 day and unlimited in the future so mountains have more flexibility to opt in to the number of additional skier visits that they can handle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly