• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Opening Dates, 2020

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowbird is taking an approach similar to Killington. Instead of trying to open before Thanksgiving, Snowbird announced yesterday that Opening Day will be Mon, Nov. 30. That's after Thanksgiving weekend. The idea is to have plenty of time for snowmaking and natural snowfall so that even on Opening Day it will be easier for people to spread out on the slopes. Less WROD and more early season terrain in multiple sections served by more open lifts.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wintergreen in VA has announced Dec. 11 as opening day as part of their winter plan.

That's about the normal time but in the past the date wasn't announced so early. There was usually the hope of an earlier opening date if Mother Nature cooperated with cool enough temps for solid snowmaking nights starting mid-Nov. Wintergreen has a lot of automated snow guns so only needs about 72 hours to open core trails. Presumably they will want to have all three sections open to help spread people out from Day 1.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got some more, but this still needs more added.
I got a lot of these from snowpak.com

NEW ENGLAND

Attitash: December 4
Bretton Woods: Nov 14
Cannon: Nov 26
Cranmore: Nov 23
Crotched: December 5
Gunstock: Dec 3
Hunter: November 20
Jay Peak: Nov 22
Killington: Nov 14
Loon: Nov 15
Mount Snow: November 14
Okemo: November 21
Pico: Dec 19
Ragged Mountain: Nov 27
Stowe: November 20
Stratton: Nov 25
Sugarbush: Nov 21
Sunapee: November 25
Sunday River: Nov 2
Wachusett: Nov 20
Waterville Valley: Nov 23
Wildcat: November 13

marzNC

Angel Diva
New England list in Post #23 rearranged by date. Thanksgiving Day is Nov. 26. Bold are on Epic, italics are on Ikon. Cannon is on Indy.

Wildcat: Nov 13
Mount Snow: Nov 14
Hunter: Nov 20
Stowe: Nov 20
Okemo: Nov 21
Sunapee: Nov 25

Attitash: Dec 4
Crotched: Dec 5

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
New England list in Post #23 rearranged by date. Thanksgiving Day is Nov. 26. Bold are on Epic, italics are on Ikon. Cannon is on Indy.

Wildcat: Nov 13
Mount Snow: Nov 14
Hunter: Nov 20
Stowe: Nov 20
Okemo: Nov 21
Sunapee: Nov 25

Attitash: Dec 4
Crotched: Dec 5

I arranged them by name. Date works too. Good call.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I arranged them by name. Date works too. Good call.
When looking for a specific location, alphabetical makes perfect sense. I tend to be interested in a bigger picture in terms of what's happening in the ski industry in general. So lists by region and date are the most useful. Also the reason I highlight the multi-resort locations.

I'm not planning on skiing in the northeast at all this season.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I got some more, but this still needs more added.
I got a lot of these from snowpak.com

NEW ENGLAND

Attitash: December 4
Crotched: December 5
Hunter: November 20
Mount Snow: November 14
Okemo: November 21
Stowe: November 20
Sunapee: November 25
Wildcat: November 13

Sunday River has not set a date to my knowledge.. Last I heard they have just said that they will open as soon as possible, but has to be top to bottom this year versus normal start of the season at the top with downloading. That’s what their website still says too.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sunday River has not set a date to my knowledge.. Last I heard they have just said that they will open as soon as possible, but has to be top to bottom this year versus normal start of the season at the top with downloading. That’s what their website still says too.
I got that date from snowpak.com. I'm now wondering if they just made up dates. I double-checked some of them, but by no means all.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I got that date from snowpak.com. I'm now wondering if they just made up dates. I double-checked some of them, but by no means all.

Hopefully not haha. They could certainly have other sources too. I just haven't heard anything official, and 11/2 is a pretty aggressive official timeline to me when we need top to bottom and have no idea how the weather will go this year. I've skied just the top on opening day on 10/17 before and an opening day with top to bottom that didn't happen until 11/9 last year (though we had a pump fire and were not yet at full capacity for snowmaking by opening day last season either).

I'm sure hoping it's by 11/2 or sooner though!! :bounce:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I just looked back at my source. It says 11/2 (estimated).
Ah, "estimated" means it's based on the past 5-10 seasons. Don't think that will apply this November because of the need to have as much open terrain as possible starting on Day 1. But will be very interesting to compare in early Dec when the actual opening dates will be ready for the historical record.

Christy

Angel Diva
It's always funny to see an "opening date" for a ski area in the Cascades. They open when the snow is deep enough. That's pretty much all there is to it.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The list for early openings in Colorado is growing. All I'm interested in for now are the locations that plan to be open some time in November. These will be the places with the most terrain open by early December for people looking to ski before the holidays.

https://theknow.denverpost.com/2020/09/07/colorado-ski-resorts-opening-days-2020/244548/

* - Epic
** - Ikon

mid-Oct: Arapahoe Basin
mid-Oct: Loveland

Nov 6: *Keystone
Nov 13: *Breckenridge
Nov 18: **Winter Park
Nov 20: *Vail
Nov 21: Purgatory
Nov 21: **Steamboat
Nov 23: **Eldora
Nov 25: *Beaver Creek
Nov 25: *Crested Butte

Nov 26: **Aspen Mountain
Nov 26: **Snowmass
Nov 30: **Copper

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wolf Creek will be the first to open in Colorado based on two feet of natural snow. Lifts will spin at 9am, Wed, Oct. 28 thru Sun, Nov. 1. Wolf is keeping it very simple. Lifts will spin and the lodge will be open for restrooms only. No food service, indoor seating areas, ski school or rentals.

A ticket is $58. Will be $80 during regular season. Looks like tickets are already sold out for tomorrow but available Oct. 29 thru Nov. 1.

October 27, The Know, Denver Post
Wolf Creek opening for the season Wednesday, becoming the first Colorado ski area to run its lifts
The ski area will only be open until Sunday, announcing full November schedule soon
https://theknow.denverpost.com/2020/10/27/wolf-creek-colorado-open-ski-season/247907/

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
What is the snow and skiing like in late November / early Dec at Okemo? Are they making snow that early and is "that" much of the mountain open?

I ski there, so I can try to answer for you. Like everywhere, it's a guess. Some years (like last year) it was fabulous -- opening day was a powder day -- though there's generally not a lot open. Mostly, the skiing is limited to some of the trails accessible from the Main Base. South Face, Solitude, and Jackson Gore take a while to open.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly