• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

On the hunt for a soft tipped carving capable 84 to 90 inch waist ski for steeps and bumps

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@snoWYmonkey I am looking for a similar skis and what I have on my demo list are Salomon Stance 90, Armada Declivity 90 and Kendo. I probably will demo SR88 and Black Pearl too. I heard from multiple people not liking SR88 so you are not the first person not liking them, I think. I still want to demo SR88 because I like Stocklis, at least the ones I demoed so far.

I have read great things about Fischer Rangers too. I think they are softer - I am tall and heavy so they are probably not for me. Black Pearls are most likely too soft too, but I may still demo if they have the longer length.
The Stance has had some minor changes for next year that make them pretty awesome. So, try to find a 2024 pair to demo.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@snoWYmonkey I am looking for a similar skis and what I have on my demo list are Salomon Stance 90, Armada Declivity 90 and Kendo. I probably will demo SR88 and Black Pearl too. I heard from multiple people not liking SR88 so you are not the first person not liking them, I think. I still want to demo SR88 because I like Stocklis, at least the ones I demoed so far.

I have read great things about Fischer Rangers too. I think they are softer - I am tall and heavy so they are probably not for me. Black Pearls are most likely too soft too, but I may still demo if they have the longer length.
Armada Declivity is 92 mm wide

tri-ski-pucker

Diva in Training
My daily driver at Jackson Hole, unless there is a huge dump, is a Coalition Snow Rebel. 85 underfoot. Just feels like my soul ski. Keep demo-ing until you have that feeling on a ski in the conditions you encounter regularly. my narrower option for professional clinics is a Stockli Nela 80 and my wider ski is a Moment Sierra (99 waist mounted -1.5cm - see other strand!). If we are close on BSL you can try the Rebels at JH!

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love the Kastle DX 85. I bought them short to teach a bump clinic where participants are encouraged to ski shorter skis.

I love these skis! I am 5’8 and 145. They ski great. Carve nice, great in bumps and pow. Love these for teaching.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I love the Kastle DX 85. I bought them short to teach a bump clinic where participants are encouraged to ski shorter skis.

I love these skis! I am 5’8 and 145. They ski great. Carve nice, great in bumps and pow. Love these for teaching.
How much shorter are they compared to your skis that are a bit wider?

Taos instructors prefer that students who rent demo skis get them shorter. I ended up on skis 10cm shorter than my all-mountain skis during a Women's Ski Week when demo skis were free from the resort ski shop for a few days as a perk. The instructor was unhappy with the first skis I got that were the same length as my all-mountains skis. Both of the demo skis were about the same width as my own skis, mid-80s.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How much shorter are they compared to your skis that are a bit wider?

Taos instructors prefer that students who rent demo skis get them shorter. I ended up on skis 10cm shorter than my all-mountain skis during a Women's Ski Week when demo skis were free from the resort ski shop for a few days as a perk. The instructor was unhappy with the first skis I got that were the same length as my all-mountains skis. Both of the demo skis were about the same width as my own skis, mid-80s.
I normally ski on 170ish skis which are 71 wide.

The Kastles are 152.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love my QST Blanks and Stellas in the 106 and 112 widths. But not for groomers or big bumps as a primary workhorse ski.

My touring skis are Black Crows 98 underfoot and I love them.

It is that daily JH lesson ski that I can't seem to ever identify that my quiver is still missing. I thought for sure the stormrider would be it but it has a weird uneven chatter at the end of skidded high angle groomer turns that is super unnerving and is also harder to carve with on steeps at speed than I anticipated. It does ski bumps very and carves fine on mellower pitches. It has been reground and detuned, so I am stumped, but not alone in my frustration.
So, I finally got into boots that actually fit after all these years of missing the mark. With that, I was able to figure something out about my Nela 88s today because I was having the same feeling on steeper groomers that you are describing. I know you have a skillset that far outpaces mine, but I skied with a DECL emeritus about a month ago (prior to new boots) who had me working on pressuring farther back on my foot to finish and exit turns. It didn't entirely click until today in the Redsters, and my Nelas quit doing that skippy chatter thing. I focused on finishing my turns with pressure behind the arch of my foot, and it lightened the tips and locked in the tails (and my stem has disappeared--it's a miracle!)

Anyway, just something to throw out there. I've actually never been in a boot that I could put into practice such small nuances of the foot and have it make a noticeable difference.

And since you are an instructor, I figured you'd like to hear my story anyway :becky: :thumbsup:

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant I have tried different wieghting on them. Unfortunately for drills like side slips I need to be pretty centered and that's where they get really weord on steeps.

They carve beautifully but that type of high speed turn is sadly not one I can use in most lessons. Then they like being released with all that energy from rear to front....

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant I have tried different wieghting on them. Unfortunately for drills like side slips I need to be pretty centered and that's where they get really weord on steeps.

They carve beautifully but that type of high speed turn is sadly not one I can use in most lessons. Then they like being released with all that energy from rear to front....
Yes, that's the feeling for sure! I figured you'd tried different things, but for me it was quite the "aha!!" moment. I must say, I'm still suspicious of the tune because I've never had issues sideslipping on mine, and that's the first test my husband does to check the tune on a ski. I wish you were closer as I'd have him tune them for you. I'll also say I can make super slow turns on mine and they are like butter, but I'm on the Nela which has a lighter wood in the core. What length did you get?

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Yikes, that does not sound good, side slipping in steeps is super important to be able to do without thinking about your skis.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did have the bases and edges fully.reground and redone at my usual shop. One of my colleagues.seriously detuned his tails with success.

I am sure there is a little user error there somewhere and maybe just not the ski for me. Which is OK but an expensive lesson even though I did demo.

166cm and I am 165cm.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did have the bases and edges fully.reground and redone at my usual shop. One of my colleagues.seriously detuned his tails with success.

I am sure there is a little user error there somewhere and maybe just not the ski for me. Which is OK but an expensive lesson even though I did demo.

166cm and I am 165cm.
I am so sorry to hear that, it is frustrating. Hope you find a ski that you like for the conditions you need them to behave in.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

166cm and I am 165cm.
They do ski long. I am also 165 cm and like 165cm skis and longer, but not these; I have the 160. And yes, sometimes they just don't jive. What's your BSL? I'll be at JH in a couple weeks and you could ski my Nelas for a run or two.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They do ski long. I am also 165 cm and like 165cm skis and longer, but not these; I have the 160. And yes, sometimes they just don't jive. What's your BSL? I'll be at JH in a couple weeks and you could ski my Nelas for a run or two.
You are so kind. I demoed the nela last year.
So weird because i have the laser sc in a similar length and no issues. I would assume that would ski even longer as it is a traditional shaped ski. Have fun when you come out! Look for me.on the slopes.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You are so kind. I demoed the nela last year.
So weird because i have the laser sc in a similar length and no issues. I would assume that would ski even longer as it is a traditional shaped ski. Have fun when you come out! Look for me.on the slopes.
I've not skied the SC but really want to! The MX is a fantastic ski! FWIW Stockli has some new models coming out in 2024 that are 80 and 76 under foot, I believe.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Atomic Maven 86C was a surprise ski for me.. really fun, light but stable, easy turner for in the bumps and carved great. ahhh Stocklis I'm lusting after the Orea- Laser CX (69 underfoot) for a carver and the Montero (80 under foot) is a dream ski, not sure how the tails will fare in the bump, I thought it skied short I demo'd 170's I was surprised they seemed fine, most of my skis are 159-165. Maven is a super sweet ski. The Stockli Laser SC seemed stiffer to me and excelled when I got it 'up to speed' I didn't like at slow speeds.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Atomic Maven 86C was a surprise ski for me.. really fun, light but stable, easy turner for in the bumps and carved great. ahhh Stocklis I'm lusting after the Orea- Laser CX (69 underfoot) for a carver and the Montero (80 under foot) is a dream ski, not sure how the tails will fare in the bump, I thought it skied short I demo'd 170's I was surprised they seemed fine, most of my skis are 159-165. Maven is a super sweet ski. The Stockli Laser SC seemed stiffer to me and excelled when I got it 'up to speed' I didn't like at slow speeds.
Montero is good in the bumps, I skied them in the bumps a few times. The tips are softer, so they are very compliant in bumps and softer spring snow, yes it's a hero ski indeed.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A huge shout out to all the Divas for their input! It was fun, but frustrating as so few skis are available to demo in the 90 and under range where I live. Since demoing did me no favors this past go around, I did more research online and hopefully my gut is serving me what I need and envision.

I just bought skis, round two for the 22-23 season. Fischer Rangers 90 underfoot at 170cm length coming home, hopefully for good until they become rock skis. Sounds like a capable bump/soft carver, that can take some off piste. Perfect ski for teaching those little bit of all conditions lessons I hope.

coldthrill

Angel Diva
A huge shout out to all the Divas for their input! It was fun, but frustrating as so few skis are available to demo in the 90 and under range where I live. Since demoing did me no favors this past go around, I did more research online and hopefully my gut is serving me what I need and envision.

I just bought skis, round two for the 22-23 season. Fischer Rangers 90 underfoot at 170cm length coming home, hopefully for good until they become rock skis. Sounds like a capable bump/soft carver, that can take some off piste. Perfect ski for teaching those little bit of all conditions lessons I hope.
Congratulations! That's exciting. I'm following with a great deal of interest, as next year I hope to get a ski like the one you described looking for. I am loving my new SCs! I decided to go for the SRT 12 binding with the Speedplate. My speed is returning, my confidence is returning and so is my fearlessness. Can't say enough about how grateful I am to have demoed and then found these skis to buy. Wishing you all good things on your new Rangers! Please report back on them when you can.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations! That's exciting. I'm following with a great deal of interest, as next year I hope to get a ski like the one you described looking for. I am loving my new SCs! I decided to go for the SRT 12 binding with the Speedplate. My speed is returning, my confidence is returning and so is my fearlessness. Can't say enough about how grateful I am to have demoed and then found these skis to buy. Wishing you all good things on your new Rangers! Please report back on them when you can.
Now those are fun skis! They are still in storage. The snow is not firm enough and I am not needing to ski fast quite yet. I bought my SCs specifically to outski 2 groomer carving students. They are such fast and dependable skis. But a ton of work in big choppy bumps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly