• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Northern Wisconsin: Granite Peak and Whitecap Mountains

Amie H

Angel Diva
I would like to do a trip to Lutsen next year.
I'm looking forward to @Iwannaski 's Lutsen Spring Break ski trip report. Although not sure what else can be said after @shadoj gave us so much detail! :smile:

I've noted it elsewhere but IMO, Lutsen, the UP/N WI spots are best w a group to share lodging costs because the single hotel room choices are slim and/or still expensive for what you're getting.

I'd volunteer to do research and put together a spreadsheet with lodging and lift tix options/pricing if some folks from this forum want to consider specific dates to meet up somewhere "Up North" for the 22-23 season? And location (UP or Lutsen?)

Maybe I should start a new thread?

Last edited:

shadoj

Angel Diva
I'm looking forward to @Iwannaski 's Lutsen Spring Break ski trip report. Although not sure what else can be said after @shadoj gave us so much detail! :smile:

I've noted it elsewhere but IMO, Lutsen, the UP/N WI spots are best w a group to share lodging costs because the single hotel room choices are slim and/or still expensive for what you're getting.

I'd volunteer to do research and put together a spreadsheet with lodging and lift tix options/pricing if some folks from this forum want to consider specific dates to meet up somewhere "Up North" for the 22-23 season? And location (UP or Lutsen?)

Maybe I should start a new thread?

@Amie H - I'd be very grateful for a lodging/price comparison spreadsheet. I'm a numbers girl!

Willing to share lodging to cut costs; I do have some severe food allergies & fragrance sensitivities which can restrict roommate choices. Willing to help with some adapted cooking if that's a non-issue for other ladies.

My usual favorite week for Lutsen is the last week of February, but I believe @ski diva has tentatively chosen that for Diva West (no conflict for me; might get out to Diva East, though). Probably want to avoid President's Day weekend. If it's a good snow year and there are other tree skiers who need buddies, Lutsen would be my preference.

If the group mainly wants empty, soft groomers and lake-effect powder, then a midweek UP trip should be a blast. Again, February seems to be a sweet spot for base cover, fresh snow, and more moderate temperatures.

Looking forward to 2023, plus @Iwannaski's upcoming report!

Bookworm

Angel Diva
@Amie H - I'd be very grateful for a lodging/price comparison spreadsheet. I'm a numbers girl!

Willing to share lodging to cut costs; I do have some severe food allergies & fragrance sensitivities which can restrict roommate choices. Willing to help with some adapted cooking if that's a non-issue for other ladies.

My usual favorite week for Lutsen is the last week of February, but I believe @ski diva has tentatively chosen that for Diva West (no conflict for me; might get out to Diva East, though). Probably want to avoid President's Day weekend. If it's a good snow year and there are other tree skiers who need buddies, Lutsen would be my preference.

If the group mainly wants empty, soft groomers and lake-effect powder, then a midweek UP trip should be a blast. Again, February seems to be a sweet spot for base cover, fresh snow, and more moderate temperatures.

Looking forward to 2023, plus @Iwannaski's upcoming report!
I'd be up for that. I wouldn't mind the week before Prez weekend and I'd be more interested in Lutsen.
I'm good with sharing rooms/costs. Maybe start a Meet on the Hill thread?

Amie H

Angel Diva
I'd be up for that. I wouldn't mind the week before Prez weekend and I'd be more interested in Lutsen.
I'm good with sharing rooms/costs. Maybe start a Meet on the Hill thread?
Ok, I'll do some homework and will start a thread once I get data to share

Amie H

Angel Diva
I'm guessing the insurance settlement for their lodge fire finally came through. (OR an angel investor showed up.)Very good news. If I can stay on site that would be cool(as long as he's not charging $299+/night )

I didn't see anything about lift upgrades...

Amie H

Angel Diva
I'm guessing the insurance settlement for their lodge fire finally came through. (OR an angel investor showed up.)Very good news. If I can stay on site that would be cool(as long as he's not charging $299+/night )

I didn't see anything about lift upgrades...
Well, I guess improving (creating!) a beginner area is technically a lift upgrade, even if it's a surface lift. They need one!

Amie H

Angel Diva
The next morning, I drove North on route 51 to Whitecap Mountains Resort. I was able to check in to my motel early, changed, and then arrived at the resort at 11:45, so I bought a half-day ticket for $50 plus a ticket for the next day.
I knew from a friend a bit about Whitecap: outdated facilities but great terrain and snow. The resort is in the Lake Superior "snow belt" and they got about a foot of fresh snow earlier in the week. One other huge plus is a distinct lack of crowds. When I drove in Saturday morning, I parked in the first row of the lot! I skied right on to every lift. Staff were friendly. The snow was PERFECT: dry, squeaky, super-forgiving, and plenty of it. I brought my older Rossignol Temptation 84s and though I used to not like them that much, they skied GREAT. Maybe, though, it wasn't the snow as much as I've just gotten to be a better skier with so many ski days this year...
Anyway, there are some clear pros and cons of this resort.
Cons:
- Lodging takes some effort to find (onsite resort lodge still in need of renovation, and is expensive)
- Chairs are older, all fixed grip, 2 with hard plastic seats, 1 with wooden slats (like a park bench!) NONE have safety bars (that may be a non-starter for some folks.) Not the slowest I've ever ridden, though.
- Not for newbies: NO magic carpet. Greens are mostly gentle, but run to get back to base is a tad steep for a true beginner, IMO.
- Long drive to get there. Can fly into Ironwood, MI but ground transportation limited/nonexistent. Only 2 hour drive from Duluth, though.
- Limited facilities at resort. Main lodge has indoor restrooms, otherwise on the mountain, there are porta-potties up top and at some of the lifts. (kind of a good idea, tbh.)
- Cannot wear backpacks on lifts - they are too shallow and no bars. Stow snacks/other stuff in pockets.
- Trails not well-marked. Really could use more signage. Although once I skied a few trails, I got oriented pretty quickly

Pros:
- THE SNOW IS AMAZING. Nice grooming on most trails, but some left ungroomed for those who like powder (see my video clip below!) Also loads of fresh powder in trees and just off the trails. Entire mountain is skied, not just frontside.
- Affordable lift tickets
- NO CROWDS
- Variety of terrain - great for snowboarding or skiing. Truly has challenging terrain for experts/adrenaline seekers (moguls on a cliff face, anyone?) but fun, long blues and greens, almost all meandering through the woods or otherwise twisting and turning at some point. The longest runs I've ever skied in the Midwest, outside of maybe Lutsen.
- The Wine Hut : a charming, cozy cabin that serves light snacks, hot beverages (hot mulled wine, hot cider, hot chocolate) and cold ones (full bar, pop.) Wood stove keeping it nice and toasty in there. Super-cute.
-On a clear day, you can see Lake Superior from the top of the lifts. Pretty views on the South side of the mountain too.
- Nice people, VERY unpretentious. Also, loads of people skiing on 1990's equipment. I spied so many pairs of skinny old planks and rear-entry boots, I wondered if the Divas would be shocked by it? Heck, Maybe next time, I'll take my old set up there for a few runs.
BUMPING this thread bc Jonathan Buckhouse posted a Whitecap Mountains video yesterday on his YT. He and his crew seemed to really like the place,, and especially the snow.. Now it's gonna start getting crowded! So maybe plan your Up North visit while the getting is good!

Amie H

Angel Diva
Revisiting this thread because I'm debating heading to Whitecap Mountains in 2 weeks, leaving at noon Friday March 3rd, driving home the 5th.

Considering 3 options based on weather AND lodging options available:

1) Leave work noon on Friday March 3rd. Dive 6 hours to Whitecap, landing around 8:00PM. Check into lodge onsite. (They have a dumb 2-night minimum stay requirement which really complicates things.) Ski all day Saturday, morning Sunday. Then either abbreviate my morning ski so I can get back shower, change before checking out and drive 6 hours home or...? change in the bathroom? I don't want to be driving in the dark on country roads Sunday (I'm ok driving at night on 90E, once I get near Madison.) I love that place, but thinking of driving 6 hours each way makes me feel a tad queasy!

2) Friday drive to Wausau (4 hour drive) and night ski at Granite Peak (only $29.99 ticket) BUT lodging usually not inexpensive. Drive 2 hours North to Whitecap in the morning. Ski all day then...head somewhere South to stay overnight?

3) Skip going too far North (if driving is dodgy) and just doing a weekend in the Dells area (night ski Cascade, XC at Mirror Lake, Sunday at Devil's Head.)

After typing all that out, #3 sounds easy, w least time and $ investment, but I know the skiing experience is best in option #1.

Hmm...

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
What do you change into to drive? I drive in my leggings and snow boots. LOL.

I‘m trying ot find a down skirt that doesn’t hurt my self-image.
I would say the plans are COMPLETELY dependent on the weather. d

Amie H

Angel Diva
I drive in my gear and snow boots plus a beanie or cap for helmet hair if it's just an hour or two, but 6 hours...I'd want to change out of sweaty underwear and put on sweats for the road. (Because I wear insulated knickers under my ski pants, I just leave the other pants on, lest I look like a dude from a Ricola commercial in knickers and tall socks!

Yes, I think weather might drive the bus in this scenario.

shadoj

Angel Diva
@Amie H -- just had 3 patrol friends get back from Whitecap. They loved the skiing part, but are super-concerned about the safety of the area. Old lifts seemed poorly-maintained (rusty chair hangers, etc.), there were areas of the hill that weren't roped off that led to closed chairlifts, and only ONE *guest* patroller on duty to cover the entire area. Not very confidence-inspiring! Really hope they get their act together and put some capital investment towards fixing these liability issues.

Anyway, have fun skiing wherever you decide... Snow refreshment starting now; I'll send some your way!

Amie H

Angel Diva
Oh there is no doubt those lifts have seen better days. It really does need a whole lot of infrastructure and staff investment. TBH, my biggest concern on the lifts there last season was that my ample tuchas would crack the aged wood slats and I'd sink through the middle.

What were your/your crew's thoughts on Powderhorn in terms of infrastructure? I could also do that.

shadoj

Angel Diva
I felt pretty safe at Big Powderhorn last year, despite the older lifts.

Reports from this year are: Still well-maintained chairlifts. All are center-pole Riblets, no safety bar, highish lift towers. Chair 5 moves *fast*, and thus ends up stopping a lot. Patrol staff is still thin but dedicated. One of my friends volunteer guest patrolled at Big Powderhorn for a second year in a row; wouldn't even consider it for Whitecap based on the current state. So much lost potential...

Black River Lodge is a decent, safe place to stay (owners are characters!) 3mi away; Big Powderhorn has rentable ski in/out cabins along a gentle green run, too.

Amie H

Angel Diva
One of my friends volunteer guest patrolled at Big Powderhorn for a second year in a row; wouldn't even consider it for Whitecap based on the current state. So much lost potential...
I'd say in fairness to the current owner, it's less a matter of negligence and more one of very, very limited operating capital. I'm aware of 1 capital raising campaign tried w no success. Full disclosure, I was involved in that round of investment for a small amount, but received my $ back after not enough was raised to continue the campaign (sort of like a Kickstarter.)

Over the summer, the priority was rebuilding the lodge that burned down (there have been issues recouping the full insurance payment. ) And refurbishing at least a section of the woefully dated and worn out guest rooms. The sacrifice made was in revenue from golf, as they closed the course during construction last season.

There was a surface lift planned to be installed before season start but that did not happen (although I believe the actual lift has been purchased.)

What Whitecap needs is money and, I think, a large investor group AND the management & marketing resources of such a group. But he wants to try to realize his vision and avoid being "taken over" as too many small hills across the US have once "the money" gets involved. It's a Catch-22.

All that said...yes, safety is critical. An accident sets things back even further.

shadoj

Angel Diva
Yeah, I realize the current owner is quite new, and has taken on several challenges in running a ski area. Lots of things to turn around, all without a large metropolitan base to help support the rebuild.

I still would love to ski it someday; again, not if I'm worried about my safety outside of the usual ski risks. But, without skiers, how are they gonna justify their investment in equipment/staffing upgrades? What's gonna be the "unique" draw for them in the Midwest, from a marketing standpoint?

Amie H

Angel Diva
One of my friends volunteer guest patrolled at Big Powderhorn for a second year in a row; wouldn't even consider it for Whitecap based on the current state. So much lost potential...
I'd say in fairness to the current owner, it's less a matter of negligence and more one of very, very limited operating capital. I'm aware of 1 capital raising campaign tried w no success. Full disclosure, I was involved in that round of investment for a small amount, but received my $ back after not enough was raised to continue the campaign (sort of like a Kickstarter.)

Over the summer, the priority was rebuilding the lodge that burned down (there have been issues recouping the full insurance payment. ) And refurbishing at least a section of the woefully dated and worn out guest rooms. The sacrifice made was in revenue from golf, as they closed the course during construction last season.

There was a surface lift planned to be installed before season start but that did not happen (although I believe the actual lift has been purchased.)

What Whitecap needs is money and, I think, a large investor group AND the management & marketing resources of such a group. But he wants to try to realize his vision and avoid being "taken over" as too many small hills across the US have once "the money" gets involved. It's a Catch-22. Or...is the owner

All that said...yes, safety is critical. An accident sets things back even further.
What's gonna be the "unique" draw for them in the Midwest, from a marketing standpoint?
The pull from a major metro is a relatively easy one to resolve. There is daily direct jet service to Goegebic Iron County Airport (20 min from Whitecap) from O'hare BUT **no** ground transportation or realistic rental car options. At some point, they had a relationship w Denver Air Connection bc they advertised the flights on their website. That reliable, fast, and inexpensive transportation is worth its weight in gold and no one up there seems to be willing to capitalize on it.
If I had the $, I'd start a side business: a skier shuttle service to/from Goegebic Airport taking travelers to pre-booked locations: Powderhorn, Big Snow, Whitecap, and the major condo complexes at all of these.
Vail resorts bought a portion of a shuttle co in CO and now runs their EPIC Express vans out of DEN and EGE for skiers to get to their resorts after getting off the plane. Its easy to book the shuttle when booking lodging.

You make it seamless to get there, advertise in Chicago media, you have a huge pool of not only skiers, but potential real estate investors, as well. (Condos, etc.)

Amie H

Angel Diva
A few updates on intel I got today:

Whitecap had an electrical transformer blow in the afternoon the other day. People were stuck on lifts for hour(s). No one hurt. Evacuated via auxiliary power. Power restored at 7:45PM. OOF. Now I'm leaning more and more toward another weekend in the Dells, or fly somewhere...

Denver Air Connection flies direct to Ironwood Gogebic (IWD) from both ORD AND MSP! And yet...there is NO ground transportation except for a very sketchy used car lot that rents cars (Red's) that has horrible reviews and very limited sized "fleet." I mean there *might* be Uber/rideshare or a handful of local cabs?
My project in retirement (hopefully in 18-24 mo) will be looking into this further as a personal project (I'm a former urban planner, I love this kinda stuff.)

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I really enjoy these Midwest trip reports, having spent many years skiing there. It’s been 22 years since I moved to northwestern Maine, so this is all very interesting. Some of the resorts have different names (Granite Peak was Rib Mt). I was sad to read of the disrepair of fun places like Whitecap. Sounds like it hasn’t changed much since I was last there (1992!!).

Some of the Midwest places I’ve skied no longer exist! (Telemark, Majestic, Olympia??)

And I’ve got a few you either haven’t visited or mentioned: Mt LaCrosse, Grand Geneva, Ski Sundown (IA), Chestnut (IL), Porcupine Mts, MI (this place is great > get there - but if you do, remember it is on eastern time, unlike most of the other UP resorts). I *think* there was even one near Oconomowoc, Olympia?? (Skied it once.)

Mt Bohemia didn’t get its start until after I moved east, and I have heard fantastic things. Hope someone gets up there sometime and posts a report!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly