• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Okemo regulars?

kentish

Certified Ski Diva
Hi,

is anyone here an Okemo regular? I'm planning on going on Nov 24 (my first time in VT) and I'm hoping conditions will be good enough for a day of skiing. Does anyone have any idea what I should expect from Okemo in terms of open trails?

Thanks!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a definite regular; ski there most weekdays. They've been blowing snow like crazy, but only on the upper mountain. Right now opening day is scheduled for November 17, but skiing should be fairly limited. Hard to say right now what'll be open on the 24th. You might have to download on the lift from the upper mountain to the base. :eek:

Maybe we'll be lucky and a great, big nor'easter will blow through before then with a ton of snow! Keep your fingers crossed!

kentish

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for your insight, Ski Diva! Ok, fingers crossed for some proper snow, I can't wait!!

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not a regular yet, but will be this year with my first weekday pass thanks to S.D., and will probably be there some of Mondays, Tuesdays, and/or Wednesdays. Looking forward to it!:beer: Last year the first part of December saw one & a half runs open off the top, and you had to do a life-threatening download from the top. I still get palpitations when I think of it!!

Tuesday is my mid-week ski day this season, and I'll be up at Okemo on a number of Tuesdays with my Stratton/Okemo mid-week super pass. I plan to ski with some of you Divas and also take some freestyle lessons in the park when there's more snow.

:jumphappy:

kentish

Certified Ski Diva
Forgive my ignorance but what does 'downloading' mean in the context of ski lifts? Thanks!!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry 'bout that. I should have defined the term.

Downloading means taking the lift DOWN from the top. You have to do this early season at Okemo (sometimes) when only the trails on the upper mountain are open, so you can't ski all the way to the bottom. The lift comes around the turn really fast -- remember this isn't the way it's built to be boarded --- so you really have to be on your toes. Plus the chair is higher up than usual, which is a problem for shorties like me. And you have to hold onto your skis during the entire process, since you have to take them off to climb the stairs to get up to the boarding area. So picture this: you're holding your skis, the chair comes around at a really good clip. & you have to raise your body up and scoot on in like a second. A difficult maneuver, and NOT FUN.

Ah, the things we go through for skiing! :rolleyes:

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
A friend called me from the summit at Okemo about an hour ago. They are downloading. He said it wasn't much, but...a ski addiction is a ski addiction, and he just had to do it. And had to gloat that he was skiing and I wasn't! We have been doing this to each other since college (a verrrry long time ago!) and he will get his when I am in Whitefish Montana this winter skiing "the really big"!

abc

Banned
Why they don't do just a little bit of improvement to ease the downloading is somewhat beyond me.

Download via tram or gondola is a very common concept out west, where the mountain is so big the bottom can be brown dirt while the top is still great powder. With a detachable chair, the loading is relatively relaxed. But on fixed grip chairs, it's pretty scary...as detailed by Ski Diva. And she hasn't even mentioned about the part when it's time to get OFF the chair!!! :eek:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Happy to report that there was no downloading at Okemo today. Top to bottom skiing -- not a lot of it, but sure beats taking that #*@! lift down.

kentish

Certified Ski Diva
Woohoo! I went to have my skis 'fitted' yesterday so now I'm all set for Saturday. Can't wait (and glad there was no d/ling yesterday, fingers crossed for Sat!)!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna