• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

One piece baselayers- anyone have experience?

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was looking for something to wear under my dry suit on a late season middle fork rafting trip and came across a few Union suit base layers marketed to skiers.

I’m curious what people who have tried these think of them for skiing. Would make finding ski clothes super easy in the morning. They all have relief zippers so not sure how cumbersome that is.

I ordered one from LLBean and a smart wool one from Sierra trading post to check out (have to see how easy removing hood is for under drysuit)

Just looking for opinions from those who have actually skied in them.

Belgiangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have two that I use for skiing, both from Mons Royale and made of wool. One is full length with a hoodie, the other has 3/4 legs and a mesh back. Absolutely love them! Have used them all winter long, the lack of gaps in between the upper and lower body really helps to keep me warm. The ones I have aren't super thick imo, so if it's really cold I add a layer on top or even underneath.

Skaði

Diva in Training
I have the airblaster ninja suit with a hood (that has a ponytail tail port) and a zipper that goes almost all the way around the waist. It works well but takes a minute to get open so don't wait until you're bursting to go to the restroom. It is fairly thin and pretty warm but on most days I have additional layers on top and if it's really cold I add a bottom layer too.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When is your MF trip?

We are flying into Indian Creek I think 9/28- so super late season. Have you been? Any tips? I did the main in July with my family and rowed- but I’m going with a buddy on his raft this time- which means I row a lot while he fishes but anything with real consequences he will take the oars for. I’m gearing up for snow but will hope we don’t see any :-)

Last edited:

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh and I think I might decide to live in the smartwool onesie. It is the coziest thing I have ever put on!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Wow that is late, but outside of permit season. In the mountains you can expect anything. I do know this as we've done a number of late season trips. Pack light, and pack your raft light. IE, leave the 6 cases of beer, cast iron DO and 25# of potatoes at home. It's really rocky and if your boat is too heavy you are going to spend A LOT of time pushing it off of rocks. We see this every time we go late season: people pack for your typical kitchen sink/float and bloat/all the amenities trip and they spend the first two days turning into long days pushing the boat off rocks. So take a good look at your gear and maybe edit for weight. I'm not saying you have to go backpacking style, but there are a lot of ways to lighten the load which will make the first part of your trip much more pleasant. Are you going with an outfitter or just friends? With any luck you will need to wear the dry suit. That time of year can be beautiful.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks! It's just me and a bunch of friends. We did the Rogue together last year. I'm going to be the only middle fork newbie :-) My buddy has already sent a note about keeping weight down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly