• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Out west in the summertime

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So for my 50th next summer, I’m thinking I would like to visit the mountains out west during a season without snow. I’ve often wondered what places look like without several feet of snow upon them. Back in 88’ I visited Rocky Mountain National Park, we’ve done the Grand Canyon rim and Hoover damn. Also Vegas ( so not my style) my parents live in Phoenix, so I’m looking for other suggestions.

I should bring harold along, so maybe some gold mining, or gem hunting areas might be a good activity to include him. He’s a very laid back guy and not into too much activity.

I would like hiking and sightseeing. And just anything outdoorsy. Nothing too crazy.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I will not be attending diva west this year. I’ll be visiting Mom and dad that week then headed to Taos the week after. Have fun at snowmass. I know I did when we were all there two years ago :smile:

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lots of cool places to visit. I'd say fires (like the horrible ones this year) are the greatest threat to ruining your vacation plans. Any of the western ski areas are super hiking/biking. Northern California up the inside and down the coast is Spectacular. I did a volcano tour one year. Also Washington State offers Lots of waterfalls to hike along the Columbia River.. Yosemite and Mammoth are SUPERB. Utah ah....Bryce Canyon, Zion, Escalante Plateau -Then there's Yellowstone, Grand Tetons.. You could Get a National Park pass and go to them I'll brain storm w/you in Taos... so many places so little time..

Christy

Angel Diva
Like others said, there are a million options. A few things to keep in mind:

National parks are hugely suffering from crowds. Most parks are setting visitation records each year. If you want an NP trip consider coming after Labor Day (weather is still generally good) or, if you don't mind crowds, just really do the legwork (so you'd know, for example, that it can take 3 hours to get in or out of Yosemite Valley due to traffic if you stay outside the park). Make reservations very early. The Ahwahnee aka the Majestic Yosemite Hotel in Yosemite screams "milestone birthday splurge." :smile:

But if you don't want to deal with crowds...

The Sun Valley/Ketchum area is an amazing destination in summer. It gets far, far fewer than other western resort towns. There are 5 mountain ranges there and so trails and roads don't get crowded, even in August. The Sawtooths look like the Tetons, but hardly anyone goes there. Sun Valley Lodge would be another nice birthday splurge. So would Idaho Rocky Mountain Ranch, just north. There is great rafting and hiking. And Idaho is the gem state...lots of mining history around there. Lots of hot springs too. Easy drive from Boise, but not enough people live near Boise to clog up the area (unlike mountains near LA, SF, Denver or Seattle). If you want an outdoorsy trip but with a good small town, good food/hotel options, this is a great pick.

If you really don't want to deal with crowds that will help narrow your choices (which does make it easier).

I think the warning about fires is a good one. You might just make sure your hotel is refundable and have a plan B.

You might get some travel books with glossy photos from your library and see what really speaks to you.

Alaska has lots of gold panning tours/experiences and you can't beat the scenery or wildlife.

If scenery is the most important thing--I personally think the prettiest mountain scenery in the Lower 48 is the northern Rockies (Glacier NP and north into Canada), the North Cascades/Mt Rainier in WA, and the High Sierra in CA.

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ohhh I like the Idaho idea. Sun valley :smile:

Harold has done Alaska a few times. I would like to stay in the lower 48 this go round.

So lots to think about. Especially about fire season.

Rainbow Jenny

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Like others said, there are a million options. A few things to keep in mind:

National parks are hugely suffering from crowds. Most parks are setting visitation records each year. If you want an NP trip consider coming after Labor Day (weather is still generally good) or, if you don't mind crowds, just really do the legwork (so you'd know, for example, that it can take 3 hours to get in or out of Yosemite Valley due to traffic if you stay outside the park). Make reservations very early. The Ahwahnee aka the Majestic Yosemite Hotel in Yosemite screams "milestone birthday splurge." :smile:

But if you don't want to deal with crowds...

The Sun Valley/Ketchum area is an amazing destination in summer. It gets far, far fewer than other western resort towns. There are 5 mountain ranges there and so trails and roads don't get crowded, even in August. The Sawtooths look like the Tetons, but hardly anyone goes there. Sun Valley Lodge would be another nice birthday splurge. So would Idaho Rocky Mountain Ranch, just north. There is great rafting and hiking. And Idaho is the gem state...

If scenery is the most important thing--I personally think the prettiest mountain scenery in the Lower 48 is the northern Rockies (Glacier NP and north into Canada), the North Cascades/Mt Rainier in WA, and the High Sierra in CA.

Thanks for the tips! I got a permit to hike Half Dome on Labor Day Monday with 3 former classmates. Was originally going to stay in Wawona but one really wants to be in the Yosemite Valley for a short drive to trail head, so I’m going along with splurging for one night at a Ahwahnee cabin but want to either camp or get a modest tent cabin for one night after the hike. Do you think I’ll have trouble getting a camp site as a walk-in? Kinda hoping Labor Day weekend crowd will have mostly gone home on Monday...

I went to Sun Valley twice for summer professional conferences around the turn of the millennium and absolutely love it there. A few friends were river guides there and it seemed pretty busy back then in town. But with 5 mtn ranges, sounds like one just needs to get out on the trails!

I second Glacier, Rainier, and North Cascades. Would also add Crater Lake NP. Will definitely put on my list to spend more time in the High Sierra ...

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ohhh I like the Idaho idea. Sun valley :smile:

Harold has done Alaska a few times. I would like to stay in the lower 48 this go round.

So lots to think about. Especially about fire season.

You should be okay in terms of fire season if you go before the end of July in the Idaho/Montana areas. Farther south they start earlier though.

Christy

Angel Diva
I’m going along with splurging for one night at a Ahwahnee cabin but want to either camp or get a modest tent cabin for one night after the hike. Do you think I’ll have trouble getting a camp site as a walk-in? Kinda hoping Labor Day weekend crowd will have mostly gone home on Monday...

The park's website says spring through fall you need to be there mid-morning, when people are checking out, to have a shot at getting an unreserved site. I'd check every day to see if there's been a cancellation for a reservable campsite. There is such traffic leaving the valley in late afternoon/evening I'd hate to be shut out then have to drive hours for a place to stay.

I've never stayed at the Ahwahnee so I'm jealous. :smile: Just hung out in the lobby as I was taking breaks from working and I've also gotten to crawl around behind the scenes in non-public areas. Pres Obama and family stayed in one of the cabins.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/nrcamping.htm

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Will the fires foil your plan?

I've hiked Half Dome before... back in the day no permit was needed and you could spend the night. "Halloween on Half Dome" was a tribe favorite event.

Rainbow Jenny

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Will the fires foil your plan?

I've hiked Half Dome before... back in the day no permit was needed and you could spend the night. "Halloween on Half Dome" was a tribe favorite event.

Half Dome hike is still a month away. We’re keeping our fingers crossed. The other three have all hiked HD when we were in school together, but I wasn’t exposed to or taken interest in the great outdoor until much later . They all have turned 50 with kids who are at a more independent age, so we are quite excited about this ladies’ trip!

The fun part about this outing is now there’s a request from another classmate to have me organize and announce an annual hiking trip through our FB group page. So I’m looking forward to encouraging and challenging them to continue/return to their active lifestyle!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna