• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Off piste and mountain skills course, Chamonix, France 25 Feb - 1 Mar

KathrynC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe a little different from other trip reports. I just spent a week on an off piste and mountain skills course in the Chamonix valley area in France. This course is run by a British outfit called Off Piste Performance, who I had previously taken courses with in Scotland. The week consisted of two days skiing lift-served off-piste with a ski coach, alternating with two days touring with a mountain guide, and finally a day with both the coach and the guide to finish off.

Monday and Wednesday were spent exploring some lift-served off-piste with a ski instructor. Chamonix had had a dump of snow a couple of weeks before the course, followed by almost two weeks of wall to wall sunshine. The area we went to, Grand Montets, is high and gets enough sun to soften the snow in the middle of the day but not enough to turn everything to ice. The snow was firm but grippy and well skied with plenty of bumps. We spent a small amount of time drilling on the piste and then took our drills off the piste, focusing on slow control. No skiing photos from those days, as I was too busy following the instructor, but this group shot shows the lovely weather!

GrandMontets.jpg

Tuesday and Thursday were spent with a guide. On Tuesday, we went to the Le Tour ski area and warmed up on the piste, before traversing round the Tete de Balme and skiing down into Switzerland on beautiful soft snow that had survived the heat. The return provided a nice gentle introduction to skinning for those in the group who hadn't done it before, while we talked about terrain, avalanche hazards and picking lines. A fit team meant that we gained the summit of L'Arolette allowing us a nice off-piste journey back to the resort to finish the day.

LeTour_small.jpg

On Thursday, we made a descent of the Vallee Blanche, which is something I have wanted to do since I started skiing. We drove into Italy and took the Skyway Monte Bianco to Punta Helbronner. This is a wonderful gondola, new in 2014, which rotates 360 degrees through the course of the ascent so that everyone can see the view. From there, we skied a couple of pitches before skinning up to Col d'Entreves, from which you can see wonderful views of both the Italian and French sides of the Alps. The descent is around 12 miles down a glacier of glorious red terrain (which I guess for most of you would be hard blue or easy black diamond!) with a couple of harder sections where everyone is funnelled between a rock wall and an ice fall and has to ski the same line, resulting in some pretty hefty bumps to navigate without ending up in a cravasse. To finish, you have to climb a really long set of stairs to a gondola (depressingly, the climb regularly features signs marking the level of the glacier in years past), which takes you to a railway station where you can catch a cool little rack railway featuring a toothed track to enable the train to go up the hill.

valleeblanche.jpg

The Vallee Blanche trip had been planned for Friday with the guide and the coach, but the weather turned that day, and we were all exhausted anyway, so we went to a small local resort, Combloux, chosen because it is mostly below the tree line for visibility. There we played with some steep icy pistes, some more drilling, a mini tour with stops for transceiver and cravasse rescue drills and some great hot chocolate.

Combloux.jpg

Overall, a fabulous trip. I would highly recommend this course to anyone who happens to be in Europe and wants to extend their off-piste and touring skills!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Wow @KathrynC, thanks for the great report and the beautiful pictures! This course looks amazing, I would love to find something similiar local to me in the US..

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That looks amazing! Is there a way into the Vallee Blanche that skips the descent from the Aiguille de Midi? A friend of mine did it last year - the skiing looked very manageable but that walk down from the top looked hairy (as I'm not great with heights).

KathrynC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That looks amazing! Is there a way into the Vallee Blanche that skips the descent from the Aiguille de Midi? A friend of mine did it last year - the skiing looked very manageable but that walk down from the top looked hairy (as I'm not great with heights).

We took the Monte Bianco Skyway up from Courmayeur on the Italian side to Punta Helbronner and descended from there (skinning up to a col for some nice views on the way). Much friendlier exit from the lift station - just a walk down some steps. Maybe a half hour drive to get there from Chamonix. I don't know how easy it is if you don't have a European passport though - I can just cross the border freely (for now at least :/ ). It isn't the "classic" route, but to be honest the scenery is so stunning that it really doesn't make much difference and you probably get a slightly longer descent. The skiing is indeed very manageable. Most of it is roughly equivalent to a European red run, which would be hard blue or easy black diamond in US terms. There are a couple of short trickier sections which may change as the glacier shifts, but they are short and over quickly. Either take a guide or make sure you are comfortable on glaciers though - there are crevasses to avoid and depending on snow depth the potential to fall into one that you can't see.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's good to know, update to the bucket list then. I've been to Chamonix a couple of times in the summer and loved it, just stunning scenery everywhere.

I'd definitely be going for the guided option - have too much respect for glaciers and too much awareness of my ignorance about them to attempt it otherwise.

KathrynC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's good to know, update to the bucket list then. I've been to Chamonix a couple of times in the summer and loved it, just stunning scenery everywhere.

I'd definitely be going for the guided option - have too much respect for glaciers and too much awareness of my ignorance about them to attempt it otherwise.

Give me a shout if you go - I can recommend some lovely accommodation and a great guide :D

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yep me too .. That's why I opted for the Grand Montets instead of Aguille de midi...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna