• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Opportunity to ski Whistler in Feb- know of any good lodging/lift tix deals out there??

h2orider

Certified Ski Diva
Lodging is crazy expensive out there, just looking for a cheap room, it's just me. I have a work trip to Seattle which I'm TRYING very hard to make it an extended weekend into Whistler..Lodging, not easy to find cheap! Ideas?

Christy

Angel Diva
What dates are you going? Lodging isn't usually particularly expensive compared to the big US resorts, except for the luxury hotels. I often do the last minute deals on the W-B website. They have them 2 weeks in advance only and unless it's a holiday, you should be able to get a great hotel (often one of the luxury ones) for under $200. I wouldn't hesitate to wait until a week or so prior ( sometimes they are more expensive when first posted then go down) to get a last minute deal.

We've also used alluradirect.com a lot for condos, and have almost never paid more than 150 a night, though I looked for the next couple weekends and there's hardly any inventory. It seems like a lot of their places have been rented for the season.

If you want legitimately cheap, there are hostels. There's one that sounds much nicer than your average hostel, can't remember what it's called but you'll find it ifyou Google. And staying in Squamish wouldn't be terrible; it's 30 minutes away, but there are chain hotels that aren't expensive. You might check Air b&b too.

Good luck!

Jilly

Staff member
I just got an email from Whistler Superior which is a company that rents out private units. They have a deal going. Not sure of your dates...

https://www.whistlersuperior.com/

Lift tickets - check out Costco. If you'd been a Canuck or live in Washington state there is a great deal, but....WI doesn't cut it.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also try ResortQuest for on-mountain lodging. They sound like Whistler Superior. I personally like skiing out of Blackcomb because the walk can sometimes be a drag from the Whistler-based lodging, and if I'm shelling out the money to be on the mountain, I don't like to schlep my skis far.

btw, I moved this thread to "Resorts, Conditions & Travel"

h2orider

Certified Ski Diva
All good to know, thank you! I've been trying the usual hotwire, orbitz, mountain website etc. since I'm not familiar with that area AT ALL, the Blackcomb tip, huge since if I only have 3 days, not enough, I don't want to be muling my gear around!

h2orider

Certified Ski Diva
I just got an email from Whistler Superior which is a company that rents out private units. They have a deal going. Not sure of your dates...

https://www.whistlersuperior.com/

Lift tickets - check out Costco. If you'd been a Canuck or live in Washington state there is a great deal, but....WI doesn't cut it.
Hmm, I'm a Costco member, wonder if there is something I can do to obtain these tix deals, I'm going to call, great tip..thanks!

Christy

Angel Diva
For some reason the big travel sites don't have good prices for Whistler. I suspect hotels just give the discounts to the WB site. Even for the MLK weekend coming up, there is a last minute deal for a 4 star hotel for ~$150.

Often you can get discounted tickets through your lodging. Buying online on the WB site is discounted, though Feb is the most expensive month (along with March). You can buy discounted tix at EVO and other places in Seattle, and at 7-11 in Squamish on the way up, but I'm almost positive that's not cheaper than buying online.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't want to be muling my gear around!

It's not that bad, really, I'm just extraordinarily lazy and want to take complete advantage of paying to be there -- otherwise I may as well stay in a hotel in Squamish and park in a lot, you know? But, I feel that Blackcomb is more compact than Whistler. I think it's apparent when you pull up the base area maps. The 4-star hotels are well-situatated, so if you can get in there for an affordable price, I'd go with it!

kit125

Certified Ski Diva
I personally don't have an issue with walking from Whistler Village to Blackcomb....it's 5 mins (although, I guess it depends where you stay)! I like to stay at the Holiday Inn in Whistler Village. 5 star is it not, but you do get a "mini-condo" (full kitchen, fireplace, whirlpool tub) and it CAN be relatively cheap (although, supply and demand dictates, but I recently saw rates there for well-below $150/nt.). If you happen to be a member, you can use IHG Reward points there relatively easily as well. It's not like the yucky Holiday Inns you might be familiar with in the States. If this is a property you're interested in, you can also sign up for the Chase IHG Rewards Credit Card and get a free night certificate.

Jilly

Staff member
I was wondering if the 7-11 tix were still available. I don't see WB on the Costco site, so they don't do them anymore. (Tremblant does!)

Are you an AMEX member - there could be some deals there.

kit125

Certified Ski Diva
If you are a part of AMEX Membership Rewards, you can use your points for lift tickets at Whistler. Here is what's available:
11, 000 Whistler One-Day Adult Lift Ticket
29,000 Whistler Three-Day Adult Lift Ticket
43,000 Whistler Five-Day Adult Lift Ticket

Whistler is also part of the Mountain Collective pass, if you happen to have it....(Too bad they are sold out for the year.)

Christy

Angel Diva
I also hate walking with my gear and agree with Pequenita that the Blackcomb base is probably the best for ski in/out. But, there are free buses that stop at numerous points around Whistler Village (and Blackcomb Benchlands, above the base) so no matter where you stay, you shouldn't be far from a shuttle stop. And you won't have more than a few minutes ride to the lifts.

We always stay at Nita Lake Lodge this days due to their super dog friendliness (and it's a wonderful hotel otherwise). They have their own shuttle that will take you to any lift you want, which I love. It's pricey in high season but we can usually get them as a last minute deal.

Christy

Angel Diva
Oh and it sounds like you're going to be there on the weekend. Whistler during prime season on a weekend is crazy busy. Definitely do all the usual stuff you'd do at a busy ski area--get there at opening, head up into the alpine right away if it's open, go in for lunch early, lap some of the less popular lifts (ie Garbanzo or maybe Crystal Chair, though they remade Crystal this year so it might not be as overlooked anymore), If you start out at Whistler Village (rather than Blackcomb or Creekside) and there's a long line for the gondola, take the Fitzimmons chair up instead (it's just to the left of the gondola and no one takes it).

h2orider

Certified Ski Diva
This is great, thanks for all the tips! This is kind of an on the fly trip as I'm combining it with a Seattle work trip so all of this information really helps me sort through a lot that's out there! I know Whistler is Whistler and all but if I can't make my pricing work out is there anywhere worthwhile near Seattle to check out for a few days? Christy?

Christy

Angel Diva
Crystal Mountain. It's 2600 acres, has terrain for all abilities (a lot of people say its best for experts, and while it's true they'll get the most out of it, I think there is plenty for intermediates), and has lodging at the base. Overpriced lodging, because it's the only slopeside lodging in WA state, but still. Weekday prices aren't too bad. It's generally an easier drive than the other ski areas, too. It's about 2 hours away.
https://crystalmountainresort.com/

I like the bit Warren Miller did a few years ago on Crystal:

Stevens Pass and the 4 Snoqualmie Summit areas are closer to Seattle, and Mt Baker, White Pass and Mission Ridge are further (though technically doable as a day trip from Seattle), but I'd recommend Crystal most. Or you could stay at motels nearer to any of these. Keep in touch re conditions. Who knows how things will be--this has been such a funny season.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
72-hour ResortQuest sale going on now!

Errrr, I realized that my email address was at the bottom of the ResortQuest message, so I'm reposting the salient info instead of the link. :smile:

72 HOUR SALE

Must book by January 16 at 11:59 PM

Limited time offer!

Hurry for the best selection of accommodation in the locations you want to be!

Offer valid for select dates February - April

1-888-699-4055

h2orider

Certified Ski Diva
Crystal Mountain. It's 2600 acres, has terrain for all abilities (a lot of people say its best for experts, and while it's true they'll get the most out of it, I think there is plenty for intermediates), and has lodging at the base. Overpriced lodging, because it's the only slopeside lodging in WA state, but still. Weekday prices aren't too bad. It's generally an easier drive than the other ski areas, too. It's about 2 hours away.
https://crystalmountainresort.com/

I like the bit Warren Miller did a few years ago on Crystal:

Stevens Pass and the 4 Snoqualmie Summit areas are closer to Seattle, and Mt Baker, White Pass and Mission Ridge are further (though technically doable as a day trip from Seattle), but I'd recommend Crystal most. Or you could stay at motels nearer to any of these. Keep in touch re conditions. Who knows how things will be--this has been such a funny season.
Crystal has been recommended as well as Stevens Pass. I've heard there's been a lot of rain in Seattle, if that translates to snow in the mountains that's maybe good!? Still trying to work it out, I've found a couple good looking places to just crash on airbnb.com, since it's only me, I can't stand paying for more than I really need which is just a clean bed/place to stay!

veronicarella

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The 72 hour that ends today is great! We just snagged a great deal (~40% off) on an one-bedroom plus den condo! Check it out before midnight!

Christy

Angel Diva
I've heard there's been a lot of rain in Seattle, if that translates to snow in the mountains that's maybe good!?

We had a really rainy day last Saturday but it's been a very dry winter in general. So the skiing is not fantastic; it's the worst it's been in the 8 seasons I've been skiing. But again, it depends on when you're coming--it snows feet at a time (when it snows), so it could be really different when you're here. Sunny and dry all this week. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna