• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

numb toes.

Wolfie

Certified Ski Diva
Ok, so here is another question.

My new boots are great for the skiing, but my toes go numb (not cold, I checked!) I've been to the boot fitter twice, but the problem only seems to happen after I've been in them over an hour, especially in line. My calf and leg also get painful.

A little leery about making the trip into the city with high covid numbers just now, plus I don't want to spend my valuable time off NOT on the hill.

Anything that I can do? Will changing the flex help, do you think?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok, so here is another question.

My new boots are great for the skiing, but my toes go numb (not cold, I checked!) I've been to the boot fitter twice, but the problem only seems to happen after I've been in them over an hour, especially in line. ....
You may very well have Morton's Neuroma. It's common-ish in skiers. There's a nerve that gets pinched between two bones in the forefoot, in the ball-of-foot area, and the pinched nerve subsequently develops inflammation. That messes with how the toes feel.

One of the common symptoms is numb and/or tingling toes. When it first started happening to me the numbness came first, then tingling, then it felt like hot magma was flooding through the front end of my boot. The pain was so bad I sat down on the snow and took the boot off for relief. My toes were not cold in the boot either, just like yours. Getting that boot back on was difficult, but when I did the pain disappeared temporarily. It came back until I had it dealt with by a bootfitter.

Bootfitters will often add a little shim under the footbed on the affected foot, right in the middle of the ball-of-foot area. This lifts that part of the foot in the middle. That lift allows the two bones that are pinching the nerve to separate, giving the nerve some relief. Getting the size of the shim right and getting placed exactly where it needs to go sometimes takes some readjustment until it works its magic. I have such shims in my running shoes because summer running sometimes triggers Morton's for me.

If this is what you have, you are ready to deal with it early. Don't wait to find a bootfitter that can address this issue or the inflammation may grow and be more difficult to address adequately. Once the shim is in place, the inflammation will begin to go down and your symptoms should disappear. The sooner you act the better.... if this is what's going on with your toes.

To find a bootfitter who knows how to deal with Morton's, you might search for a ski shop that carries race skis and race equipment. The bootfitter who handles racer's issues will definitely know what to do for Morton's Neuroma.
Morton's Neuroma | Dr. Frank Cobarrubia | NW Foot Care : Northwest Foot Care
Morton's Neuroma - Drwolgin

Best of luck getting this sorted out.

Wolfie

Certified Ski Diva
You may very well have Morton's Neuroma. It's common-ish in skiers. There's a nerve that gets pinched between two bones in the forefoot, in the ball-of-foot area, and the pinched nerve subsequently develops inflammation. That messes with how the toes feel.

One of the common symptoms is numb and/or tingling toes. When it first started happening to me the numbness came first, then tingling, then it felt like hot magma was flooding through the front end of my boot. The pain was so bad I sat down on the snow and took the boot off for relief. My toes were not cold in the boot either, just like yours. Getting that boot back on was difficult, but when I did the pain disappeared temporarily. It came back until I had it dealt with by a bootfitter.

Bootfitters will often add a little shim under the footbed on the affected foot, right in the middle of the ball-of-foot area. This lifts that part of the foot in the middle. That lift allows the two bones that are pinching the nerve to separate, giving the nerve some relief. Getting the size of the shim right and getting placed exactly where it needs to go sometimes takes some readjustment until it works its magic. I have such shims in my running shoes because summer running sometimes triggers Morton's for me.

If this is what you have, you are ready to deal with it early. Don't wait to find a bootfitter that can address this issue or the inflammation may grow and be more difficult to address adequately. Once the shim is in place, the inflammation will begin to go down and your symptoms should disappear. The sooner you act the better.... if this is what's going on with your toes.

To find a bootfitter who knows how to deal with Morton's, you might search for a ski shop that carries race skis and race equipment. The bootfitter who handles racer's issues will definitely know what to do for Morton's Neuroma.
View attachment 17626
Morton's Neuroma - Drwolgin

Best of luck getting this sorted out.
wow. This sounds like exactly my symptoms!!!!! Especially the "hot magma"! Which toes? All? Mine seems to be worse in the big toe, so thinking that the neuroma is between the big toe and the next one. I'm goint to print this off and bring it to the next fitting, thanks!!!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

brooksnow

Angel Diva
My husband has Mortons Neuroma. Not fun. Getting the forefoot width punched out helped a lot.

Another possible reason for toes going numb is pressure over your instep. I had this problem for years, with pain starting with ignorable numbness and increasing to the hot magma stage. It was significantly worse when I was standing on the beginners carpet all day. My feet have gotten more sensitive over time to the point that tight socks cause pain.

Finally I found boots that don't press down on my instep. I had the Dalbello Kyra and now the Dalbello Panterra. These three piece cabrio boots (there are other brands) have a separate tongue instead of two sides overlapping over the instep. They also have a buckle that pulls the ankle diagonally back into the pocket instead of a buckle that presses down directly on the instep.

How are your footbeds? Is your boot cuff so high that it presses on the back of your calf?

Wolfie

Certified Ski Diva
Yes, standing in line or in a lesson seems to aggravate the problem.

I've been thinking a lot about the pain and was wondering about the calf and instep. It seems that the pain is more in the big toe and ball of the foot on that side.

I changed the flex and that seems to have helped the pain that radiates up my leg, through the calf and outer thigh.

What a gong show getting comfy! I feel like the princess and the pea!!!

Jilly

Staff member
You're not and it takes time. No luck so far with my CSIA ladies group. Are there no lady instructors in NS?

Wolfie

Certified Ski Diva
There are, but I don't know them very well.
I haven't had a chance to ask my trusted peeps. There is a guy here that will punch out boots but I think you have to know where the pressure point is.
I think the pressure point is going to be hard to pin down.
Sorry for the delay. I was too busy skiing ..and sleeping off the skiing lol

Scribble

Angel Diva
In my case it was the nerves below and slightly back from my ankle joint. Half of my foot felt like it was on fire, then totally numb. I had to google it to figure out what was going on...looking at pictures, the medial and lateral plantar nerves are more exposed in that area. It ended up being the boot liner, we ripped out a bit of the foam and the problem never returned. Good luck!

newboots

Angel Diva
Morton's neuroma is not near the big toe. It's between #3 and #4 - or two toes up from the pinky. There are other neuromas, but I don't know much about them. Morton's is relatively common.

Mine was diagnosed (by me, first) by a podiatrist. Since yours is not obvious, you might want to try a podiatrist for a clearer diagnosis, before starting to change the boot.

I think an exceptionally talented bootfitter might be able to pinpoint the problem, too.

kasiak29

Diva in Training
I have the exact same problem as you! What worked in the end? The pain in my big toe is enough to make me cry. Have to take tylenol every day I ski and I always lose my toenail through the course of the season

Jilly

Staff member
@kasiak29 , If you're losing a toenail, then that's a boot fit issue. Been there, done that, both big toes. Currently regrowing left one again after a summer accident.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilly1965