• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ode to a Departed Travel Bag

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My wonderful travel duffel bag has at last departed this earth. After 12+ faithful years following along at my heels, she has irreparably lost a wheel (with the help of Delta Airlines baggage handlers). This lovely lady, who was actually born into life as a US Swimming travel bag made by or for "Arena," held not only my ski boots and helmet, but (nearly) everything else I ever needed for a week of skiing. She never complained when I sat on her or strained her zippers. She always stood up straight and proud when I stood her on end. Her extendable handle had two locking lengths to choose from and retracted into a ladylike zippered compartment. She had thick, sturdily sewn handles on 3 sides so I could lift her easily from the baggage carousel no matter where she was tossed. She was a grey lady, so was sometimes hard to pick out in a crowd, but she proudly wore her purple argyle ribbon (she was subtle yet very distinctive). She was tossed, squashed, skidded, rained on, snowed on, and piled on and never complained. I shall miss her dearly.

Now that we have said our goodbyes, I need to find another bag who will keep me company and lighten my travels. I'm looking for recommendations. Eddie Bauer has called to express condolences and offer his 36 inch Expedition Drop Bottom Rolling Duffel, but I haven't called him back yet. Has anyone gone out in Eddie's Expedition?

All info will be appreciated. RIP Grey Lady - you were one in 100 million.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
RIP. Yeah, they only last so long.
My basement has a collection of snowboard bags that are hopelessly beyond help. (My son travels a lot.) Maybe someday they'll get to the landfill.....

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought this last year and have absolutely loved it. It has traveled to three other continents in the past year, and handled everything with aplomb. The wheels and grab handle are awesome, and I love the other little touches as well (three grab handles, metal loadlocker buckles on compression straps, etc). It's pricey but I found a 20% off thing and then bought on active junky for another 10% cash back. I fully expect it to last a dozen years.

at-wheelie-120-atlantic-blue-limestone.jpg

I have also seen and heard great things about Dakine's big roller bags.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I bought this last year and have absolutely loved it. It has traveled to three other continents in the past year, and handled everything with aplomb. The wheels and grab handle are awesome, and I love the other little touches as well (three grab handles, metal loadlocker buckles on compression straps, etc). It's pricey but I found a 20% off thing and then bought on active junky for another 10% cash back. I fully expect it to last a dozen years.

at-wheelie-120-atlantic-blue-limestone.jpg

I have also seen and heard great things about Dakine's big roller bags.
Really nice. My Burton bag is shredded and duct taped. I've had it probably 20 years. Going to Europe next week probably for its last hurrah. It is like the Dakine bags and splits in half like a suitcase. Caveat is it's very heavy.
What is the weight on your bag?

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Really nice. My Burton bag is shredded and duct taped. I've had it probably 20 years. Going to Europe next week probably for its last hurrah. It is like the Dakine bags and splits in half like a suitcase. Caveat is it's very heavy.
What is the weight on your bag?

It's a little more than 9 lb for 120L. I had an old eBags Mother Lode, 29", that was a splitter, and it worked really well, too, but the handle was bent (got run over in the driveway) and it weighed about 14 lb. I could use those extra 4 or 5 lb for luggage, what with the weight restrictions these days. I also like having fewer compartments inside. There is a zipper on the inside of the lid, and a smaller pocket outside, but there is something to be said for opening up your bag and seeing everything at once. I have some compression bags and other sorters that I use so it isn't all a big mess, but I actually prefer the single compartment to the split bottom.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna