• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Out for the season

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I've just read through your posts in this thread to catch up on what's going on with you. It sounds like you have a real dilemma deciding what to do about skiing in the future. I found the reply you posted from the knowledgeable knee surgeon on that other forum quite thorough... and sobering. I also looked up what a distal femoral replacement is.

What are you thinking you might do as ski season approaches this upcoming winter? Do you have numerous options in mind?

Is not skiing one of your options? If so, what would you replace it with?

My options are to ski, to defer my IKON pass to the following season, or to give up skiing.

Unfortunately my focus on skiing has been such that I don't really have a different option. My seasons are skiing and looking forward to skiing. The thought that I couldn't ski again has overshadowed all my other thoughts in the past months. It has even sapped my motivation to continue strengthening the leg, which is currently almost strong enough for normal non athletic activities.

I'm considering other activities that will get me to the snow in the winter. I might try snowshoeing. There's always cross country skiing, but as a newbie I would still have a risk of falling, though probably at a lower speed. There is also sit skiing, though I don't quite see myself doing that.

I'm not quite ready to clarify my plans for next season, but even the possibility of skiing has brightened my outlook.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It does sound like you need to think this one through wisely.

Sitski ... I hadn't thought of that. Would you have access to training? I've always admired people who sitski. I occasionally see them at the mountains where I ski. They usually aren't alone, though. They have instructors with them.

You've been skiing your whole life, right? Transitioning to cross-country would probably not be a big deal once you got the right equipment and a tiny bit of instruction. Are there flat areas near you that would be fun to do?

I've recently discovered the fun that snow shoeing offers. I go out on narrow technical mountain bike trails here in New England. I sometimes get to break trail, which is a blast. I feel like I'm on another planet. Other times I'm on tracked-out trails with loud thaw-freeze surfaces (like loud snow when alpine skiing), but still fun as long as I have the right snowshoes that can offer solid grip. So much fun! I can't remember falling ever on snowshoes.

When I went out on old give-away cross-country skis and soft boots that felt like they were made of chamois cloth (that didn't fit), in 8" of untracked powder, across meadows and open ungroomed trails, I definitely fell. Often. That was my only experience with cross-country. Next time I'm going on rental equipment with an instructor. I don't want to repeat the last time.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I fear the sitski idea. You have a single ski under you, or maybe two skis close together which effectively work as one. You can't do a wedge to stop or slow down.

"For all new skiers, the Pizza Pie is how you stop. It's how you stay safe...But what happens if you are in a mono-ski and are unable to create this Pizza Pie? What if you freeze up out of fear, unable to stop, but too afraid to fall over? Well, then you become a very fast freakin' French Fry."

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I fear the sitski idea. You have a single ski under you, or maybe two skis close together which effectively work as one. You can't do a wedge to stop or slow down.

"For all new skiers, the Pizza Pie is how you stop. It's how you stay safe...But what happens if you are in a mono-ski and are unable to create this Pizza Pie? What if you freeze up out of fear, unable to stop, but too afraid to fall over? Well, then you become a very fast freakin' French Fry."

I'm not sure, but I believe that you are tethered to an instructor when using a bi-ski. That may not be the case when you progress to a mono-ski.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
SO glad to hear this promising news! Keep up the hard work and positive attitude! :thumbsup:

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I assume you will be tethered until you have good control. You won’t know if you like it until you try it!

In mid July I plan to see a different surgeon who specializes in revision surgery. I want to get a second opinion about how my leg is healing and whether the prothesis is well anchored. This evaluation will become part of my decision about sitting out the coming season.

If I don't ski next season, I intend to
take a dual lesson in March with Disabled Sports - part sit ski and part ski with the Againer exoskeleton. Based on how it goes I will start skiing in the spring when my deferred pass becomes good...or...I will try to get a refund on the pass.

Enough said. Stay tuned.

newboots

Angel Diva
In mid July I plan to see a different surgeon who specializes in revision surgery. I want to get a second opinion about how my leg is healing and whether the prothesis is well anchored. This evaluation will become part of my decision about sitting out the coming season.

If I don't ski next season, I intend to
take a dual lesson in March with Disabled Sports - part sit ski and part ski with the Againer exoskeleton. Based on how it goes I will start skiing in the spring when my deferred pass becomes good...or...I will try to get a refund on the pass.

Enough said. Stay tuned.
Any news? I'm probably jumping the gun, but now that I'm here again, I'm eager to know.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
@newboots thanks for the question. I saw the new orthopedist yesterday and he was very encouraging. It was nice to hear his opinion on how well I'm doing. Though I know that I'm not quite where I want to be yet, I feel pretty normal most of the time.

He felt that I could ski again and would be at no more risk than any other Divas with similar osteoperosis. However, he fully endorsed my sitting out the coming season as I described above. I have made my peace with this restriction and am pretty happy that it isn't permanent.

I just have to keep reminding myself...in January and February and March... that there is light at the end of that tunnel and that patience will get me there.

His last words to me were: "See you on the slopes."

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
@newboots thanks for the question. I saw the new orthopedist yesterday and he was very encouraging. It was nice to hear his opinion on how well I'm doing. Though I know that I'm not quite where I want to be yet, I feel pretty normal most of the time.

He felt that I could ski again and would be at no more risk than any other Divas with similar osteoperosis. However, he fully endorsed my sitting out the coming season as I described above. I have made my peace with this restriction and am pretty happy that it isn't permanent.

I just have to keep reminding myself...in January and February and March... that there is light at the end of that tunnel and that patience will get me there.

So glad for this update! Stinks to miss another season, but at least you can defer your pass, right?

MissySki

Angel Diva

Wonderful news!!!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
So glad for this update! Stinks to miss another season, but at least you can defer your pass, right?

Yes, I intend to defer my pass by the beginning of December. Hopefully I will be able to start using it in the spring.

If I take one or more lessons with Disabled Sports, the lessons will include four hours of instruction, equipment and a lift ticket. A bargain at $105, plus I will be able to gauge how I really feel about getting back on skis without activating my pass. If I'm comfortable, I will start skiing again when the pass is good. I figure that if I am uncomfortable on the slopes with a dedicated instructor, then I will wait until the following winter and give it one more try.

Meanwhile, I am highly motivated to work on strength and balance.

EasternSkiBum

Certified Ski Diva
I just read through your thread.... keep up the good work and you'll be back. When I saw the date of this injury I had to empathize... I broke my leg ... Tibial plateau with torn up lateral meniscus on Dec. 5, 1994. It was day 1 of my season and yes I was not doing anything fast or skiing difficult terrain. Just fell but my ski dug in and all my momentum came to an abrupt stop compressing my leg. I'm now needing a TKR... the arthritis has taken its toll. Coming back from injury is not always easy... but it is so rewarding and it sounds like your on your way to doing just that.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I just read through your thread.... keep up the good work and you'll be back. When I saw the date of this injury I had to empathize... I broke my leg ... Tibial plateau with torn up lateral meniscus on Dec. 5, 1994. It was day 1 of my season and yes I was not doing anything fast or skiing difficult terrain. Just fell but my ski dug in and all my momentum came to an abrupt stop compressing my leg. I'm now needing a TKR... the arthritis has taken its toll. Coming back from injury is not always easy... but it is so rewarding and it sounds like your on your way to doing just that.

I had a tibia plateau fracture and some years later needed a TKR due to arthritis. I had it in May 2012 and was very ready to ski by November.

Will you be able to put off the TKR until after next season?

Thanks for the good wishes and best of luck to you.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Thanks for all the support over the past year. It's been a real help. Yes, it's the one year anniversary of my accident. Of course I had hoped to commemorate it on the slopes, but that isn't happening. Maybe next December 4.

I just reread the entire 10 page thread about my journey. It reminded me of the various milestones along the way. It's turning into a very snowy ski season and I could probably ski if I hadn't deferred my season pass. But I have to keep my eyes on the ultimate goal of not putting the healing process at risk by skiing before I am closer to 100%.

Meanwhile...
I just have to keep busy and not dwell on how my life has been impacted. As you can imagine there are plenty of projects around the house to keep me occupied while DH skis. There's also lunch with friends, continued PT, long walks, good books, etc. I recently started taking swimming lessons as I would like to have that as another exercise and also for fun. So life goes on... I'm seeing my surgeon this month for a one year follow-up. I'm sure he'll be pleased to know that I took his advice about not skiing until the spring.

Thanks as always for the opportunity to vent a bit. Stay tuned.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for all the support over the past year. It's been a real help. Yes, it's the one year anniversary of my accident. Of course I had hoped to commemorate it on the slopes, but that isn't happening. Maybe next December 4.

I just reread the entire 10 page thread about my journey. It reminded me of the various milestones along the way. It's turning into a very snowy ski season and I could probably ski if I hadn't deferred my season pass. But I have to keep my eyes on the ultimate goal of not putting the healing process at risk by skiing before I am closer to 100%.

Meanwhile...
I just have to keep busy and not dwell on how my life has been impacted. As you can imagine there are plenty of projects around the house to keep me occupied while DH skis. There's also lunch with friends, continued PT, long walks, good books, etc. I recently started taking swimming lessons as I would like to have that as another exercise and also for fun. So life goes on... I'm seeing my surgeon this month for a one year follow-up. I'm sure he'll be pleased to know that I took his advice about not skiing until the spring.

Thanks as always for the opportunity to vent a bit. Stay tuned.
I'm in a similar boat .... broke the Tibial Plateau on left leg, tore up the meniscus on right knee am off for more MRI's on Thursday to check out the right ankle and left knee for more ligament damage .... fingers crossed it isnt too serious and can all be fixed with PT ready for our next NZ season. I've already got my season pass so I hope I'm in a position to use it !! xx

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I'm in a similar boat .... broke the Tibial Plateau on left leg, tore up the meniscus on right knee am off for more MRI's on Thursday to check out the right ankle and left knee for more ligament damage .... fingers crossed it isnt too serious and can all be fixed with PT ready for our next NZ season. I've already got my season pass so I hope I'm in a position to use it !! xx
Good luck @AJM and wishing you a speedy recovery!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly