• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Old versus New?

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
I thought I read through your posts. I looked twice through this thread, but my scanning must have missed the important parts. Sorry!!!

I'm so glad you are a mogul skier. I too bought mogul skis - something I did last season, but haven't gotten onto them yet. You are ahead of me, because you've been on the skis you bought and I haven't yet been on mine. My intention was to be informative, but clearly you didn't need any information and I overstepped. Please forgive me!

Just call me Debbie Downer. :smile:
I apologize as well for snapping…it took me years to get on new/modern skis and this was huge for me. I realize that my ski choice isn’t for everyone but it’s perfect for me. I just started teaching my two boys how to navigate moguls this season - they’re already hooked. It’s in our blood. My little guy shocked me - I wish I could have him join a competitive team but we aren’t close enough to a major mountain. Thank you for your reply.

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
I am really excited for your happiness! There is a local "legend" at my hill that my friends and I have named Mogul Man, who still does laps weekly in old straight skis. He kills it in all conditions. Missed riding with him by one chair a couple weeks ago, though he's supposedly a "character"!

It's going to be fun to have new, safe equipment that makes you happy. Some of us will of course insist on making you try wider (gasp, 80mm skis?!) someday in "powder" conditions. Hahaha!

I never raced*, but started on straight skis as a kid. I'm quite comfortable with a ski narrower than my foot, too!

*I have a trophy from Big Sky ski school, power-plowing through the beginner's course at age 7. I don't count that :D
You get it, girlfriend!!! Shine that trophy - doesn’t matter how old you were when you got it…you still won it!! Always count your best days because it all adds up to your today!! I love reading about these characters on the mountains: Mogul Man, Power-Plower… hey, up until last week I was “Lady Vintage.” Maybe I should reboot and go with “Flash Bottom”?! As long as we are still skiing and enjoying every minute. Right?! Thank you for the love and support!!

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
This is the link to this ski....

Expert level - check
Wood core - check
no metal - what the stability and flex

A mogul specific ski is very soft as it has to give and absorb pressure.

The side cut is pretty minimal so a step up from your straight skis, but not full on shape like a Hero ST Ti.

Ski them some more and tell us how it going.
I almost - almost - went for the Hero ST Ti…. I still might go back and snag a pair if I can get a deal end of season…or maybe next year. I liked those as well. They felt far more all-mountain, for when I’m up for it! I felt good on them but preferred the moguls overall. I gotta give myself time to adjust before I get another pair. Thank you for all your help!! I based all my research off our shared posts along with the other ladies who chimed in to help. I pretty much narrowed down my selection to a handful of skis before I even went for my demo. I knew exactly what I wanted so I wasn’t surprised when I loved them during the demo!!

kfly

Diva in Training
For real. A girls gotta get caught up. Thank you!! Do demos typically happen at shops? When I was purchasing my new boots back in December - I felt like the sales reps were really pushy and gave me their opinion on everything instead of listening to my needs. I didn’t even bother looking at skis that day because I felt dizzy after picking out boots. Thanks again!
Hi, A few ski shops will rent high-end skis and sometimes you can request a performance ski. When you arrive at the shop you can discuss the type of skier you are and what you might be interested in trying, the really good ski shops can often accommodate. I feel your pain in making the switch, it is not easy, but I have to agree once you do, it is easier. I went out on a limb a few years ago and purchased a wider Nordica, 84, more all-mountain. I definitely wouldn't go wider and am considering a more narrow ski again. Good luck, you know the type of skier you are, so trust your instincts because, at the end of the day, you want to have fun!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
.... I’ve already demo’d the skis I purchased…I made my choice based off the experience I had on them. Be happy for me!! I actually found modern skis that I love!!....
@KimarieSnow did successfully find a mogul ski to demo, and she was able afterwards to buy one just like it new, flat, and unused. Most shops don't offer mogul skis as rentals, so she really lucked out.
Hi, A few ski shops will rent high-end skis and sometimes you can request a performance ski. When you arrive at the shop you can discuss the type of skier you are and what you might be interested in trying, the really good ski shops can often accommodate.....

shadoj

Angel Diva
I almost - almost - went for the Hero ST Ti…. I still might go back and snag a pair if I can get a deal end of season…or maybe next year. I liked those as well. They felt far more all-mountain, for when I’m up for it!
What else did you get a chance to demo? We're all chomping at the bit to start working on adding ski #2 to your quiver :P

I also picture you starting out your day at the top of a mogul run bouncing up and down shouting: "Bumps! I eat you for breakfast! My skis will destroy you!"

I'm glad your kiddos have the same attitude!

shadoj

Angel Diva
My only regret (which is so foolish and utterly immature of me): the base of my new skis are just black and white. My K2 racers have signature neon pink bottoms. Back in the day, when it was just straight skis - that’s how we knew what type of skier you were in my small world! Pink bottoms = bad-ass skier.
Pretty much all the bases for race skis are black (or mostly-black) these days, due to additives that help with speed, durability, and electrostatic dissipation. Carbon/graphite is pretty typical, black, and will dull/overwhelm other colors. The topsheets, on the other hand, are generally bold with nature's warning colors! Like your nice new red & black skis! If it's patterned & colored like something that could poison or sting or eat you... yep, fast ski.

The park & all-mountain/freestyle/freeride skis are where it's at for neon bases these days.
I've seen some really cool fluorescent pink helmets, jackets, pants, & poles lately!

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
@KimarieSnow did successfully find a mogul ski to demo, and she was able afterwards to buy one just like it new, flat, and unused. Most shops don't offer mogul skis as rentals, so she really lucked out.
I actually demo’d from Pelican. They are a huge ski/spa shop in NJ. We are very good customers of Pelican for our spa and our kids skis annually. They let me try anything I wanted and even offer it for the weekend. They have an enormous selection - if it’s available then they have it!! So I did get lucky - But I think that’s only bc we are excellent customers otherwise.

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
What else did you get a chance to demo? We're all chomping at the bit to start working on adding ski #2 to your quiver :P

I also picture you starting out your day at the top of a mogul run bouncing up and down shouting: "Bumps! I eat you for breakfast! My skis will destroy you!"

I'm glad your kiddos have the same attitude!
Besides the two dif Rossi - I tried Armada ARW’s and Blizzard Black Pearls…I think there was one other but I can’t recall at the moment. I did my best to give it a “well rounded” demo go. Once I was on my hero’s - I didn’t want to take them off. I do want to get the other Rossi Hero ST TI skis though - something more all-mountain.

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
Rossi Hero is not all mountain. It's a tuned down race ski. The ST at 65 mm underfoot, it's not there. Even the MT is 74 and way too soft.
Got it! May not buy anything “all mountain” for a while… I just need more experience overall on modern skis.

whiteface4ever

Diva in Training
KimarieSnow and all, I have really appreciated this free discussion.
In a similar boat and I appreciate the difficulty of moving forward - my Rossi 195s have been babied for years & years & years and they still carve smooth turns for me - and cannot beat that long edge on the eastern hard pack. I'll add a thought - these have been everywhere with me - and emotional attachment is fun for me.

Again, one of the best discussions that I have seen about the transition from straight skis to shaped skis. OP, thank you for the detail and up front talk. Easy to see that you love your skiing. Ski on...

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Have you considered taking a lesson on the new skis. They don't ski the same as straight skis. Technique had evolved along with technology.

Jilly

Staff member
Rossi's all mountain is the Experience line. I'm going to be trying the Atomic Cloud Q line shortly. More front side than all mountain but wider than the Cloud's.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly