• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Opening Dates, 2022

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Sure, it's weather dependent. But here's what we have so far for opening dates. Know of any more? Post 'em when you know 'em.

For California:
11/3: Rose
11/11: Mammoth
11/18: Boreal, Heavenly, Northstar
11/19: Snow Summit
11/22: Palisades
11/23: Snow Valley
11/25: Bear Valley, Big Bear, Sugar Bowl
12/2: Kirkwood
12/8: Diamond Peak
12/9: Tahoe Donner

For Colorado:
10/21: Keystone
10/22: Arapahoe Basin
10/29: Loveland
11/4: Wolf Creek
11/11: Breckenridge, Vail
11/17: Winter Park
11/18: Eldora
11/20: Purgatory
11/21: Copper
11/23: Beaver Creek, Crested Butte
11/24: Aspen Snowmass, Telluride
11/26: Steamboat
12/3: Powderhorn
12/7: Cooper
12/9: Granby Ranch
12/10: Monarch, Howelsen, Echo
12/17: Sunlight
12/24: Silverton

For New Hampshire:
11/18: Wildcat
11/18: Sunapee
11/26: Bretton Woods
12/2: Attitash, Loon, Crotched
12/3: Cannon, Pat's Peak
12/4: Waterville
12/9: Ragged
12/10: Gunstock
12/11: Canmore
12/16: King Pine
12/17: Tenney
12/23: Dartmouth Skiway
12/25: Whaleback
1/13: Black

For Utah:
11/18: Brian Head, Park City, Solitude
11/23: Alta
11/30: Snowbird
12/3: Brighton, Deer Valley
12/11: Nordic Valley
12/16: Eagle Point
12/17: Powder Mountain
12/22: Beaver Mountain

For Vermont:
11/11: Killington, Mount Snow
11/18: Stowe
11/19: Stratton, Okemo
11/23: Sugarbush
11/26: Jay Peak
12/3: Smugglers Notch
12/9: Bromley
12/10: Bolton, Mad River
12/17: Pico
12/23: Saskadena Six
12/25: Magic
1/11: Burke

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's the places that expect to open before mid-November from the list in Post #1.

10/21: Keystone, CO
10/22: Arapahoe Basin, CO
10/29: Loveland, CO
11/03: Mt. Rose, NV
11/04: Wolf Creek, CO
11/11: Mammoth, CA
11/11: Breckenridge, CO
11/11: Vail, CO
11/11: Killington, VT
11/11: Mount Snow, VT

The date I'm more interested in for Wolf Creek is when they will be 100% open. That didn't happen until Dec. 11 last year, which was later than usual. Made for a fun first day of skiing for the 2021-22 season for me and my ski buddies.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Keystone opened in Oct. 28. I think there were two greens open. One was Schoolmarm, which starts at the top of Dercum Mountain.

Winter Park expects to open on Oct. 31. Will be very limited terrain, as is common this far in advance of Thanksgiving.

Back in 2019, Keystone did major upgrades to snowmaking infrastructure for Schoolmarm. There was a clear interest in having Keystone be "first to open" after Arapahoe Basin opted to leave the Epic pass.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Latest opening dates for Utah. The places not listed are TBA.

11/18: Brian Head, Park City, Solitude
11/23: Alta
11/25: Snowbasin
11/30: Snowbird
12/03: Deer Valley
12/09: Nordic Valley
12/16: Eagle Point

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here are opening dates that I've confirmed on resort websites. Per usual, there are updates since even a few days ago. I check out places of interest to me in multiple regions just for fun. This is not meant to be a comprehensive list. Remember that mountains that open early have very limited terrain, meaning only a few trails and perhaps only one lift that isn't just for beginners. Nov. 19-20 is the weekend before Thanksgiving.

Killington in VT will open by mid-November but typically doesn't announce a date much in advance. There will be World Cup races during Thanksgiving, as has been happening for several years.

OPEN BEFORE NOV 1
10/23: Arapahoe Basin, CO
10/28: Keystone, CO
10/31: Winter Park, CO

OPENING DATES BEFORE THANKSGIVING WEEK
11/04: Wolf Creek, CO - Fri-Sun only until 11/18
11/03: Loveland, CO
11/11: Mammoth, CA
11/11: Breckenridge, CO
11/11: Vail, CO
11/11: Ski Brule, MI
11/11: Mount Snow, VT
11/14: Copper, CO

11/18: Heavenly, CA
11/18: Northstar, CA
11/18: Grand Targhee, WY
11/18: Alta, UT
11/18: Solitude, UT
11/18: Park City, UT
11/18: Eldora, CO
11/18: Stowe, VT
11/18: Wildcat, NH
11/19: Lutsen, MN
11/19: Okemo, VT
11/19: Stratton, VT
11/19: Purgatory, CO

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I just got an email indicating that Brian Head is opening on November 4.
Brianhead is a fun place to ski.... Back in 1990, I had a trip planned with college friends to Mammoth for several days. It was a low snow season and looking grim. They picked me up at the San Diego airport and asked if I would be agreeable going to Brianhead, Utah where it was dumping. We ditched the Mammoth trip (lost our $$$) and headed on a road trip to Brianhead! I'll never forget it..... Great snow! We had so much fun. What an adventure!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jackson Hole, the day after Thanksgiving Thursday as usual. Snow dependent of course. Guns going strong already.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
These California opening dates were listed in an article about Mammoth. The article said they were taken from onthesnow.com

Mammoth Mountain – Nov. 5
Heavenly – Nov. 18
Snow Summit – Nov. 18
Northstar California – Nov. 18
Mountain High – Nov. 19
Palisades Tahoe – Nov. 22
Sugar Bowl Resort – Nov. 25
Soda Springs – Nov. 25
Bear Mountain – Dec. 1
Kirkwood – Dec. 2
Boreal Mountain Resort – Dec. 3
Tahoe Donner – Dec. 9
Mt. Baldy – Dec. 16
Ski China Peak – Dec. 16
Homewood Mountain Resort – Dec. 16
Dodge Ridge – Dec. 16
June Mountain – Dec. 17
Bear Valley – Dec. 17
Mt. Shasta Ski Park – Dec. 18
Yosemite Ski & Snowboard Area – Dec. 24
Sierra-at-Tahoe – Dec. 25
Snow Valley – Dec. 25
Donner Ski Ranch – Feb. 1

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Donner Ski Ranch Feb 1??? Odd
Saw on the news tonight Mt Rose looking good.

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Brianhead is a fun place to ski.... Back in 1990, I had a trip planned with college friends to Mammoth for several days. It was a low snow season and looking grim. They picked me up at the San Diego airport and asked if I would be agreeable going to Brianhead, Utah where it was dumping. We ditched the Mammoth trip (lost our $$$) and headed on a road trip to Brianhead! I'll never forget it..... Great snow! We had so much fun. What an adventure!
It's beautiful ski with a view of the red rocks from cedar break❤️

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Donner Ski Ranch Feb 1??? Odd
Saw on the news tonight Mt Rose looking good.

I agree. That looks wrong though the others seem reasonable. I did check their website briefly but didn't find anything.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The article said they were taken from onthesnow.com
OnTheSnow was brought back to life after being shut down a few years ago starting last season. It uses past dates and whatever is easily pulled from online sources such as resort websites. Usually pretty close but can be off when the weather shifts. Meaning either a big snowstorm allows for an early opening or lack of snow delays opening. In November 2021 there were plenty of target dates for opening days that were missed in more than one region. Hopefully that won't happen this year in the west given the big storms in the first half of November.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I did check their website briefly but didn't find anything.
That's not uncommon for smaller resorts, or any ski area that caters mostly to locals. An early season opening often only means one lift and a trail or two, so people who don't live within a short driving distance are unlikely to be interested. Only the first openings in Colorado may get national news headlines.

There are also mountains that choose not to announce a target date for opening well in advance. For instance, Brighton in Utah always waits until less than a week before announcing an opening date. Usually Brighton opens about the same time as neighboring Solitude in Big Cottonwood Canyon.

Epic resorts announce opening dates before September. In November 2021, that meant several resorts had to announce delayed openings.

Ikon resorts handle their own marketing announcements about opening dates. Just as true for Alterra resorts as Ikon Partners such as Jackson Hole.

Here's my personal list as of Nov. 1 for Ikon and Epic resorts that plan to open before Thanksgiving. Haven't filled in all the Ikon Partners yet. I'm not noting a date until I can find it on a resort website or on their Facebook page. I have a pretty good idea from past seasons which places open before Dec. 1 if at all possible.

OCT-NOV OPENING DATES FOR EPIC OR IKON (Thanksgiving Nov 24) - as of Nov. 1, 2022
* Epic
** Ikon, Alterra
***Ikon, Partner

***Oct 23: Arapahoe Basin, CO - snowmaking started by 10Oct
*Oct 28: Keystone, CO - snowmaking started by 10Oct
**Oct 31: Winter Park, CO

***Nov 3: Sunshine Village, AB, CANADA
***Nov 4: Lake Louise, AB, CANADA
***Nov 5: Mt. Norquqy, AB, CANADA
**Nov 11: Mammoth, CA
*Nov 11: Mt. Snow, VT
*Nov 11: Breckenridge, CA
*Nov 11: Vail, CA

mid-Nov?: Killington, VT

**Nov 14: Copper, CO - snowmaking started 05Oct
***Nov 18: Alta, UT
***Nov 18: Solitude, UT
mid-Nov?: Brighton, UT
*Nov 18: Park City, UT
*Nov 18: Northstar, CA
*Nov 18: Afton Alps, MN
*Nov 18: Hunter, NY
*Nov 18: Stowe, VT
*Nov 18: Wildcat, NH
***Nov 19: Sun Peaks
*Nov 19: Okemo, VT
**Nov 19: Stratton, VT

**Nov 22: Palisades Tahoe, CA
**Nov 23: Steamboat, CO
*Nov 23: Beaver Creek, CO
*Nov 23: Crested Butte, CO
***Nov 23: Sugarbush, VT
*Nov 23: Mt. Sunapee, NH
***Nov 23: Snowshoe, WV
*Nov 24: Whistler-Blackcomb, BC, CANADA
**Nov 24: Tremblant, QUE, CANADA
***Nov 24: Aspen/Snowmass, CO
*Nov 24: Telluride, CO (Epic Partner)
***Nov 25: Jackson Hole, WY
***Nov 25: Snowbasin, UT

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well... I'm pretty sure that Mammoth is opening on November 5.
Yep, they changed the date on their website since the last time I looked. That's why I don't post my list every time there is a change. Making updates satisfies my curiosity about how early season goes in the various regions. Having done two trips out west in December, I'm going to stick with Wolf Creek for a while. JH/GT and Alta in December isn't worth the extra travel planning effort. Especially since I drive to Colorado so no need for dealing with flights.

At least this early season the changes have been to earlier dates instead of later than previously announced dates.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Loveland opened today, Nov. 3, with one way down from the top of Chet's Dream. That's the only high-speed quad, which starts at the base.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly