• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Older beginner questioning used gear decision

WobblyKnees

Certified Ski Diva
Wondering if I’ve made a mistake in purchasing some used gear. Sporty but out-of-shape 45-year-old. Have skied before but at least 20 years ago (hoping some of that muscle memory will kick in). Trying to get back into it since 9-year-old son is taking snowboarding lessons in Nov and want to be out there with him more if he does get into it. Spent more time deciding on his used gear (got a great deal on a nice Jones board and Burton bindings) than mine and went ahead with purchasing Head First Thang 142cm with Head 100SL bindings, and Salomon X3 Irony 24.5 boots (photo attached). I’m 5’2” and 168lbs (yeah, slowly working on that). The boots feel really good (nice and snug with no wiggle room other than right at the toes), but I’m wondering if the skis are a dud? Can’t find much online about the First Thang model although I would assume it’s an older entry-level model due to the name. Gear is in good shape, with no noticeable gouges or nicks or rust. Any intel these or advice to keep or look for something else? No unrealistic expectations about quick progress to the black runs and lots of ski days in a year - just want something that will hold up to my higher weight-to-height ratio, be good for slow and steady, and do well for a season or two. And if the advice is to go for something better, what’s a reasonable price to spend for used gear that will fit the bill? Thanks!

Attachments

• 28EC2922-2095-42B2-9329-52E9911D7BFD.jpeg
    28EC2922-2095-42B2-9329-52E9911D7BFD.jpeg
    565.3 KB · Views: 18

Jilly

Staff member
The First Thang is a kid ski. Fast Thang was the women's ski. I doubt the binding can be adjusted to your weight. The boots are going to be really soft for you.

I think you should keep looking. Post what you see and we can give feedback.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I have a high weight: height ratio. I’m never going to be a light skier. Even at my skinniest, with lots of work, my BMI is 25. That’s the absolute SKINNIEST I can get and it means no fun cocktails, 2 glasses of wine a week/etc. (not going to happen, tbh)

I also resumed skiing after a 20 year hiatus, to ski with my kids, and am in my 40s. HI!!! :smile:

1) you can probably resell your gear at what you bought it for, b/c obviously that was the market. Do that first. The skis are kids gear, and as such I find the boots to be suspect already. :smile:
2) suggest newer boots OR maybe seasonal rental for you for equipment as you regain your legs and figure out what you like … Seasonal rentals are a great deal and allow you to bridge your ramp up period and some shops will let you move up your length as the season progresses if you are learning (ours will, if skis are available)
3) I wore my 20 year old boots last year, which were too big when I bought them and incredibly uncomfortable, but my foot had grown a whole size, so they were actually MORE comfortable last year, but they were too wide and caused me substantial inner ankle pain - big boots are evil. I bought new boots this year, but don’t think I would have had the confidence to know to tell them to size me down if I hadn’t skied the right length last year - does that make sense?

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Head had a full line of women’s skis named thang. Fast thang, wild thang, every thang, hot thang, cool thang, sweet fat thang (!), and the first ski I bought, the lite thang. First thang was the youth ski. I believe the thangs were all 2006-2008. However the SL100 is an adult binding. The youth versions were the SL45 , SL70, and SL75.
I don’t know about this year, but surprisingly it looks like the SL100 was still on the indemnified list last year. That means you have -some- chance that you can get the bindings adjusted by a ski tech, but no guarantees.

Between the fact that it is a youth ski and the bindings possibly not being on the indemnified list this season, I would recommend returning the skis if you can and looking for a newer adult model.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For a replacement ski, for getting back into the groove I would suggest looking for an intermediate ski, not too wide (85 max, 80 or under would be better) and around 150 for length.

Where are you located/ where will you be skiing?

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Ooooh, I’ll add that I had Cloud 9s last year for my first year back. (Midwest conditions, not long runs, very hard snow in general)… they were too short for me (5’7”, 150 cm ski, chin height) but the skis were AMAZING. Literally just pushing my weight forward into the boot tongue and shifting weight would send me into a fast but manageable turn. Great ramp back ski, tbh.

WobblyKnees

Certified Ski Diva
The First Thang is a kid ski. Fast Thang was the women's ski. I doubt the binding can be adjusted to your weight. The boots are going to be really soft for you.

I think you should keep looking. Post what you see and we can give feedback.
Thank you. That makes sense. How about a set of Rossignol Axium 140 with Tyrolia bindings (photo attached). They’re apparently 10 years old but have only been used 10 times or so.

Attachments

• 73DCF0DD-F9E4-4870-BCC9-9B4366A04D66.png
    73DCF0DD-F9E4-4870-BCC9-9B4366A04D66.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 9F2F4D29-E11A-4764-9FDC-5AD8C86EE554.jpeg
    9F2F4D29-E11A-4764-9FDC-5AD8C86EE554.jpeg
    608.6 KB · Views: 5

WobblyKnees

Certified Ski Diva
I have a high weight: height ratio. I’m never going to be a light skier. Even at my skinniest, with lots of work, my BMI is 25. That’s the absolute SKINNIEST I can get and it means no fun cocktails, 2 glasses of wine a week/etc. (not going to happen, tbh)

I also resumed skiing after a 20 year hiatus, to ski with my kids, and am in my 40s. HI!!! :smile:

1) you can probably resell your gear at what you bought it for, b/c obviously that was the market. Do that first. The skis are kids gear, and as such I find the boots to be suspect already. :smile:
2) suggest newer boots OR maybe seasonal rental for you for equipment as you regain your legs and figure out what you like … Seasonal rentals are a great deal and allow you to bridge your ramp up period and some shops will let you move up your length as the season progresses if you are learning (ours will, if skis are available)
3) I wore my 20 year old boots last year, which were too big when I bought them and incredibly uncomfortable, but my foot had grown a whole size, so they were actually MORE comfortable last year, but they were too wide and caused me substantial inner ankle pain - big boots are evil. I bought new boots this year, but don’t think I would have had the confidence to know to tell them to size me down if I hadn’t skied the right length last year - does that make sense?
Hi! I hear you on the not going to happen part. Ha ha. Yes, I do intend to sell these if I find better ones. Seasonal rentals are a good idea but the germaphobe in me would prefer buying used gear since it’s only one person’s germs vs many peoples’ germs. Ha ha. Thanks for the great advice!

WobblyKnees

Certified Ski Diva
Head had a full line of women’s skis named thang. Fast thang, wild thang, every thang, hot thang, cool thang, sweet fat thang (!), and the first ski I bought, the lite thang. First thang was the youth ski. I believe the thangs were all 2006-2008. However the SL100 is an adult binding. The youth versions were the SL45 , SL70, and SL75.
I don’t know about this year, but surprisingly it looks like the SL100 was still on the indemnified list last year. That means you have -some- chance that you can get the bindings adjusted by a ski tech, but no guarantees.

Between the fact that it is a youth ski and the bindings possibly not being on the indemnified list this season, I would recommend returning the skis if you can and looking for a newer adult model.
That makes sense. I didn’t consider the part about whether techs can work on them or not. Thanks!

WobblyKnees

Certified Ski Diva
For a replacement ski, for getting back into the groove I would suggest looking for an intermediate ski, not too wide (85 max, 80 or under would be better) and around 150 for length.

Where are you located/ where will you be skiing?
That’s not too long though? I like the idea of a shorter length for more control since I’m not super confident at this point. I’m in Calgary, so have a lot of options with Sunshine, Lake Louise, Nakiska, etc. all nearby but in the short-term as I find my feet, will be going to Canada Olympic Park (Winsport) for the bunny hill.

WobblyKnees

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you. That makes sense. How about a set of Rossignol Axium 140 with Tyrolia bindings (photo attached). They’re apparently 10 years old but have only been used 10 times or so.
Or Salomon Lagoon 150cm with L9 bindings? From 2013, I believe.

WobblyKnees

Certified Ski Diva
Ooooh, I’ll add that I had Cloud 9s last year for my first year back. (Midwest conditions, not long runs, very hard snow in general)… they were too short for me (5’7”, 150 cm ski, chin height) but the skis were AMAZING. Literally just pushing my weight forward into the boot tongue and shifting weight would send me into a fast but manageable turn. Great ramp back ski, tbh.
What about the Cloud 6s? Too old?

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@WobblyKnees The Cloud 6s had a few different bindings. Most are not on the indemnified list, or they were just marked as their last season for 2020-2021 (not sure when the list turns over for 2021-2022). The Lagoons with L9s are still on the list. The Rossignol Axium is closer to 17-20 years old at this point and wouldn't be on the list.

The bigger concern I have is that all 3 are composite (foam) core skis with cap construction. Manufacturers made a lot of these for beginner women, but many are moving away from it since they're poor quality skis with very little capacity to support progression. (Composite core skis hardly even exist on the men's side of the aisle). They're very soft, which makes them unstable if you've got much force behind them. Force comes from mass & acceleration. Weight comes in handy when it comes to driving a ski. Also, I feel like lots of women see the word "speed" and don't associate it with their skiing and their goals. Cruising groomers with connected turns is way faster than the creeping, crawling wedge turns skiers start with on day 1.

Most manufacturers make their piste ski lines with 3-4 models, one super soft one for never-ever skiers, one for casual recreational skiers who cruise, and a 3rd for the mach speed ex-racer types. So going back to the Cloud 6, it's been replaced by the Cloud 7 (same concept though). The Cloud 9 is the approachable cruiser, and the 12 and 14 are advanced / expert models. That 2nd tier slot will give you more room for progression and be stiff enough for the force you have to flex the ski.

Foam might get the job done while your son sizes up how he likes boarding, but if you plan to get 7-10 days in, equip yourself to have fun just like your son. Ski moms tend to put themselves last on the gear list, but you deserve it!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good question! Those skis look to be in really good shape, but from the graphics and a quick search it looks like the 2014 model with xte10 bindings. On the list I have it shows “E XTE 10” and the rental version “XTE 10 ++” being final season. Sometimes they do carry bindings over as final season for more than one year. It would be worth a call to a larger ski shop to ask if they have this year’s list yet and double check.

newboots

Angel Diva
Take a clear photo of the bindings and take it to the nearest ski shop, if you can't borrow the skis before you buy them. Ask the techs there whether the bindings are indemnified. Last' year's list is a great start, but you literally won't find anyone to work on them legally if they didn't make it this year.

I am 5'4", and started as a 62-year-old never-ever on 149 cm. skis. (Season rentals) Buying a boot is much preferred over renting - date your skis, but marry your boots!

Oops! @diymom had a better idea - just saw that!

WobblyKnees

Certified Ski Diva
Good question! Those skis look to be in really good shape, but from the graphics and a quick search it looks like the 2014 model with xte10 bindings. On the list I have it shows “E XTE 10” and the rental version “XTE 10 ++” being final season. Sometimes they do carry bindings over as final season for more than one year. It would be worth a call to a larger ski shop to ask if they have this year’s list yet and double check.
One tech shop says that it IS on current list so all good. I don’t know how they check model when you bring them in since there are no model name or numbers anywhere on the bindings though!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna