• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Old, arthritic knees...DO & DON'T

Bluestsky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Got to desperate point that I need to know what to do to be able to continue having fun when skiing with rotten knees.

So, divas, who have OA knees, not necessarily old :-) what do you do differently, try not to do anymore ON SLOPES. And off slopes what type of exercises are a no-no, what type of exercises are beneficial to keep the crunchy bone on bone knees working. Let's get the OA knee knowledge base started...

Jilly

Staff member
I had the injection done in one knee. We haven't done the other. I have a off loader brace for pain for the injected knee. I've only had to use it when I've stationary for a long time. Like standing or sitting. As long as I'm moving I'm fine. I will admit it takes longer to get moving in the morning. I don't wear the brace skiing. It's for pain, not support.

I've been doing an exercise class that is geared to OA. No jumps, no low squats, but lots of floor to standing exercises. I find it hard to get up from the floor. Need to roll over on my knees first to get up.

As for skiing.....haven't had to give anything up yet, but maybe length of time on the hill. I'm blaming that on old age, not the OA.

Bluestsky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been doing an exercise class that is geared to OA
Waiting to turn 65 later this year to check for something like that on Silver Snickers program. In the meantime doing my usual aerobics/yoga workout, but some routines make my knees much worse. That's why I thought I check with divas here.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My ski buddy, Bill, had his meniscus removed in high school. So has been bone on bone for a long time. One reason he's skiing more and skiing harder terrain than when I started skiing with him ten years ago is that I convinced him to give semi-private lessons with very experienced Level 3 instructors a try. Took a couple seasons, but he started changing just enough to make better use of the design of his current skis. He was an advanced skier and instructor in high school (1960s) on straight skis in Colorado. This season he did a Taos Ski Week for the second time. He's skiing so much smoother now, even on big bumps, that he's not aggravating his knee like he used to.

I don't know anything about OA. But I do know that strong hamstrings help support knees in general.

Bluestsky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Had my meniscus trimmed long time ago too hence worsening arthritis. The other knee just got it by itself :-)
Yeah, my goal would be smooth, easy on knees skiing. Can't imagine skiing bumps that way. Too late I guess.
Hamstring...will add it to my workout.

Jilly

Staff member
Waiting to turn 65 later this year to check for something like that on Silver Snickers program. In the meantime doing my usual aerobics/yoga workout, but some routines make my knees much worse. That's why I thought I check with divas here.

The class is called "all bad, no bounce" and "360 warrior". We've have a teenager in the class because she wanted to do one on Tuesday. She has just as hard a time as the rest of us old geezers!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Had my meniscus trimmed long time ago too hence worsening arthritis. The other knee just got it by itself :-)
Yeah, my goal would be smooth, easy on knees skiing. Can't imagine skiing bumps that way. Too late I guess.
Hamstring...will add it to my workout.
Never too late! Just a question of whether you want to invest the time and money in working with good instructors and learning how to practice fundamental skills related to tweaking technique to make skiing easier on your knees.

Check out what Bumps for Boomers has to say. They specialize in teaching bump skiing to folks over 50 who want to have more fun skiing when they are in their 60s, 70s, and later. They do NOT teach zipper-line bump skiing. That's just one way to ski bumps. There are plenty of others that make more sense for enjoying ungroomed terrain. Their ski conditioning videos were some of the first sets of exercises I found useful after knee rehab.

Bill was over 60 when he did a lesson with me at Jackson Hole and our other ski buddy, Jason. Jason and I were both over 55. @snoWYmonkey had no trouble working with each of us appropriately. I'd been taking a few lessons with a L3 instructor at my home mountain. Jason learned as a adult but hadn't ever had a lesson as an advanced skier. Bill hadn't had a lesson in 45 years or so. The goal that day was to work on skills related to skiing bumps. The break thru lesson for Bill came the next season at Alta. He and I did a semi-private lesson with a random L3 assigned by the Alta Ski School. Turned out that JW was a perfect fit for what Bill needed and was ready to learn. I tell the story of the first lesson with JW to other older skiers when I'm talking to them in person all the time. For that matter, so does Bill but he's more of a quiet type with strangers. But back then I would never have guessed how much he would appreciate a Taos Ski Week (6 consecutive mornings, same instructor and group, <$250). In Feb 2017, I could see how much smoother he was after just the first two lessons of a Ski Week with DanR. In April 2017, I could tell how much he retained from that Ski Week. He did another Ski Week with the same instructor in Feb 2018.

I mentioned the lesson in the trip report from Jan 2014. However, I didn't really understand how the drills we did would help in bumps until a season or two later. For that matter, the reasons behind a few drills made the most sense this season (Feb 2018) during the Taos Ski Week. Meaning drills I learned years ago. Took notes for that but haven't written it up yet. Couldn't really put much in writing about things I've learned in lessons until 5+ years after having the first lessons with very experienced instructors as part of a Diva Week West in north Tahoe in 2010. Remember, I'm not an instructor. Just an older skier who has benefitted from all the time, effort, and passion that instructors who have been teaching for 20+ years share with their students.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...-jackson-hole-january-2014.17441/#post-251628

Bluestsky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC. That’s great that you have witnessed your friend’s progress.
Slowly I’m getting to a point that i recognize I need lessons...noticed your many posts emphasizing them :-). I’ll check the ones you linked, thanks!

Learned skiing in my 40s, no lessons ever. I don’t count 10 days with ski club at Breck two years ago as lessons. Have had enough skills (I was at level 7 group at Breck) to have fun on all terrain...until now.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC. That’s great that you have witnessed your friend’s progress.
Slowly I’m getting to a point that i recognize I need lessons...noticed your many posts emphasizing them :-). I’ll check the ones you linked, thanks!

Learned skiing in my 40s, no lessons ever. I don’t count 10 days with ski club at Breck two years ago as lessons. Have had enough skills (I was at level 7 group at Breck) to have fun on all terrain...until now.
I learned about the value of lessons reading posts by other Divas, as well as the Diva instructors who stop by now and then. Even so, after the first multi-day clinic back in 2010, I didn't really follow up with more lessons until after my knee injury. I learned to ski as a teen on straight skis long ago. Didn't ski much at all until I got my daughter became an intermediate skier (age 7). Had I known what I've learned in recent years, I would've invested in my own ski technique once it was clear I would continue skiing >10 days a season.

My friend, JF, started at the same time as her kids at our tiny home hill in northern VA. She's taken at least one 90-min group lesson every ski weekend. She only skied 6-7 days each of the holiday weekends for the last few years. Was not really a natural but really liked skiing and was willing to put in the practice time. Bottom line is that she was making very round turns on Alta blues last April after one group (solo) lesson with an experienced L3 instructor. So I've also observed the possible progression from never-ever to intermediate based on investing in lessons.

Jason was a better skier than I was in 2010. I started skiing bumps and trees because he liked them. He learned as an adult. He is about my age (family friend with non-skiing wife) but was much in much better shape for athletic activities than I was back then. But after I started ski conditioning year round and taking lessons, I soon had better technique off-piste. Of course, he's still working so I was also getting in far more mileage on the slopes. My non-skiing husband knows he's going to be taking care of the dog during the winter.

Back to your question about exercises for knees . . .

https://over50skifitness.blogspot.com/2016/06/getting-started-with-knee-strengthening.html

Bluestsky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC enjoyed reading your JH trip reports. Looks like I need to find an instructor with @Snowmonkey’s ability (teach a never a lesson adult) here in CO.
I’ll be skiing on IKON base next season, so will hopefully find someone at Copper.

Knee strengthening vid...nice, thanks! I also tried to find more advanced exercises, but there’s a lot of conflicting do vs don’t advice. For example, pigeon pose that I love to do to stretch the IT band, but is it good or bad for arthritic knees? Opinions differ there too. Well, at least one was consistent - don’t extend your knees beyond toes while squatting!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like I need to find an instructor with @Snowmonkey’s ability (teach a never a lesson adult) here in CO.
I’ll be skiing on IKON base next season, so will hopefully find someone at Copper.
If you start up a thread asking for instructor recommendation at Ikon locations in Colorado, I would think someone will help out. In general, any PSIA Level 3 instructor can help any skier who hasn't had lessons. For starters, if you can go midweek during early season, could try a group lesson. Usually during early season likely to have a solo lesson or only one other student for intermediate and above. Tends to be the more experienced instructors who are working during early and late season.

Right now a 4-pack for lessons is available for Copper. If I'm reading the blurb correctly, 4 full-day lessons for about $400. Can take the lessons any time during the season with some blackout dates.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi, @Bluestsky ...I was diagnosed last summer with patellofemoral arthritis. I am missing a fair amount of cartilage in my right knee. I spent some time in a full leg brace because I was so swollen and could hardly walk. I went to PT, 2x a week for 13 weeks and my recovery has been pretty amazing.

I do my PT exercises every morning, along with some yoga...my exercises are all about strengthening the quads and glutes. The first 2 exercises in the above video are part of my routine, tho I do them laying down. A younger quads has been huge for me!

I was also instructed to avoid squats, which is hard in my gardening business, but I was taught different ways to move.

Another miracle for me has been fish oil...it makes a big difference in pain, inflammation and mobility...I also ice every night.

I was not sure if I could ski this year, but I skied better than ever! I was fortunate enough to be connected with a sports medicine PT, who helped me a lot with my ski stance, too.

I am hopeful that I can continue on this path as the next step is partial knee replacement...

Anyway you can get a PT referral?

Bluestsky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Powgirl Thanks for sharing your story. So glad that it worked out for you and gives me hope that it's not going to be all downhill for me. I've completely forgot about fish oil! Just popped one in!
Have already added knee strengthening exercises that @marzNC mentioned to my workout and keep google for more.
About your PT...do you mind sharing contact info? I'd greatly appreciate it. You're in CO and he/she might be close to me too. PM me if you rather do that.
I've have mentioned on another thread that I had the first (out of 3) lubricant shot on Monday. Fingers crossed it's going to work.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna