• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Obsessing Over Long-Range Forecasts

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It’s that time of year! Three weeks out from our first ski trip of the season and I’ve started to read open terrain and condition reports and long-range weather forecasts. I will not stop doing this or praying to the weather gods until I pack away my gear for the season. I just can’t help myself! Anyone else do this?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes! If it helps, though, most of the sailboat racers in my crowd refer to the NWS types as 'weather guessers'!!

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
most of the sailboat racers in my crowd refer to the NWS types as 'weather guessers'!!

Totally. Weather is a very difficult thing to predict, especially beyond a couple of days. In some want that makes it worse! Will it snow? How much snow will there be? Nobody knows!

QCskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I am always looking at the long range forecasts for Tremblant and if I see unfavourable weather conditions (ex. rain and above zero temperatures) I panic a little even if those conditions are far enough in the future that they might change.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Don't obsess. I interviewed Joel Gratz, chief meteorologist for OpenSnow.com, in September, and here's what he said about how far out we can expect a reasonable weather forecast:

"About 7 to 10 days out we can tell if there might be a storm in the area. About 4 to 6 days out there is some confidence in the timing and strength of the storm. And around 1 to 3 days out is when the predictions for snow amounts usually become more trustworthy."

Here's the whole interview.

Last edited:

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't obsess. I interviewed Joel Gratz, chief meteorologist for OpenSnow.com, in September, and here's what he said about how far out we can expect a reasonable weather forecast:

"About 7 to 10 days out we can tell if there might be a storm in the area. About 4 to 6 days out there is some confidence in the timing and strength of the storm. And around 1 to 3 days out is when the predictions for snow amounts usually become more trustworthy."

Here's the whole interview.

Rationally, I know this is true. Emotionally, skiing is my favorite activity in the whole wide world (which I somehow managed not to do for more years than I care to count) and I just. Cannot. Help. Myself.

Christy

Angel Diva
My husband can't help himself either. He'll come home from work and say, excitedly, "did you see that it snowed X inches at Sun Valley?" Or, "I can't believe they haven't opened runs X and Y yet." DUDE. We won't be there for a month.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna