• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Old School ski areas to explore

marzNC

Angel Diva
As noted back in July 2019 when I started this thread, the list is not meant to be comprehensive. It's mostly names of ski areas mentioned by Divas or that I have first-hand experience with or curiosity about based on what I've learned elsewhere. Since the NYSkiBlog covers New York in a comprehensive way, I haven't spent much time searching out old school places there.

Here's the latest version of my personal list. My thinking about "old school" is that there is a low key vibe, the lodge and terrain are family friendly, there are good areas to learn for children and adults, often lower cost, and less worry about lift lines even on weekends. The split at 500 acres is purely arbitrary.

In short, this is a list of suggestions of places to explore and discuss, and not meant to be comprehensive. Best to check on details if considering checking a ski area out as some places are only open a few days a week even during mid-season.

? - old school to some people, but not to others
Bold - not on the list the last time I posted it

CANADA

QUE: Mont Blanc, Mont Gabriel, Mont Garçeau, Vorlage
ONT: Batawa Ski Club
NL: Smokey Mountain
BC: Whitewater (1200 acres)

MORE THAN 500 ACRES

49 Degrees North, WA
Mt. Spokane, WA
White Pass, WA
Willamette Pass, WA
Anthony Lakes (cat skiing), OR
Hoodoo, OR
Dodge Ridge, CA
Homewood Mountain Resort (views of Lake Tahoe), CA
Sierra-at-Tahoe, CA
Diamond Peak, NV

Blacktail, MT - bought by Mission Ridge Nov 2021
?Bridger Bowl (non-profit), MT
Great Divide, MT
Turner Mountain, MT
Lost Trail Pass, MT
Lookout Pass, ID/MT
Bogus Basin, ID
Brundage, ID
Pebble Creek (near Pocatello), ID
Pomerelle, ID
?Grand Targhee, WY
?Alta Ski Area, UT
Beaver Mountain, UT
Brian Head, UT
Brighton Resort, UT
Powder Mountain (restricts number of day tickets), UT

Eldora, CO
Loveland, CO
Monarch, CO
Powder Horn (near Grand Junction), CO
Sunlight Mountain (near Aspen), CO
Wolf Creek, CO
Santa Fe, NM

Mt. Bohemia, MI

?Sugarloaf, ME

OLD SCHOOL LESS THAN 500 ACRES

CA: Badger Pass (in Yosemite), Boreal, Granlibbakken, Mt. Waterman, Soda Springs, Snow Valley

WA: Bluewood, Loup Loup Ski Bowl (non-profit), Summit East at Snoqualmie Pass
OR: Mount Ashland (non-profit), Ferguson Ridge

MT: Maverick Mountain
WY: Pine Creek
CO: Echo, Howelsen Hill, Monarch, Ski Cooper, Wolf Creek
NM: Pajarito, Sipapu

Midwest in general: any ski area on the Indy Pass
MI: Nubs Nob
IA: Seven Oaks

ME: Mount Abram, Shawnee Peak (formerly Pleasant Mountain), Black Mountain (non-profit), Lost Valley, Big Rock (non-profit, formerly Mars Hill Skiway)

NH in general, except Loon: Arrowhead (non-profit), Attitash, Black Mountain, Cannon, Cranmore, Crotched, Dartmouth Skiway, Ragged, Tenney, Waterville Valley, Wildcat

VT:
Ascutney (non-profit), Bolton Valley, Bromley, Cochran's Ski Area, Mad River Glen (coop ownership), Middlebury Ski Bowl, Magic Mountain, Northeast Slopes, ?Pico, Queechee, ?Smuggler’s Notch, Suicide Six

MA: Berkshire East, Bousquet, Catamount (on NY border), Nashoba Valley (near Boston), Ski Butternut
CT: Mohawk, Powder Ridge
RI: Yawgoo Valley

NY:
Western NY: Buffalo Ski Center, Kissing Bridge, Snow Ridge
Central NY: Greek Peak, Labrador, Plattekill, Song, Swain
Catskills NY: ?Belleayre, Mt. Peter, Plattekill
Upstate NY: ?Gore, McCauley, Mt. Royal, Thunder Ridge, Titus Mountain, West Mountain

PA:
West (drive from Pittsburgh or DC): Blue Knob; Laurel Mountain
East PA (drive from Philly or DC): Big Bear at Masthope Mt.; Elk; Jack Frost/Big Boulder; Montage; Shawnee Mountain

WV: Winterplace, Canaan Valley, ?Timberline
NC: Appalachian, Beech, ?Sugar, Cataloochee

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
As noted back in July 2019 when I started this thread, the list is not meant to be comprehensive. It's mostly names of ski areas mentioned by Divas or that I have first-hand experience with or curiosity about based on what I've learned elsewhere. Since the NYSkiBlog covers New York in a comprehensive way, I haven't spent much time searching out old school places there.
Totally! That's why I only mentioned the two we actually frequent. I appreciate you starting the thread and was excited to find the place where my home ski areas fit on the forum!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva

marzNC

Angel Diva
And another for the under-500 acres category in Oregon is Warner Canyon Ski Area. Love having this list!
Very cool! The advice to "patch up" gear certainly fits it with the old school concept. Looks like 300 acres with about 800 ft vertical. Still twice as big as ski areas in the southeast. Big difference is that Warner has operated since 1938 and still has no snowmaking. I'll add it to the non-profit list too.

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 4.23.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-11-21 at 4.24.06 PM.png

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is definitely old school and has a real community feel. "The ski hill [lodge]" is one of a few spots in town people will rent for larger events like class reunions, retirement parties, etc. Hoping they get enough snow to open and I'm able to get a few half days in over the holidays - hard to beat that $30/half day $40/full price tag anymore!

marzNC

Angel Diva
A key strength of old school ski areas is that owners are more like to tell the full story when things don't work out as planned. Jon Schaefer has been running Berkshire East for a while. Catamount was purchased relatively recently, so the planned big projects weren't quite done before the pandemic hit. Sounds like the frigid weather and other unexpected issues made the 2022 MLK Weekend extra challenging. Per usual, Jon is being completely transparent about the situation.

Berkshire East and Catamount are on in the Indy Pass. Looking forward to skiing at both next month.

January 17, 2022
"
Hi all. Jon Schaefer here. I run Berkshire East and Catamount.

My family has owned Berkshire East since 1976, and Catamount since 2018. When we bought Catamount in 2018, we committed to revitalizing it and haven't stopped. Admittedly, these improvements haven't been easy, and there have been some real challenges. In June 2020, we discovered structural issues with the old Chair 1 double. We tore it down, not because we wanted to, but because we had to... We embarked on replacing it with a refurbished Poma. This lift was ultimately unable to be installed until the summer of 2021. Additionally, we choose to replace the nearly 60 year old double up the center of the mountain that serviced the center beginner and race terrain with a refurbished early 2000’s lift that we purchased last winter from Holiday Valley.

With a little self-inflicted wound of trying to do too much, and a healthy dose of COVID and all that comes with it, we’ve experienced a myriad of parts delays, . . .
. . .

At Catamount, we've mostly swallowed the pig that's plagued the start of the season, and we are getting ahead of it. At Berkshire East, we had a couple of wonky lift issues that hurt yesterday's holiday experience, but we are on it and have moved past those issues.

In terms of capacity, we are looking at our presale ticket numbers at both resorts to manage capacity. We didn't announce it this year, but we have capped our numbers internally on the ticket side by managing day ticket sales in the same way we did last year. Unfortunately, the crowds were thrown out of whack yesterday by a higher-than-normal season pass holder arrival rate, so we will do what we can to manage the ticket sale numbers and are looking at capping those at a lower number.

Anyway, we will persevere through these challenges, which I must say are 100% caused by working through upgrades to the systems and are 100% my fault for pushing ahead on and we are not going to stop. 2022 will see improved snowmaking upgrades at both resorts, but you will see more staff, stability and the completion of this first phase of effort."

Lmk92

Angel Diva
"Our staff is incredible, and we are adding to it with talented staff from some of the ''big guys.''

I really hope this means he's paying well, and offering good perks.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Titus is one of several old school ski hills in NY.

January 23, 2024

There are 40+ ski areas/resorts in NY, depending on how you want to count areas that are for XC only. There are 9 hills on the Indy Pass for 2023-24, or 10 if you count Catamount that straddles the NY/MA border.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The original Jackson Hole ski resort at exactly 500 acres is Snow King where all the kids are still learning to race under the night lights. Snow King

marzNC

Angel Diva
Song and Labrador in central NY are two ski areas fairly close together and owned by the same man. Song has just under 100 acres, with 70 acres set up for snowmaking and night skiing. Labrador has 250 acres, with most of it set up for snowmaking and night skiing on 180 acres. Both have 700 ft vertical.

OnTheSnow is a good source for basic info in a standardized format for ski areas that are off the beaten track.

January 20, 2024

Posse Mama

Certified Ski Diva
Earlier this month I skied at Big Bear in Masthope, PA. It is a community owned hill with resident deeded lift passes. I rode the chair with a volunteer who helped to paint a chair lift this past summer. I was there on a gray day and the newly painted red chair lift was a highlight. Small and sweet, I saw every department working to get the mt open.

Attachments

• IMG_3017.jpg
    IMG_3017.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3001.jpg
    IMG_3001.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1

marzNC

Angel Diva
Happy to report that Nordic Valley in Utah has figured out how to re-open after the fire that took out the main base building that had ticketing, rentals, and the food service. Food trucks are provided food options. They are building a structure for the bar and expect to re-open soon.

February 1, 2024

This video of night skiing powder off the Apollo lift was uploaded in December 2023. Night skiing is 3-8pm Mon-Sat and lift tickets are very reasonable. Great place for families to get kids started. When I stopped by at dusk several years ago, the terrain reminded me of the mid-Atlantic in terms of the pitch for the trails I could see from the base.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love this movie! No narration, but totally made me want to go ski at night on a powder day. That is saying a lot! Glad they found a way to stay open. Also love it that the pro skier stunt double was the pro skier....good sense of humour.

Posse Mama

Certified Ski Diva
Happy to report that Nordic Valley in Utah has figured out how to re-open after the fire that took out the main base building that had ticketing, rentals, and the food service. Food trucks are provided food options. They are building a structure for the bar and expect to re-open soon.

February 1, 2024

This video of night skiing powder off the Apollo lift was uploaded in December 2023. Night skiing is 3-8pm Mon-Sat and lift tickets are very reasonable. Great place for families to get kids started. When I stopped by at dusk several years ago, the terrain reminded me of the mid-Atlantic in terms of the pitch for the trails I could see from the base.

Thankyou for sharing this beautiful video. It is a "take me to church" moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly