• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

On the hunt for a soft tipped carving capable 84 to 90 inch waist ski for steeps and bumps

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am still on the hunt for the dreamy ski that is soft enough in the tip to handle really big and steep tight bumps in trees, but is also able to hold an edge during carved short radius turns on firm snow. 84 to 90 underfoot is what I need in my quiver as I have carvers that are narrower but way too stiff for bumps, and soft flexing wider skis that don't love being asked to go from carved turn to carved turn in firm snow.

Any suggestions for skis I might want to demo that manage to do both well?

The rossi experience was a bit bland, the volkl deacon 84s and stockli stormrider 88 did not fit the bill either. I am probably looking for the impossible...but will keep trying.

Thank you Divas for your suggestions.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MissySki Will look into that one. Hopefully for rent locally.

shadoj

Angel Diva
Funny, my rommate (male) is looking to get Deacon 84s for exactly the carver/tree/mogul versatility reason!

Have you ever tried the Moment Hot Mess? Double rocker but super-fun when I demoed it a couple years ago at Lutsen -- super fast edge to edge. Ended up going with something else narrower for the midwest, but I'd love to try it out again with the mount point set back 1-2cm.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I am still on the hunt for the dreamy ski that is soft enough in the tip to handle really big and steep tight bumps in trees, but is also able to hold an edge during carved short radius turns on firm snow. 84 to 90 underfoot is what I need in my quiver as I have carvers that are narrower but way too stiff for bumps, and soft flexing wider skis that don't love being asked to go from carved turn to carved turn in firm snow.

The rossi experience was a bit bland, the volkl deacon 84s and stockli stormrider 88 did not fit the bill either. I am probably looking for the impossible...but will keep trying.

CAn't wait for the suggestions.... I'm interested too.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am still on the hunt for the dreamy ski that is soft enough in the tip to handle really big and steep tight bumps in trees, but is also able to hold an edge during carved short radius turns on firm snow. 84 to 90 underfoot is what I need in my quiver . . .
Have you demo'd DPS skis?

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No never as they only carry wider options near me.

marzNC

Angel Diva
No never as they only carry wider options near me.
Hmm. I started demo'ing DPS skis at the annual Alta Demo Day in early April a while back. Since DPS is based in SLC, they are always there with a pretty full line up. Also, the Alta Ski Shop had DPS for demo rentals.

The Pagoda 90 RP might be fun for you.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't get away from the hole until the season is over...still hoping to make a match before it ends. I did see that pagoda online. Pushing the width size a touch.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I can't get away from the hole until the season is over...still hoping to make a match before it ends. I did see that pagoda online. Pushing the width size a touch.
One reason I bought the DPS Zelda when an opportunity came up is that even at 106 underfoot, I can carve it far easier than any other skis I've been on at that width. Haven't been demo'ing as much in recent years partially because between the Stöckli Stormrider 85 and the Zelda, I'm pretty well set.

What do you think of the Black Crow line?

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love my QST Blanks and Stellas in the 106 and 112 widths. But not for groomers or big bumps as a primary workhorse ski.

My touring skis are Black Crows 98 underfoot and I love them.

It is that daily JH lesson ski that I can't seem to ever identify that my quiver is still missing. I thought for sure the stormrider would be it but it has a weird uneven chatter at the end of skidded high angle groomer turns that is super unnerving and is also harder to carve with on steeps at speed than I anticipated. It does ski bumps very well and carves fine on mellower pitches. It has been reground and detuned, so I am stumped, but not alone in my frustration.

elemmac

Angel Diva

Three skis come to mind that could meet your wants outlined here:

- Kastle DX85 (unisex version) - I'm not sure if there are major differences between the unisex and the women's version. If there aren't any differences, you could go with either.
- Fischer Ranger 90
- Rossignol Sender 94Ti (or Rallybird 92)- I see this is a bit wider than your wants, but it would be worth a demo, IMO.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@snoWYmonkey I am looking for a similar skis and what I have on my demo list are Salomon Stance 90, Armada Declivity 90 and Kendo. I probably will demo SR88 and Black Pearl too. I heard from multiple people not liking SR88 so you are not the first person not liking them, I think. I still want to demo SR88 because I like Stocklis, at least the ones I demoed so far.

I have read great things about Fischer Rangers too. I think they are softer - I am tall and heavy so they are probably not for me. Black Pearls are most likely too soft too, but I may still demo if they have the longer length.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for all the suggesrions above. Some of those will get demoed for certain. Love my mantras at 96 so not likely to try a 94...

Kastles, salomon and armada are in the mix.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I should. Owned a pair years ago that i really liked!

Jilly

Staff member
I fell in love with Brahma 82's in Lake Louise. They didn't have any powder, but I did get them into lots of bumps and trees.

I would love to sell my Santa Anna's and get those instead.

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also recommend checking out the Volkl Blaze 86 and the Black Crows Vertis Birdie. I demoed both of these last year at Killington and they performed really well in the bumps as well as the groomers. If you want to emphasize bump performance I would lean towards the Blaze and if you want to emphasize carving then I'd lean more Vertis as it's a little stiffer than the Blaze (but by no means a stiff ski) and has less rocker.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna