• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Opening Dates, 2022

marzNC

Angel Diva
You may be right, though it's hard to imagine the typical Crystal passholder being interested in the terrain that's open.
There are always a few passholders who enjoy going on opening day. Not for the skiing/boarding but just to be part of the festivities. There is a small group who sleep outside at the lift overnight before opening day at one of the ski resorts in Australia. Total ski nuts!

For a family with kids and some time flexibility, getting in an hour or two after school during early season can be well worth while before the slopes get crowded once schools are on winter break.

Christy

Angel Diva
Maybe some teenagers will do that. It is very, very hard to imagine the typical Crystal skier sleeping at the lift to ski the flat green runs at the base.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My list of ski areas/resorts with opening dates before Thanksgiving got pretty long. There are also quite a few opening up on Thanksgiving or for the Thanksgiving long weekend. Timberline in WV is opening on Wed, then staying closed on Thanksgiving, and re-opening on Friday. I'm sure that's to allow the employees to enjoy Thanksgiving with their families.

Clearly there are resorts that choose to wait to announce an opening date, as opposed to picking a date months or weeks in advance. This season the destination resorts in the Rockies and Tahoe were able to meet or beat opening dates that were announced long before winter weather forecasts were meaningful.

Note that my interest this early season didn't include the PacNW or the southwest. I paid more attention to regions where I've skied in December or am thinking of going for an early or late season ski safari some time in the future.

11/14: Copper, CO
11/14: Cataloochee, NC - announced 11/14
11/14: Sugar Mountain, NC - announced 11/14
11/16: Park City, UT - announced 11/12, was 11/18
11/17: Killington, VT - announced 11/15, Nov 17 for pass holders only
11/17: Sunday River, ME - announced 11/17, was 11/24, Nov 17-18 for pass holders only
11/18: Crystal, WA - Nov 18-20 for pass holders only
11/18: Palisades Tahoe, CA - 4 days early
11/18: Grand Targhee - MCP but not Ikon
11/18: Eldora, CO
11/18: Alta, UT
11/18: Snowbird, UT - was 11/30
11/18: Snowbasin, UT - was 11/25, Nov 18-20 for pass holders only
11/18: Afton Alps, MN
11/18: Gore, NY - announced 11/17
11/18: Hunter, NY
11/18: Belleayre, NY - tickets online start 11/25 as of 11/17
11/18: Stowe, VT
11/18: Wildcat, NH
11/18: Sugarloaf, ME - announced 11/17, a week early
11/18: Appalachian, NC
11/19: Aspen/Snowmass, CO - was 11/24
11/19: Purgatory, CO
11/19: Lutsen, MN - weekends until 12/9
11/19: Ski Brule, MI - delayed from 11/11, snowmaking started 11/13, then Thanksgiving
11/19: Whiteface, NY - announced 11/17
11/19: Sugarbush, VT - on website 11/15
11/19: Okemo, VT
11/19: Stratton, VT
11/19: Bretton Woods, NH - announced after 11/16, was 11/11
11/20: Mount Snow, VT - announced 11/19, was 11/11
11/22: Snowshoe, WV - 11/22 for passholders only
11/23: Big Sky, MT- a day early, on website 11/15
11/23: Beaver Creek, CO
11/23: Crested Butte, CO
11/23: Steamboat, CO
11/23: Sunapee, NH
11/23: Loon, NH - announced after 11/18
11/23: Wachusett, MA - snowmaking started 11/15
11/23: Blue Knob, PA - announced after 11/20
11/23: Timberline, WV - closed 11/24, re-open 11/25
11/24: Telluride, CO
11/24: Taos, NM
11/24: Boyne Mountain, MI - announced 11/19
11/24: Nub’s Nob, MI - announced 11/22

11/25: Sugar Bowl, CA
11/25: Jackson Hole, WY
11/25: Jay Peak, VT
11/25: Beech Mountain, NC
11/25: Greek Peak, NY - snowmaking started 11/14
11/25: Jiminy Peak, MA - weekends until 12/16, snowmaking re-start 11/17
11/25: Massanutten, VA - snowmaking started 11/16

marzNC

Angel Diva
The opening day at Big Sky had an impressive amount of open terrain. There were powder turns to be had. There is video on the Big Sky website.

Hope it keeps snowing the next couple months. I'm headed back to Big Sky in 2023.

Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 9.08.06 PM.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not only did Nub's Nob work hard to open this week, they are open on Thanksgiving Day. I didn't realize until recently that Nub's uses homegrown snowguns.

THANKSGIVING DAY AT NUB’S NOB!

Posted on November 24th, 2022

Welcome to our opening day! The lifts will spin Thanksgiving day through Sunday from 9am to 4:30pm. Lift tickets are $60 for adults and $40 for kids 9 to 12 per day. Nearly every run on our Front Side terrain is open from Sno Pro all the way over to Fun Bowl with the exception of the glades. There is an awesome mini-park with rails and boxes set off of Dories Bowl. Today we are grateful for all of you who choose to ski at Nub’s. Welcome back to the slopes!

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Little late to this, Stowe opened a day later on Saturday 11/19 and I believe Hunter as well. Bolton opened the day after thanksgiving (Friday) and Smuggs perhaps too? Or a day after.

I've been skiing and snowboarding 4 days so far? We were there at opening chair and got some pretty sweet breakfast sandwiches. I’ve already lost my helmet and goggles … bummed. My new snowboard is fantastic.

I needed to have gone uphill on Sat/Sun on 11/19 or 11/20 (we got snow the Wednesday before). But the forecast was just getting warmer. I don’t have rock AT skis and I just couldn’t pull the trigger. So I’ll have to wait after this warm cycle … hopefully we get a dump and I can go touring :smile:

funny I had just gone hiking on Nov 9? And it was like 70F. We hiked around side country and took a look at some of the paths between Smuggs and Stowe. Lol. We thought we’d still be mountain biking.

during return to work training last Sunday 11/20, our ski trainer was like welp, I was mountain biking on Tuesday and then we got snow and now I’m on skis. I always imagined a perfect transition and now it’s happened. <~ or something to that effect!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I've been skiing and snowboarding 4 days so far? We were there at opening chair and got some pretty sweet breakfast sandwiches. I’ve already lost my helmet and goggles … bummed. My new snowboard is fantastic.
bummer!!

what’s your new board? Is it the Yes? What did you end up getting?

echo_VT

Angel Diva
I’m so relieved. I just got a call that they have found my helmet and goggles. Lost and found is amazing! You can fill out a form and they hunt it down. I retraced my steps and everything and I didn’t find it. I got a call this morning that they have it!

yup I got the Yes board! It’s poppy, responsive. It does what I want when I want it.

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Little late to this, Stowe opened a day later on Saturday 11/19 and I believe Hunter as well. Bolton opened the day after thanksgiving (Friday) and Smuggs perhaps too? Or a day after.

I needed to have gone uphill on Sat/Sun on 11/19 or 11/20 (we got snow the Wednesday before). But the forecast was just getting warmer. I don’t have rock AT skis and I just couldn’t pull the trigger. So I’ll have to wait after this warm cycle … hopefully we get a dump and I can go touring :smile:

funny I had just gone hiking on Nov 9? And it was like 70F. We hiked around side country and took a look at some of the paths between Smuggs and Stowe. Lol. We thought we’d still be mountain biking.

during return to work training last Sunday 11/20, our ski trainer was like welp, I was mountain biking on Tuesday and then we got snow and now I’m on skis. I always imagined a perfect transition and now it’s happened. <~ or something to that effect!
Yes, Smuggs opened Friday 11/18. And yes, the warm weather-> ski weather transition was so weirdly abrupt!

I skied it Sat 11/19. Apparently the better snow day was Friday bc it was still soft then, but I couldn't get motivated to ski in the rain. Saturday was a frozen granula (sp?) mess but beautifully sunny.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
@jthree I'm pretty sure you mean Friday 11/25, Black Friday is when Smuggs opened! Day after thanksgiving with the rain. It was definitely not open on 11/18! That means you skied on Saturday 11/26? Let us know if that is what you meant!

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@jthree I'm pretty sure you mean Friday 11/25, Black Friday is when Smuggs opened! Day after thanksgiving with the rain. It was definitely not open on 11/18! That means you skied on Saturday 11/26? Let us know if that is what you meant!
Oops you are right! We skied Sat 11/26, Smuggs opened Black Friday!

time is passing way too fast for me!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly