• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Opening Dates, 2020

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bretton Woods has been open, but because of the warm weather they are closed Mon-Tues-Wed. Will re-evaluate the situation mid-week.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Taos Ski Valley opening may be coming soon...
State announces tiered ‘Red to Green’ system for N.M. counties in next phase of COVID-19 response
Nov 30, 2020 | Press Room
Framework enables counties to reopen further when meeting key health metrics
SANTA FE – In an effort designed to provide local communities the flexibility to operate more day-to-day activities, the state of New Mexico will transition to a tiered county-by-county COVID-19 risk system on Dec. 2, enabling local communities to shed burdensome restrictions as soon as public health data show the virus is retreating within their borders.
The shift in the state’s “reopening” framework will come after a two-week “reset” period, in which state health officials enacted the most heightened level of statewide public health restrictions upon places of business and day-to-day activities in an effort to blunt the spread of COVID-19 all across New Mexico.
“The county-by-county framework enables counties, and the businesses and nonprofits within their borders, to operate with fewer restrictions when they slow the spread of the virus and drive down test positivity rates,” said Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham. “It’s been a difficult year and an especially difficult past month. We must remain as vigilant as ever to contain and beat the virus; we also must look for ways to lessen the burden on our communities wherever possible, while never swerving from our top priority – protecting New Mexicans and saving lives.”

Attached is a copy of the newly-amended order.
DETAILS:

• Ski areas are defined as "Outdoor recreational facilities"
  • "Red to Green" will correlate with the case rate of each county in NM and the avg % of positive test results over the most recent 14-day pd
  • GREEN: Case Rate </= 8/100,000 AND avg % pos rate of </= 5% may operate "Outdoor recreational facilities" at 50% capacity.
  • YELLOW: Case Rate </= 8/100,000 OR avg % pos rate of </= 5% may operate "Outdoor recreational facilities" at 25% capacity.
  • RED: Anything over these #'s; may operate "Outdoor recreational facilities" at 25% capacity.
Presently all counties in NM are listed as RED, but this will be updated on Wed, Dec 2.
It seems from the above info that Ski Areas will be able to operate at (worst case scenario) 25% to 50% (best case) capacity.

Will see what happens on Wed, when they post the new Public Health Order.

Attachments

• 113020-PHO.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

marzNC

Angel Diva
Bridger Bowl in MT was hoping to open on Dec. 4. But snow conditions aren't what they need to be to open. Recently announced that a new date will be announced soon.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
We've had some super warm temps and rain here in Vermont, which hasn't been good for snowmaking or current conditions. Today Sugarbush pushed back their opening til December 10.

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
We've had some super warm temps and rain here in Vermont, which hasn't been good for snowmaking or for current conditions. Today Sugarbush pushed back their opening til December 10.
Have you skied yet?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm planning on going to Northstar for a few days December 12. However, the big however, is that we may be informed of a shelter-in-place mandate this week.

marzNC

Angel Diva
No date yet for Taos, but here's the note on their homepage as of Dec. 1.

"Great News! New Mexico has updated its public health order allowing ski areas to open and and operate throughout the winter. Once our testing protocol for all staff receives approval, we will announce our 2020-21 opening date! In the meantime, we continue to prepare the resort and mobilize staff to get lifts spinning."

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like Bolton Valley and Smuggs moved their opening date to Dec. 11.

Windham in the NY Catskills and Boyne Mountain in Michigan also can't get open because of temps too warm for snowmaking to get cranked up.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yesterday several resorts opened up in multiple regions. The delay for Mt. Hood Meadows was due to adjustments for indoor spaces due to Oregon going into a "freeze" for a couple weeks. So a new operations plan had to be approved. The delay for Steamboat might have been a combination of weather and wanting to get past Thanksgiving weekend since the terrain was limited.

Nov 30: Mt. Hood Meadows, OR - was Nov 28
***Nov 30: Copper, CO, Powdr, parking reservations
***Nov 30: Snowbird, UT, Powdr, parking reservations
***Nov 30: Loon, NH
**Nov 30: Steamboat, CO - was Nov 21

marzNC

Angel Diva
Windham in the NY Catskills and Boyne Mountain in Michigan also can't get open because of temps too warm for snowmaking to get cranked up.
I was wrong about Windham. Looks like it opened on Nov. 27. Although since Hunter had to close for a few days, I would guess Windham may not be open right now either.

Fair to say that opening days are happening with far less fanfare than usual.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was wrong about Windham. Looks like it opened on Nov. 27. Although since Hunter had to close for a few days, I would guess Windham may not be open right now either.

Fair to say that opening days are happening with far less fanfare than usual.
They were open on Thanksgving weekend, passholders only. It looked like they had better coverage than Hunter when I drove by Windham out of curiosity.

Christy

Angel Diva
Stevens Pass opened today. They are our only VR ski area (and that's pretty new). I haven't heard how it went, but coverage looks good. I'm interested to hear about how successful the reservation system is. I have to think it will be an improvement since Stevens is an area that regularly has parking issues.

1607126106759.png

Summit West and Central (at Snoqualmie) opened too, to passholders, though Alpental and Summit East need more snow. Mission Ridge is open too. Baker, Crystal and White Pass already were. WA Cascades areas are doing pretty good though it's been dry all week and there isn't much in the forecast.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Stevens Pass opened today. They are our only VR ski area (and that's pretty new). I haven't heard how it went, but coverage looks good. I'm interested to hear about how successful the reservation system is. I have to think it will be an improvement since Stevens is an area that regularly has parking issues.
For what it's worth, the only complaints I can find lately related to Epic are people who want a refund because they can't get to the location(s) they planned on skiing due to travel restrictions within the U.S. or the fact that the U.S./Canada border is closed. It's an issue in more than one region.

There are still people who complain about the Epic reservation system because they don't understand it, but not many. One man was totally annoyed that he could get a reservation for Sunday but not Saturday . . . when looking on Wednesday or later. Bet he didn't know that Epic holders could book any Saturdays starting almost a month ago.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna