• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Opinions on which skis

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
The Sheeva 9 are definitely not a damp ski, pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum and very playful. I’m 5’4” 125lbs and ski the 164. They ski short so if you felt unstable etc. at all on groomers I’d try a size up if you were so inclined to give them another try. They aren’t the ski that’s going to really plow through crud though.
But I think they're a solid ski with the sheet of metal so don't feel squirrely or chattery to me at all. I'm really happy with them and the twin like tips make them so fun.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I love those days as well, sadly the ones I usually go to were cancelled this season due to Covid. Looking forward to being able to attend them next season again!
I know! I so missed being able to try out different skis this winter at demo days. On the bright side, I didn’t buy any skis....but I did move on to outerwear :becky:

lisamamot

Angel Diva
But I think they're a solid ski with the sheet of metal so don't feel squirrely or chattery to me at all. I'm really happy with them and the twin like tips make them so fun.
Agreed! I am 5’9”/140 and ski the 172 and don’t find them unstable at all. They won’t plow through everything unnoticed, but they hold their own and make me smile every time. I guess that is why we all like different skis - I have a friend who skis the Volkl Secret and they are spot on for her style and preferences (groomers at speed, dislikes ungroomed snow and bumps). The Sheeva 9 and I love ungroomed, bumps and trees - they ski nothing like the Secret, and I don’t want them to!

MissySki

Angel Diva

Oh yes for sure!! I don’t find them to be those things either, but I imagine one could if you go too short for your size due to how short they ski. The one place I’ve ever found them a bit unstable was at high speeds in this wide open area of kind of hardened crud out west. Would have loved some dampening then, it was probably more that my legs were not absorbing properly since I’d just gotten off of a plane that morning. It was the one time I wished for more dampening or length so it was definitely an anomaly.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know! I so missed being able to try out different skis this winter at demo days. On the bright side, I didn’t buy any skis....but I did move on to outerwear :becky:
WWSRA Ski testing is canceled this year, too. :frown: The shop my husband works at has no demos going out, either, due to the low tide snow conditions. I'm hoping that Atomic/Salomon will set up some tents like they normally do on my local hill. Their north American HQ are right here in Ogden so they tend to have more than one demo day.

I DID buy some skis, though. Liberty V82W, which means that it's guaranteed to start snowing hard LOL! Taking one for the team!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agreed. They weren't chattery, but they didn't have the dampness I wanted for the sort of variable ungroomed snow we get where and when I ski.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Agreed. They weren't chattery, but they didn't have the dampness I wanted for the sort of variable ungroomed snow we get where and when I ski.
Haven't tried them in much ungroomed snow. Black Crows Camox Birdie very good in powder and chop.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I DID buy some skis, though. Liberty V82W
Did you get yours at Sierra? The prices on Sierra for Liberty V skis made it hard for many to scroll on by.

ashkat0323

Certified Ski Diva
How did your day go today and how were the Elans? I was also up there for Ladies Day! It was a gorgeous day and definitely got me thinking about demoing something a little narrower in the waist. I've been on 98 Black Pearl and previously Sambas since 2015 and the snow just isn't soft and deep enough for that on a daily basis this year.

I liked them a lot! I’m thinking of buying them! Who is your instructor?! Say hi to me next time :smile:. I’m with Laurie and my name is Ashley. The snow was so hard and icy yesterday. It was really beautiful, but man, that was some seriously hard and icy snow.

ashkat0323

Certified Ski Diva
I’ve found good prices on DPS on powder7 and skiessentials so those might be a few other places you might look if you decide you like them.

They have a pair for sale at the Alta ski shop right now for $599. They look to be in good shape, just some scratches on the top sheet. They are the Zelda Alchemist 106 ones. I was so tempted to buy them for powder days. Maybe I still will. Eek!

ashkat0323

Certified Ski Diva
I will be interested to hear what you think of the Elan Ripstick 94W. Super fun ski - it has a lot of rocker up front and a surfy tip; it skis short. They beefed up the 2021 model, which I have not been on, so I will be interested in how you compare it to the Sheeva 10!

I loved it! I think I may buy it! It was zippy and fun, but felt more substantial and stable than my sheevas. I was really impressed. I’m so close to purchasing them, haha!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I loved it! I think I may buy it! It was zippy and fun, but felt more substantial and stable than my sheevas. I was really impressed. I’m so close to purchasing them, haha!
That is really interesting! I will need to get on the new model sometime as that sounds like a vastly different ski than the 2018 model I have. Mine are definitely fun and light, but not nearly as stable as the Sheeva, especially in the tip.

ashkat0323

Certified Ski Diva
That is really interesting! I will need to get on the new model sometime as that sounds like a vastly different ski than the 2018 model I have. Mine are definitely fun and light, but not nearly as stable as the Sheeva, especially in the tip.

I did ski the longer Elans. My sheeva 10s are 156 and the Elans were 162. Part of it could just be that the ski felt more stable because it was longer. I’m pretty convinced a large part of my issue on the sheevas is that they are just too short for my weight. My sheevas are so chattery and vibrate so much on steeper hard pack if I get going very fast.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Aren’t your Sheeva 10’s 102 underfoot! I demoed them for 2 days in Tahoe after a storm in a 156 and I’m quite petite and lightweight. Didn’t try them on groomers really.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Haven't tried them in much ungroomed snow. Black Crows Camox Birdie very good in powder and chop.
I skied on the Camox birdie in Japan the day after there'd been a decent dump, and was pleased enough with them in chop/powder but not impressed enough to think they were skis I wanted to buy. I'll have to see if I can demo them in New Zealand conditions, I believe one of my work colleagues owns the Camox and likes them. That being said, I might just hold out and save up slowly for the Santa Ana.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I skied on the Camox birdie in Japan the day after there'd been a decent dump, and was pleased enough with them in chop/powder but not impressed enough to think they were skis I wanted to buy. I'll have to see if I can demo them in New Zealand conditions, I believe one of my work colleagues owns the Camox and likes them. That being said, I might just hold out and save up slowly for the Santa Ana.
Came very close to buying Santa Ana 93 but then found screaming deal on Sheeva 9 so bought those.

ashkat0323

Certified Ski Diva
Meaning not specifically a groomer ski..
Aren’t your Sheeva 10’s 102 underfoot! I demoed them for 2 days in Tahoe after a storm in a 156 and I’m quite petite and lightweight. Didn’t try them on groomers really.

Yes. They definitely don’t shine on groomers. They’re meant for powder and soft snow. So it’s not all their fault that I don’t love them on groomers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna