• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Opening Dates, '18-'19

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Know opening dates? Post 'em here!

Here's a whole bunch out of Colorado:

Loveland: Mid October
Arapahoe Basin: Mid October
Wolf Creek: 11/2
Breckenridge: 11/9
Keystone: 11/9
Vail: 11/16
Copper: 11/16
Purgatory: 11/17
Winter Park: 11/18
Beaver Creek: 11/21
Steamboat: 11/21
Aspen: 11/22
Telluride: 11/22
Crested Butte: 11/22
Eldora: 11/22
Snowmass: 11/24
Silverton: 11/24
Aspen Highlands: 12/8

:ski:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad to see Okemo making more of an effort to open early.

Mt. Snow put in huge snowmaking upgrade last year and they opened with surprisingly decent coverage quite early--I don't remember the exact date I was there, but I think it was before Thanksgiving. There were a number of good trail options and we had a great time.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to see Okemo making more of an effort to open early.

Mt. Snow put in huge snowmaking upgrade last year and they opened with surprisingly decent coverage quite early--I don't remember the exact date I was there, but I think it was before Thanksgiving. There were a number of good trail options and we had a great time.

I just checked my notes for the past seven seasons, and in '12/'13 , I skied at Okemo 11/8, and in '13/'14, the 13th. Last year was the 13th, too. In other years my first day was around 23rd or 24th. Even with snowmaking, it's so weather dependent. You just never know.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just checked my notes for the past seven seasons, and in '12/'13 , I skied at Okemo 11/8, and in '13/'14, the 13th. Last year was the 13th, too. In other years my first day was around 23rd or 24th. Even with snowmaking, it's so weather dependent. You just never know.

True. I don't know why I have the impression that they're not as aggressive as Mt. Snow & Killington. I definitely get irritated by how quick on the draw they are to close in the spring. I always end up getting Killington's spring pass even though....and I know this is heresy...I'm not a huge Killington fan.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Keep trying to remember that Thanksgiving is Nov. 22 this year, so relatively early. That clearly influences opening dates for destination resorts that have enough snowmaking to get green and blue groomers open even big snowstorms don't happen until December. Of course, all opening days are tentative and depends on whether or not Mother Nature cooperates with good snowmaking weather in Oct-Nov.

The focus of this list is on resorts more likely to be of interest for travelers, as opposed to day areas like A-Basin or Wachusett.

EAST
Killington: Late October, 2018
Stowe: November 16, 2018
Whiteface: November 17, 2018
Sunday River: November 22, 2018

WEST
Mammoth: November 8, 2018
Copper Mountain: November 10, 2018
Breckenridge: November 10, 2018
Keystone: November 10, 2018
Winter Park: November 15, 2018
Stevens Pass: November 16, 2018
Crystal Mountain: November 16, 2018
Squaw: November 16, 2018
Heavenly: November 16, 2018
Vail: November 17, 2018
Park City, November 21, 2018
Sun Valley: November 22, 2018
Big Sky: November 22, 2018
Taos: November 22, 2018
Alta: November 23, 2018
Telluride: November 23, 2018
Crested Butte: November 23, 2018
Steamboat Springs: November 23, 2018
Snowmass: November 23, 2018
Jackson Hole: November 24, 2018
Snowbird: November 30, 2018
Deer Valley: December 8, 2018

CANADA
Banff Sunshine: November 9, 2018
Lake Louise: November 9, 2018
Tremblant: November 22, 2018
Whistler Blackcomb: November 22, 2018
Revelstoke: December 1, 2018

marzNC

Angel Diva
Re-arranged by sub-region in the western U.S. I'm not in the habit of flying out west for an early season trip in December. But starting to pay attention to the options after enjoying a late, late season trip to Oregon and California last May. Note that this list reflects my personal interests in terms of which locations are included. A lot of the places are on Ikon or Epic, but not all.

WEST U.S.
Mount Bachelor: November 22, 2018
Mt. Hood Meadows: November 30, 2018

Grand Targhee: November 16, 2018

Solitude: December 1, 2018

Taos: November 22, 2018 - Ski Weeks start Dec. 9

Sugar Bowl: November 30, 2018
Diamond Peak: December 13, 2018

Aspen Mountain: November 22, 2018
Snowmass: November 22, 2018
Aspen Highlands: December 8, 2018

marzNC

Angel Diva
A few more places in NV/CA. Mt. Rose is a fun mountain for a day as part of a business trip to Reno. Summit is almost 11,000 ft so that's why it's good for early snowmaking and holding snow after early storms. Can get a red-eye out and have an entire day to play after a meeting since the airport is only about 45 away.

Mt Rose: October 26, 2018
Northstar: November 16, 2018
Kirkwood: November 25, 2018 tentative

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Re-arranged by sub-region in the western U.S. I'm not in the habit of flying out west for an early season trip in December. But starting to pay attention to the options after enjoying a late, late season trip to Oregon and California last May. Note that this list reflects my personal interests in terms of which locations are included. A lot of the places are on Ikon or Epic, but not all.

WEST U.S.
Mount Bachelor: November 22, 2018
Mt. Hood Meadows: November 30, 2018

Grand Targhee: November 16, 2018

Solitude: December 1, 2018

Taos: November 22, 2018 - Ski Weeks start Dec. 9

Aspen Mountain: November 22, 2018
Snowmass: November 22, 2018
Aspen Highlands: December 8, 2018

CORRECTION - due to installation of new lifts Copper's opening date is Nov. 16.
Copper began snow making this week.

marzNC

Angel Diva
CORRECTION - due to installation of new lifts Copper's opening date is Nov. 16.
Copper began snow making this week.
Thanks! It's always good to have updates from a local.

I expect there may well be adjustments to the opening date list depending on what Mother Nature does in the next few weeks. I probably won't bother to update the entire list until some time in Nov. People should check the website for particular locations for the latest news if they are seriously considering going skiing in the first week or two after an opening day.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Arizona Snowbowl on November 16. Not a big place, but it is my home mountain!
Cool! Looks like Purgatory plans to open on Nov. 17. Shows what investment in snowmaking can do, which is well known in the southeast and Mid-Atlantic.

I've been following the Power Pass mountains since James Coleman bought Purgatory in 2015. Getting even more interesting with what he wants to do with Nordic Valley in Utah.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hm, I see Sunday River's opening date estimated as 11/9. Not sure how reliable my source is (https://www.snowpak.com/maine/sunday-river/opening-dates), but it looks as if they've frequently opened early Nov. No guarantees, of course. Considering booking via Southwest (cancellable) for Thanksgiving while realizing conditions may not be great yet. Youtube has some videos of fantastic SR snowy Thanksgivings, which are tempting me.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hm, I see Sunday River's opening date estimated as 11/9. Not sure how reliable my source is (https://www.snowpak.com/maine/sunday-river/opening-dates), but it looks as if they've frequently opened early Nov. No guarantees, of course. Considering booking via Southwest (cancellable) for Thanksgiving while realizing conditions may not be great yet. Youtube has some videos of fantastic SR snowy Thanksgivings, which are tempting me.
Do you have an Ikon pass? In that case, might be fun. I trust OnTheSnow opening dates slightly more than Snowpak but generally look for an announcement on a ski resort's website. Snowpak has an office in Colorado, but their core staff are in Australia. I contributed to a couple of the resort guides. OnTheSnow is projecting Sat, Nov. 10 for Sunday River.

I've been to SR shortly after Thanksgiving twice in recent years. First time a full week after Thanksgiving and I had a good time on Friday. I think there were 4 lifts open. On Saturday there was a Diva meet up. It was snowing in the morning but turned to rain by lunch time. We didn't bother to ski in the afternoon. My second trip was the weekend after Thanksgiving when the demo day was on Saturday. I bought Liftopia tickets in advance since I drove with my daughter from Boston. Wasn't really worth it with essentially two lifts with open terrain and no way to ski between the two areas.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep, we have IKON passes. Hm, that doesn't sound amazing, but have heard it is very good in some years. Typical early season I suppose. If I book it, I'll book refundable... I don't mind if it isn't great skiing all day every day. Warming up the legs and getting to play some would make me happy.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yep, we have IKON passes. Hm, that doesn't sound amazing, but have heard it is very good in some years. Typical early season I suppose. If I book it, I'll book refundable... I don't mind if it isn't great skiing all day every day. Warming up the legs and getting to play some would make me happy.
Sunday River has amazing snowmaking, so it's really just whether or not Mother Nature provides enough cold weather by early November and doesn't toss in too many warm days right before Thanksgiving.

Keep in mind that Sugarloaf is on Ikon too. Should be open by Thanksgiving and could well have more open terrain and less of a crowd. It's not that a lot of people ski that weekend, but with limited terrain the trails can feel crowded. I've been reading up about Suglarloaf because I might drive up there after a mid-Dec weekend at Sunday River.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Considered Sugarloaf as well, but the additional drive is a deterrent. Also read SR generally has superior snowmaking and made an additional snowmaking upgrade this summer that supposedly will significantly increase their production ability. Wish I could just go to Mammoth, haha.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Considered Sugarloaf as well, but the additional drive is a deterrent. Also read SR generally has superior snowmaking and made an additional snowmaking upgrade this summer that supposedly will significantly increase their production ability. Wish I could just go to Mammoth, haha.
You thinking of flying into Boston? For Sugarloaf, would fly into Portland I think. All this thinking just goes to show what happens when someone has a multi-resort pass. :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly