• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Old versus New?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
"Big, clunky and awkward" (too lazy to go back and quote you on this, but I know it's there). Again, if it's any consolation to you, this is still how DH feels about super-wide powder skis. Anything over 95, and he isn't happy. This is someone who skied on 65-68 wide skis, ax 195-200, for 30+ years, in deep powder, chunder, chutes - the whole deal - because those skis were the only option. Old habits die hard. He does have a 95 but he will only use it when there are bona fide freshies. Even then, he'd prefer a mid 80's. You have much company from "the old school."

newboots

Angel Diva
@Lmk92 - I don't know bootfitters in the area where we are going. I do recommend (near Okemo, not really on the way) Rob or Tom at Northern Ski Works in Ludlow, and that guy (Shon? Shawn?) at The Boot Doctor up the street from them. An appointment might be needed. I expect both of those shops are open on Sunday.

I'm not sure how you get to Bretton Woods from your neck of the woods. I-84 to I-91? I'll leave this question in @liquidfeet's competent hands.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I'm going to hold off until I get there. I skied Canaan Valley without a problem, so I'm really unsure what's happening. I also found inserts that came with the boots that may help, at least until I get to a good bootfitter.

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
Even if they're not having any demo days coming up, their shop down at the Valley Lodge does demo rentals all season long.

Buckmans used to do demo days at a bunch of different mountains, but I haven't seen that happening in more recent years. We used to hit up the one at Camelback each year. But it might be worthwhile to call and ask them. They're a local chain in the Philly area. Not sure where you're at in NJ and if you'd be familiar with them.
Thank you so much!!! Camel back is about 30 mins from me - we love it there!! Stay tuned on my new skis!! You ladies are the bomb for help, ideas and advice!!❤️

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
"Big, clunky and awkward" (too lazy to go back and quote you on this, but I know it's there). Again, if it's any consolation to you, this is still how DH feels about super-wide powder skis. Anything over 95, and he isn't happy. This is someone who skied on 65-68 wide skis, ax 195-200, for 30+ years, in deep powder, chunder, chutes - the whole deal - because those skis were the only option. Old habits die hard. He does have a 95 but he will only use it when there are bona fide freshies. Even then, he'd prefer a mid 80's. You have much company from "the old school."
“Old school” has its charmed following for certain!! ❤️

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
Ahem… (drum roll please)…
Hear ye, hear ye…By order of the Ski Diva Goddesses, I introduce you to my very first pair of 21st Century skis! Say hello to my little friends: Rossignol Hero Mogul Accelere!!!!

Happy dance!!
Heyyyyoooo!!
Whoot!! Whoot!!
I’m so happy, I just creamed!!
Boom-shacka-lacka!!
Can I getta-whaat-whaat!!
How YOU do’in!!
Bouyah!!

Now, that I’ve got all that out of my system, I want to thank you all for the feedback, advice, support and sheer love of skiing. Without you all, I would not have made this purchase. I’ve never owned a pair of Rossi’s - yet my first run felt like “home” on them (@Jilly - the best!! No wonder you’re a Rossi-gal!) I selected the hero moguls due to my style of skiing and their overall performance. The shape isn’t far off from my straights either, a mere 1/4 inch at the waist and only 1.25 inches at the widest point (so, :::thbbbbft::: to all the straight haters of the world).

My only regret (which is so foolish and utterly immature of me): the base of my new skis are just black and white. My K2 racers have signature neon pink bottoms. Back in the day, when it was just straight skis - that’s how we knew what type of skier you were in my small world! Pink bottoms = bad-ass skier. It was always a kick to catch some air and see the crazy pink bottoms flash across the white snow. Even my last few runs on my K2’s - a few fond followers asked me if “those have the neon pink flashy bottoms, right?!” Bittersweet. R.I.P. straights. Love you and will always remember you. Aw well, maybe Rossignol will see this and start making pink neon bottoms?!

Come to think of it… Psst…Hey K2, Christian Louboutin bit off your flashy iconic bottoms!! **Squirrel**

Thank you all again!! So happy!! Transferring my new bindings this weekend just in time for more snow in the NE!!

Attachments

• 8B5D238A-C6AF-458D-A9B2-FB77413D7D91.jpeg
    8B5D238A-C6AF-458D-A9B2-FB77413D7D91.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 20

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ahem… (drum roll please)…
Hear ye, hear ye…By order of the Ski Diva Goddesses, I introduce you to my very first pair of 21st Century skis! Say hello to my little friends: Rossignol Hero Mogul Accelere!!!!

Happy dance!!
Heyyyyoooo!!
Whoot!! Whoot!!
I’m so happy, I just creamed!!
Boom-shacka-lacka!!
Can I getta-whaat-whaat!!
How YOU do’in!!
Bouyah!!

Now, that I’ve got all that out of my system, I want to thank you all for the feedback, advice, support and sheer love of skiing. Without you all, I would not have made this purchase. I’ve never owned a pair of Rossi’s - yet my first run felt like “home” on them (@Jilly - the best!! No wonder you’re a Rossi-gal!) I selected the hero moguls due to my style of skiing and their overall performance. The shape isn’t far off from my straights either, a mere 1/4 inch at the waist and only 1.25 inches at the widest point (so, :::thbbbbft::: to all the straight haters of the world).

My only regret (which is so foolish and utterly immature of me): the base of my new skis are just black and white. My K2 racers have signature neon pink bottoms. Back in the day, when it was just straight skis - that’s how we knew what type of skier you were in my small world! Pink bottoms = bad-ass skier. It was always a kick to catch some air and see the crazy pink bottoms flash across the white snow. Even my last few runs on my K2’s - a few fond followers asked me if “those have the neon pink flashy bottoms, right?!” Bittersweet. R.I.P. straights. Love you and will always remember you. Aw well, maybe Rossignol will see this and start making pink neon bottoms?!

Come to think of it… Psst…Hey K2, Christian Louboutin bit off your flashy iconic bottoms!! **Squirrel**

Thank you all again!! So happy!! Transferring my new bindings this weekend just in time for more snow in the NE!!
Congrats on your new skis!! It's so exciting when you find a pair that fits your style so well! :thumbsup:

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
Woot woot! Congrats! Best wishes for many happy runs on those new Rossi's.

Pay homage to your retired, beloved K2 racers....maybe a shot ski?
That’s actually a great idea!! Been wondering what I should do with my K2’s… so that’s brilliant!! Thank you for all your advice throughout the process!! So grateful!!❤️

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@KimarieSnow, I'm curious. Will you be focusing on skiing moguls on your new mogul skis? You just bought a specialized ski designed for racing down the zipper line on moguls and taking jumps. What length did you get?

Below is what I found about this ski on several of the sites that sell thm. You may know that these skis will not act like "modern" skis. I think that's why you chose them. But now I'm wondering if you plan on mostly skiing bumps.

"The 2022 Rossignol Hero Athlete Mogul Accelere is a purebred, competition-level freestyle ski for mogul athletes, designed for hard-charging mogul lines and stomping a four-point landing."

This ski comes in two lengths, 166cm and 172cm.
Turn radius at 166cm is 23m.
The waist is 63 mm.
This ski has no camber and no rocker.

Last edited:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In other words, @KimarieSnow, you won't need to take a lesson to take advantage of the performance capabilities of modern skis, as these are not meant to turn automatically when you put them on edge. Did you know this when you bought them?

I've continued to look for info on these skis. Another site says they have camber, but the one I looked at before said flat, no camber. So I'm not sure. Here's one more quote about them:

"The 2022 Rossignol Hero Mogul Accelere Skis are a true FIS Athlete Ski. This is a race stock ski and built for the strongest of mogul skiers. You may recognize this ski as being on the podium at the Winter Olympics."

I've also found that there is a toned down version meant for junior mogul skiers. If your ski has "Athlete" in its name, then it's the FIS version. If it doesn't, it may be the junior toned down version. Reviews say both and contradict each other, so there's that.

I hope you like them!

Last edited:

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
@KimarieSnow, I'm curious. Will you be focusing on skiing moguls on your new mogul skis? You just bought a specialized ski designed for racing down the zipper line on moguls and taking jumps. What length did you get?

Below is what I found about this ski on several of the sites that sell thm. You may know that these skis will not act like "modern" skis. I think that's why you chose them. But now I'm wondering if you plan on mostly skiing bumps.

"The 2022 Rossignol Hero Athlete Mogul Accelere is a purebred, competition-level freestyle ski for mogul athletes, designed for hard-charging mogul lines and stomping a four-point landing."

This ski comes in two lengths, 166cm and 172cm.
Turn radius at 166cm is 23m.
The waist is 63 mm.
This ski has no camber and no rocker.

KimarieSnow

Certified Ski Diva
There’s always at least one of you out there…gotta rain on my happy!?! I’m curious too: Did you read through any of my posts? If so, you’d have seen that I’m a seasoned skier and have 41 years experience - moguls being my favorite challenge. I’ve already demo’d the skis I purchased…I made my choice based off the experience I had on them. Be happy for me!! I actually found modern skis that I love!! For Pete’s sake. You took time to dig up research on the skis I purchased, but never once took time read through my posts and understand exactly why I made this choice.

shadoj

Angel Diva
I am really excited for your happiness! There is a local "legend" at my hill that my friends and I have named Mogul Man, who still does laps weekly in old straight skis. He kills it in all conditions. Missed riding with him by one chair a couple weeks ago, though he's supposedly a "character"!

It's going to be fun to have new, safe equipment that makes you happy. Some of us will of course insist on making you try wider (gasp, 80mm skis?!) someday in "powder" conditions. Hahaha!

I never raced*, but started on straight skis as a kid. I'm quite comfortable with a ski narrower than my foot, too!

*I have a trophy from Big Sky ski school, power-plowing through the beginner's course at age 7. I don't count that :D

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There’s always at least one of you out there…gotta rain on my happy!?! I’m curious too: Did you read through any of my posts? If so, you’d have seen that I’m a seasoned skier and have 41 years experience - moguls being my favorite challenge. I’ve already demo’d the skis I purchased…I made my choice based off the experience I had on them. Be happy for me!! I actually found modern skis that I love!! For Pete’s sake. You took time to dig up research on the skis I purchased, but never once took time read through my posts and understand exactly why I made this choice.
I thought I read through your posts. I looked twice through this thread, but my scanning must have missed the important parts. Sorry!!!

I'm so glad you are a mogul skier. I too bought mogul skis - something I did last season, but haven't gotten onto them yet. You are ahead of me, because you've been on the skis you bought and I haven't yet been on mine. My intention was to be informative, but clearly you didn't need any information and I overstepped. Please forgive me!

Just call me Debbie Downer. :smile:

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I don’t think it’s foolish to be sad to say goodbye to your hot pink bases. How fun. I love love love the shotski idea! And YAY!!! Congratulations on finding what you wanted!

Jilly

Staff member
This is the link to this ski....

Expert level - check
Wood core - check
no metal - what the stability and flex

A mogul specific ski is very soft as it has to give and absorb pressure.

The side cut is pretty minimal so a step up from your straight skis, but not full on shape like a Hero ST Ti.

Ski them some more and tell us how it going.

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You could always get another pair with a pink top sheet instead? :rotf:
received_998509791012524~2.jpeg

Can we just turn this into a new ski thread and show off all our new skis?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly