• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Opening Dates, 2017

marzNC

Angel Diva
Grand Targhee - Nov 17th
Jackson Hole - Nov 25th
When does GT usually have most of the terrain open? What does cat skiing usually start? Have considered the idea of flying out to SLC in mid-December when airfares are still low at some point.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Grandvalira Andorra (Pyrenees) current plans are -
Opening date: December 2, 2017 - Closing date: April 8, 2018

I am here as I type and have been a few times this summer. It snowed in September but then got warm. Forecast is that it starts up again today...fingers crossed.

Heading back up to Toulouse in a couple of hours, where it only snows a light dusting 1-2 times a year ...

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When does GT usually have most of the terrain open? What does cat skiing usually start? Have considered the idea of flying out to SLC in mid-December when airfares are still low at some point.
If the weather stays cold and snowy here like it has been, they should have all of the terrain open on opening day. Cat skiing I'm not sure about since I've never done it, but I think it should be happening by mid-December. People were already skinning up Fred's Mountain and skiing down in droves yesterday!

Christy

Angel Diva
This was nice to see this morning.

CRYM2_s.jpg

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows are aiming for November 17 opening. They only have 12" at base, but there are a couple more storms forecast for the West over the next 10 days.

Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 09.26.09.png

Bachelor is on track to be open for Thanksgiving, and has 23" depth at base; they'll probably want more like 36" before they open. They usually do not open much earlier even if they have lots more snow.

Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 09.29.23.png

Christy

Angel Diva
Hey, they changed the photo I posted. It was the cam on the snowstake, which had 19".

@vickie are you still in Portland? It sounds like Timberline is up and running and there is new snow.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
So . . . Big Sky is reporting 20-24" in the past 48 hours and I can vouch for that because we have gotten close to a foot down here in Bozeman. But we are so boring boring boring! Opening day is always on Thanksgiving . . . pretty much no matter what. And so we wait . . .

The early snow sure has the stoke going here around town though. I think it's a safe bet that we will have a much better opening than last year, when we started with only the lower half of one green run plus our magic carpet area! Lol . . . you should have seen the returner instructor training going on. Swarms of red coats. It looked like we were being reinvaded by the British!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep, still in Portland.

Timberline starts running lifts on Saturday. They say they have a 21" base.

I've not been to Timberline yet, but will probably make it my home mountain this season.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks like it's GAME ON for New England resorts. That is a serious snowmakin' stretch of night-time temps!

EDIT: Not so much here in PA, where my Day lilies are inexplicably blooming. BUT, night-time temps are looking surprisingly good from next week onward. I'm curious to see if Blue tries for a November opening. I doubt it, but it's at least plausible.

Day lily.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly