• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Out on the trails in 2021

Tennessee

Angel Diva
Wildflowers from a hike this week on the AT near Watauga Lake. Got to meet a LOT of through hikers. If you start in GA in March, you are passing through here right about now. Interesting to hear a little bit of their stories. Wildflowers in order are: pink Lady Slippers, Fire Pink, Lacy Phacelia4C38AB98-751F-4C1A-B658-7EC118A33215.jpeg171E7649-8F56-46E2-BC4A-115DAFBA9E60.jpegF099464D-EFD4-4973-AB58-75E0190ABC88.jpegAE944EAF-24D4-4407-A3DF-EFBEE745EA76.jpeg

Christy

Angel Diva
On the trail in the Methow Valley area, on the east side of the North Cascades. Flowers, lots of sun, and the hills in this dry area are green right now. The lupine smells so good! We ate lunch at a high point above a canyon and the cliff swallows did acrobatics all around--they kept buzzing us!

20210515_110303-01.jpeg

20210515_110748-01-01.jpeg
20210515_120503-01.jpeg

lisaski

Certified Ski Diva
Wow. I enjoyed looking at pics from all of you. Great variety of landscapes! Where I live on the back side of the Wasatch in Utah, the trails near my home are usually dry enough to mountain bike in April. I have been out there riding my bike until the fabulous trails in Park City become snow free. Here is a picture from the Coyote Hills trails across the highway from my neighborhood.

mtbheber0.jpg

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here are some photos of the trails I've been exploring lately. They do not have beautiful views off into the distance, but they are fun to hike and run on. There's lots of granite to challenge one's footing, and I like the challenges.

There are big rocks beside the trail. Everywhere.
trailside rocks.jpg
There are big rocks beneath the trail, sometimes exposed for a ways. This is solid granite slab.
trail across exposed slab.jpg
I get to do lots of water crossings. It's cool here.
water crossing #2.jpg
More exposed slab. These pines are amazing. However do they root on solid granite?
trail on exposed slab #2.jpg
Another water crossing.
water crossing #3.jpg
Here's a bit of gentle trail.
trail with littledrama.jpg

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
How did I miss this thread?! The pictures are wonderful. Hiking is my other favorite outdoor activity. Shenandoah, Bull Run, Old Rag mountain — those were the days. I can’t do as much of it as I used to due to my bad knees :frown:. Last time I was out I couldn’t even do 3 miles before my right knee screamed bloody murder going downhill. Sigh. My left knee can’t ski; my right knee can’t hike. This is not how I planned things!

Tennessee

Angel Diva
Sorry to hear about your knee issues @Ski Sine Fine. The knee is a complicated and problematic joint. You mentioned “Old Rag Mountain” and I just wanted to say I have done that hike and it was awesome! Very memorable day. Loved the rocks and crevasses that you hike around and up and through. Great hike. Thanks for the memory from probably 30 years ago. The Shenandoah area is great!

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Sorry to hear about your knee issues @Ski Sine Fine. The knee is a complicated and problematic joint. You mentioned “Old Rag Mountain” and I just wanted to say I have done that hike and it was awesome! Very memorable day. Loved the rocks and crevasses that you hike around and up and through. Great hike. Thanks for the memory from probably 30 years ago. The Shenandoah area is great!
Yes! The rock scramble is the attraction and highlight of the hike. I’m afraid I wouldn’t be able to do that hike in my current condition :frown:.

newboots

Angel Diva
How did I miss this thread?! The pictures are wonderful. Hiking is my other favorite outdoor activity. Shenandoah, Bull Run, Old Rag mountain — those were the days. I can’t do as much of it as I used to due to my bad knees :frown:. Last time I was out I couldn’t even do 3 miles before my right knee screamed bloody murder going downhill. Sigh. My left knee can’t ski; my right knee can’t hike. This is not how I planned things!

Ohh, such a shame. I feel you! Having had a wide assortment of ortho difficulties this year, I’m starting to get a little hike-shy. Not to mention the ticks, that are rampant here and I do have a history with them. :frown: :boom:

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/annual-alert.25797/

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Christie I just love Pacific forests. Growing up on the East Coast and Germany I’ve always loved forested lands but once I move to California I learned how much I REALLY love the forest.

@Ski Sine Fine My heart goes out to you. I had a silly fall getting off the a ski lift a couple of years ago and injured my knees. Ironically enough, the injury doesn’t bother me much while skiing. Hiking, on the other hand, is no longer very pleasurable. I hope you are able to recover. A friend of mine recently had knee surgery that went very well. I wish you similar success.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been able to get out on a few backpacking trips the past week and its been pretty fun. I haven't been to the high peaks in a while, so it was nice to get above treeline.

602AB89E-887A-4029-BB08-F8D44E39C3A7_1_105_c.jpeg
Trip 1 was with my kids on their first backpacking trip; they did great and want to do it again (helps that i carried most of the gear, but then at 5 and 7 i wanted to keep it easy for them)

486FB64A-6CD9-4728-8FEC-75E4840AD96D_4_5005_c.jpeg
Trip 2 was with a group of women to RMNP and I got to do some decent hiking and see some lovely alpine lakes and peaks.

Christy

Angel Diva
Since my last photos in this thread were from Sequoia...

I saw this photo today and it made me burst into tears. So many millions of acres burned in recent years, some in places I know and love, but a fire at the edge of the Giant Forest has the potential to be so tragic. This such a place of profound joy to so many people. (And yes I know fire has historically been part of the sequoia ecosystem...but not these very intense fires that we have now). It just makes me so sad. 2300+ year old trees and the best we can do is wrap a bit of foil around it.

1631925514604.png

newboots

Angel Diva
Oh, @Christy , I heard about this on the radio this morning. How tragic! There is something deeply spiritual about those forests, and I am desperately sad about it (and about all that is happening to our earth).

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
We’re a really small, stupid species.
ETA: Literally, the concept of climate change has been studied for my entire lifetime, and for that entire time, there have been people who have manipulated the scientific process to create uncertainty and doubt about taking action.

I get so angry for subsequent generations who are careening towards what was once a sci-fi dystopia a la Mad Max. I try to parent my children to be generous and giving souls, and then wonder if I am setting them up to fail in a relentlessly ignorant and selfish world.

Sorry for the Friday night downer. But, hey, my ski pass and my boots are acquired, so we’ll live our best lives and keep working for the right outcomes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly