• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

NY will let ski resorts open at half capacity beginning Nov 6.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Those of you who ski in NY State will find this interesting (BTW, did you know that New York has more ski resorts than any other state?).

The governor says he will allow ski resorts to welcome 50% of their usual capacity when they reopen their doors, while skiers will be required to wear masks and socially distance.

For more, go here.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While not everyone will be happy, I like the idea of straightforward mandated guidelines. A wee bit envious. I keep wishing the local ski areas would let us know how much they are reducing their skier days by compared to normal.

Christy

Angel Diva
Does that mean every New York ski area is going to have to have a reservation system? How are they going to make sure they are only half full?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Does that mean every New York ski area is going to have to have a reservation system? How are they going to make sure they are only half full?

I assume there will be some type of capacity restriction everywhere. So think they’ll use historical data for visitor info and control with day tickets. Resorts who think they will be too full even with season passholders would do reservations, etc.? That’s my guess anyway.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I assume there will be some type of capacity restriction everywhere. So think they’ll use historical data for visitor info and control with day tickets. Resorts who think they will be too full even with season passholders would do reservations, etc.? That’s my guess anyway.
@MissySki I think you are correct about using historical data for determining how to restrict capacity at ski resorts. @marzNC recently shared some articles with me on how there is software that can be used to track historical usage and then use this for capacity restrictions at ski resorts.

Last edited:

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While not everyone will be happy, I like the idea of straightforward mandated guidelines. A wee bit envious. I keep wishing the local ski areas would let us know how much they are reducing their skier days by compared to normal.
I have only skied at a few NYS ski resorts - Whiteface (Olympic Mountain) and Belleayare both are a part of ORDA (Olympic Regional Development Authority) complex so NYS runs them. Both are super empty during the week. I ski Whiteface almost every Thanksgving and Monday/Tuesday after Thanksgiving there are maybe 5-20 total people on the mountain and it's a big mountain even with early season limited terrain.

I skied Belleayre together with @nopoleskier and a few other Divas in January and Friday before President's weekend it was empty pretty much. Though it was very crowded on Saturday and Sunday of President's weekend. So ORDA mountains and other NYS resorts will need some sort of reservations for holiday periods I think.

@nopoleskier skis there a lot more then me, she can chime in.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love Whiteface, so I'm excited. Never made it there last season, but hope to this year.
Me too and Lake Placid is a such a great ski town. Since I can't go to VT this season Whiteface and maybe Belleayre would probably the only NE mountains I ski. Though I think Maine still has the 72 hour negative test exception from quarantine so maybe I can ski at Sunday River or Sugarloaf.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Me too and Lake Placid is a such a great ski town. Since I can't go to VT this season Whiteface and maybe Belleayre would probably the only NE mountains I ski. Though I think Maine still has the 72 hour negative test exception from quarantine so maybe I can ski at Sunday River or Sugarloaf.

Don’t forget Saddleback is also opening again this season. May be well worth it to do a Maine ski safari. If you do, let me know of course! :smile:

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We'll see how it pans out. Gore has always been a ghost town non holiday mid week like Whiteface and Bellayre. I don't think there will be a problem non holiday midweek-

Weekends/holidays I'll be at my home bump Royal Mt. we are putting up big outside tent for more ski shelter/changing area. lots of plexi glass at the food counter etc. The Mt ran moto cross races all summer and did fine abiding by stringent rules of NYS.

We have been good about following guidelines and have no outbreaks 350 total positive all year out of 52,000 in our county. The 26deaths were at the nursing home where they were forced to take in covid positive.

We all want to keep it this way and want to ski- Everyone l I talk to are fine with following guidelines.

Gore Opened last year on Nov 15th, I'm hoping for the same. I can't wait to ski.
My home Mt Open house is Nov 1st 1-4.. if any Area Divas want to check it out come ski Royal Mt Caroga Lake NY.

newboots

Angel Diva
I can get a weekday ORDA pass for $400ish. That would make Belleayre convenient, and the others possible with an overnight stay. @nopoleskier it sounds Like you can ski on weekdays. @Olesya Chornoguz weekdays? Anyone else? I do realize that folks must work for a living! But having already bought two passes (albeit inexpensive ones) this year, I’m being a little frugal.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I work a 9-5 type of schedule so cannot ski weekdays. I would have to take vacation time that is quite limited to ski during the week and usually need to give an advance notice for taking time off since I am managing programs and people that may require immediate attention. Thus I have to plan to take time off. I am hoping to come up for a few non-holiday weekends though.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I can get a weekday ORDA pass for $400ish. That would make Belleayre convenient, and the others possible with an overnight stay. @nopoleskier it sounds Like you can ski on weekdays. @Olesya Chornoguz weekdays? Anyone else? I do realize that folks must work for a living! But having already bought two passes (albeit inexpensive ones) this year, I’m being a little frugal.
From your posts about what terrain you've been skiing lately, I think you would like Belleayre. Although after K'ton, Hunter won't seem that intimidating if you haven't been there before. Hunter is a steep mountain compared to Belle.

Gore is actually a very big place. There are separate areas but can have a good time just lapping one of the chairs for a while. I've only been during early season but liked it better than Whiteface in terms of terrain variety in some ways.

newboots

Angel Diva
I’ve skied Belleayre, and with the encouragement and tips from @nopoleskier I had a great day. At this point I just want to keep skiing; less concerned about the challenges of various trails. I’m going into my fifth year and finally starting to ski with confidence. Thank goodness - it was a long road to get here!

Looks like I’ll have to get a full pass here!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly