• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

North America's Best Ski Mountains at 1,000 vert or less

SkiBam

Angel Diva
For a nice small hill in the Laurentians, I would recommend Mont Olympia. Less than an hour from Montreal, it (to me) has more variety than nearby St. Sauveur (the latter has more runs but they all seem the same). Some good steeps, some glades, some cruisers. Only problem (again, to me) is some lifts and terrain (that nice steep stuff) doesn't seem to be open during the week (which is when I ski). I think it's a 200-metre vertical - about 650 feet. Actually its name is now Sommet Olympia since the rebranding of the St. Sauveur area hills. If you're staying in the area, I think it's worth a visit.

Mont Blanc was mentioned. It's OK but for my money if I've driven that far I'll go the extra half hour to Tremblant.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For a nice small hill in the Laurentians, I would recommend Mont Olympia. Less than an hour from Montreal, it (to me) has more variety than nearby St. Sauveur (the latter has more runs but they all seem the same). Some good steeps, some glades, some cruisers. Only problem (again, to me) is some lifts and terrain (that nice steep stuff) doesn't seem to be open during the week (which is when I ski). I think it's a 200-metre vertical - about 650 feet. Actually its name is now Sommet Olympia since the rebranding of the St. Sauveur area hills. If you're staying in the area, I think it's worth a visit.
How late in the spring does Olympia usually stay open? Does it make it to late March? Have to admit the idea of skiing in Québec in Jan-Feb is not high on my travel list due to the normal frigid temps. My friend's daughter started at North Country School, so I once again have a reason to make the drive to Lake Placid.

From what I experienced at St. Sauveur that time I visited you, reminded me of mid-Atlantic hills that are off a ridge. So all the runs are the same length and about the same pitch. The lights were nice though for a little night skiing.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
How late in the spring does Olympia usually stay open? Does it make it to late March? Have to admit the idea of skiing in Québec in Jan-Feb is not high on my travel list due to the normal frigid temps. My friend's daughter started at North Country School, so I once again have a reason to make the drive to Lake Placid.

From what I experienced at St. Sauveur that time I visited you, reminded me of mid-Atlantic hills that are off a ridge. So all the runs are the same length and about the same pitch. The lights were nice though for a little night skiing.

Olympia usually stays open well into March or maybe even later. Problem is it, plus Morin-Heights and Mont Gabriel are all owned by the company that owns Mont St. Sauveur and they tend to keep the latter open (like til Mothers day or so) while the others close earlier and might not open weekdays late season (if crowds are low). It all depends. Pass-holders of the others can ski at SS.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I guess Black Mountain of Rumford, ME, exceeds this max at -+1200 vertical. It's where I will be spending the majority of my 20-21 ski season - just easier to get around: parking lot, base - and closer for me.

Mt Abram in Greenwood, ME, may fit the <1000 ft vertical? (unsure, might be a bit more) Great, fun place.

I am "excusing" myself from large resorts next season. Too many...risks...<sigh>

Tvan

Angel Diva
Elk was fun and was also my first Diva meet up. I disagree with Catamount, however. There are a couple fun runs and a very dangerous black that people dive bomb down, right into a congested area. The last time we were there it was crowded, and several of the choice runs had been converted into terrain parks. We were done in two hours, which was about the time it took to drive there. I’d choose Butternut or Belleayer over Catamount any day. Both of those alternatives have Fun runs, scenic chair rides, and a sweet old timey feeling.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Timberline in Davis, WV in under new ownership that has spent $10 million to replace two lifts and completely renovated and expanded the lodge. The lift to the summit is a high-speed detachable 6-pack. There is just about 1000 vertical with a lot of terrain variety for green, blue, and legitimately black trails. Hopefully will deserve a shot at the Top Ten in the future.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna