• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Not-so-off season running

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I am hoping to be in a climate that is much more... er, wintry, this winter and I have always run through the winter. However, I acknowledge that my midatlantic winters (record snow levels last season notwithstanding) are not exactly what I may expect in a ski town.

I am particularly concerned about footing on snowy/icy roads and paths. My local running store had some stabilicers and I wonder if anyone out there uses them or any products like them for winter road running. I refuse to be stuck on a treadmill (not to mention might not have access) all winter, and don't mind running in icky conditions if I have the appropriate gear.

K.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I am hoping to be in a climate that is much more... er, wintry, this winter and I have always run through the winter. However, I acknowledge that my midatlantic winters (record snow levels last season notwithstanding) are not exactly what I may expect in a ski town.

I am particularly concerned about footing on snowy/icy roads and paths. My local running store had some stabilicers and I wonder if anyone out there uses them or any products like them for winter road running. I refuse to be stuck on a treadmill (not to mention might not have access) all winter, and don't mind running in icky conditions if I have the appropriate gear.

K.

I will have the same question soon ... I've just started the couch to 5k program. I would imagine Yak Trax would work?

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have Yak Trax as do many of the other year-round runners I know. To be completely honest, I've never had to use them since the front range is generally snow free most of the winter and I tend to wuss out when we do have snow, but I would guess you'll need them for your ski bum winter. I'm sure the stablicers your local store has would be fine too.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried them on over my shoes and they surprisingly don't feel too bulky, even though they felt heavier in my hand than I expected. The stretchy rubber seems fairly durable, but I didn't get a chance to compare them really with any other similar products (yaktrax etc.) as these were the only products they carried. The Stabilicers have some small metal spikes on the bottom, and it seems the yaktrax do not, and the yaktrax website is touting this as an advantage. I wonder if the spikes will be annoying when running (too catchy?). I will poke around on some running websites to see what info they have.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Kimmy, are you going to be in Boulder or up in the mountains? I'm with Shannon as I own Yak Trax but have only used them once for running. One of the really nice things about the Front Range is that things do melt off here so even in the dead of winter I can run outside most of the time. My only hard and fast rule is no running in the dark when it's icy. I do know that some people will take an older pair running shoes and put small screws through from the inside (under the insole) rather than have the things like Stabilicers or Yak Trax for those days when it's really icy. Also, you'll want to shorten up your stride and let go of pace goals when it's snowy/icy.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have both stabilicers and yaktrax and I much prefer the yaktrax. I actually did spend a good bit of time in my yaktrax last winter since I was marathon training and HAD to get the runs in, with some of them way too long to deal with treadmill running. Things really do melt off pretty quickly, but they're useful to have. The nice thing about the yaktrax is that they're not as disruptive to run on if you hit an area that's NOT snow-covered because they don't have the little cleats. I actually ran 20 miles in them in 4 inches of fresh snow last December. I'm not saying it was FUN, but I did it. :becky:

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the info. I think I will be in Breckenridge, otherwise I would probably be ok with my regular shoes or trail shoes which have a bit more grip than my road shoes. I will hold off on the stabilicers since itri has a good point about the cleat things.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use stablizers. I have friends who screw stubbies into older shoes using a drill. The stabilizers are great and I've run several short runs at night with these and a headlamp when it's dark.

The risk of a fall on an icy or snowy trail for this old lady makes the gripping properties outweigh the hassle of dry spots. I can pop my stabilizers off and put them in my pocket and pop them back on as needed.

Winter running is awesome, I prefer winter running over summer runs. Fall running is the best however. Fall was made for runners. Enjoy.:D

Bing

Angel Diva
I've used yak trax for the past 11 years & love them. Only "problem" is that when you are running in areas that are part clear, part snow/ice - if you are not on snow or ice for a while, your knees can get sore.

Don't forget to layer up - I run in -25 celcius with two pairs of winter grade run tights on, short shirt, long shirt, run jacket, running touque and ski cowl to breathe through - that is key to being able to run, having your air warm up.

enjoy !!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna