• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Opening Dates, 2017

Christy

Angel Diva
Here in the PNW we don't do the WROD thing, but there are some trails you can open with a 36 inch base and many you can't. So we don't need spikes or elbow pads, but you'd want to bring your older skis and a willingness to stay on piste.

newboots

Angel Diva
Early-season Poconos skiing should definitely require elbow pads and a Roller Derby name; something like "Black-Eye Susan" or "Ann Thrax". And maybe one of those Prussian helmets with the big spike on top....

I'll be Anne Thrax. (It's my name; I have to spell it right.)

Christy

Angel Diva
Now we're rolling. Baker is 100% open with a 54"-72" base and 24" new snow in the past 48 hours. Crystal has 3 lifts running this week and all will be running on Saturday. Stevens is only running 2 lifts--they really need more than a 3' base. White Pass has between a 20"-37" base but wants more before they open.

Christy

Angel Diva
It's not deep there, but snow at the base before Thanksgiving at Whistler is a good thing.

3glc.jpg

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now we're rolling. Baker is 100% open with a 54"-72" base and 24" new snow in the past 48 hours. Crystal has 3 lifts running this week and all will be running on Saturday. Stevens is only running 2 lifts--they really need more than a 3' base. White Pass has between a 20"-37" base but wants more before they open.
:drool::ski::dancing::fireworks::banana::jumphappy::yahoo:

Christy

Angel Diva
Oh, and the first two likely fatalities are already in. 2 young guys, backcountry snowboarding at Baker, missing since Sunday, search suspended due to weather. :(

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, and the first two likely fatalities are already in. 2 young guys, backcountry snowboarding at Baker, missing since Sunday, search suspended due to weather. :(
Oh, no!

I was going to post something about the first days at a resort always being a little gnarly—like avalanche risk, rocks and roots, tree wells, and such—then deleted it, so we can be positive...

I suppose we can celebrate their life by enjoying our first days, and sending our thoughts to their families. Please let us know if you hear more about them.

newboots

Angel Diva

Oh, no. How awful.

Christy

Angel Diva
Sheesh. Baker. Already enough snow on opening day for these kind of shenanigans. My husband is at Crystal as we speak and says the snow and coverage are great, though you do have to watch for thin spots.

23561287_10156439637808484_3951860544398212928_n.jpg

upload_2017-11-17_12-7-50.png

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At Bachelor's Pine Marten lift today:

IMG_0367.jpg

My first time ever on an opening day!

Temp started out around 25ºF, ended around 35ºF, partly sunny to mostly sunny. 40" snow depth. Parking lots were full, comparable to a mid-season weekend. The snow was medium-heavy, not quite packed in, so even the groomers got bumpy by mid-day. By early afternoon, most people had left. Not quite in shape to pull an all-day.

I tried to take it easy, but ended up skiing about 10 miles, with lots of breaks, and:
  1. getting quad burns on the first run, and quad cramps (!) on the first run of the afternoon
  2. on the second run, falling while trying to come off the lift chair, and almost doing the exact same thing the next run
  3. taking the wrong turn and going down ungroomed, tracked-out powder (I did manage it OK.)
  4. falling over while standing still a few times
  5. forgetting to turn off Ski Tracks on the way back (65 mph, y'all!)

Awesome first day of the season! :ski:

kiki

Angel Diva
At Bachelor's Pine Marten lift today:

View attachment 7654

My first time ever on an opening day!

Temp started out around 25ºF, ended around 35ºF, partly sunny to mostly sunny. 40" snow depth. Parking lots were full, comparable to a mid-season weekend. The snow was medium-heavy, not quite packed in, so even the groomers got bumpy by mid-day. By early afternoon, most people had left. Not quite in shape to pull an all-day.

I tried to take it easy, but ended up skiing about 10 miles, with lots of breaks, and:
  1. getting quad burns on the first run, and quad cramps (!) on the first run of the afternoon
  2. on the second run, falling while trying to come off the lift chair, and almost doing the exact same thing the next run
  3. taking the wrong turn and going down ungroomed, tracked-out powder (I did manage it OK.)
  4. falling over while standing still a few times
  5. forgetting to turn off Ski Tracks on the way back (65 mph, y'all!)

Awesome first day of the season! :ski:
You make me feel better, thanks for the rundown including the fall!
My first day out today in 4 years.
I couldn't seem to remember how to turn.
My ski style involved using a hockey stop as my method to turn/slow down and my skis were not parallel. It wasn't pretty. Luckily i have lessons booked. Many, many lessons....
Also, my new ski jacket that i loved so much is almost exactly the same as the snow school people. Same colour, same cut, same brand.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Luckily i have lessons booked. Many, many lessons....

Glad you can come back to skiing!

It will come back with just a few reminders. All last season, I worked on my right turns, and they are now c**ppy again. They seemed to be coming back with some drills (remembered those during the last run), and it will be a while until my leg strengths are more symmetrical.

Also, my new ski jacket that i loved so much is almost exactly the same as the snow school people. Same colour, same cut, same brand.
Someone was joking today about stealing a lifty jacket so they can cut the line... So... about those ski school lines... :becky:

The resort employee outfits have certainly gotten more fashionable and upscale. I wonder if they get product placement deals.

I also noticed that fewer people are wearing all-black this year. I stand out better now, in my all-black. I swear I started it before it was fashionable!

And, yes, I'm chatty! :dance:

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
So "the Pyrenees" opened today. I put it in quotes as there are many many many ski stations in the mountain range and a few opened over the past two weeks, but more or less the rest had opening day today. Unfortunately, at least one could not run the lifts this morning due to weather (wind, I think). This happens, but sad for opening day. Also, running largely on man-made snow - it had been snowing on and off over the past 2 months, but with very warm stretches in between so difficult to build a base. I have pictures of Andorra furiously blowing snow last weekend...

Saddest of all, I am in Heathrow Airport at the moment waiting for a flight to DC, where I will be for 2 weeks...so "no ski for me" until mid-late Dec...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna