• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Norfolk Island

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So last year our NZ trip was cancelled and we had credits with the travel agent, so we decided to go to Norfolk Island which is a 8 x 5 km speck in the pacific about halfway to NZ and up a bit from New Caledonia. We used to have a neighbour who came from the Island and had built the bar in the bowls club. After he died we always swore one day we'd get over there and have a drink in his honour at his bar.

Anyway, quick history lesson - settled initially by Polynesians who abandoned it after a bit. Rediscovered by Captain Cook, fast forward a bit and it became a penal colony for the convicts that Australia really, really didn't want. The island was largely abandoned by 1853. Come the Mutiny on the Bounty (there's a couple of films been made); the mutineers ended up on Pitcairn Island - which is even smaller - and many of their descendants were relocated to Norfolk Island in 1856 and to this day the phone book is full of Christians, Nobbs, Adams etc as the direct relatives of those mutineers.

It's an awesome place - amazing landscapes, wonderfully friendly people who don't have six fingers at all. Super safe - didn't bother locking doors and kept forgetting to take camera gear out of car but didn't worry me once. And it's still 1953 over there - there is for the most part no internet; you have to buy an island pass and stand in the middle of the road to get reception; I think they only have a 2G network so most smart phones won't work. There are no fences around fields so cows wander up and down the streets and when you're in a car everyone waves at you and you have to wave back. No streetlights either.

Initially the kids were traumatised about having to be parted from their iPads but after a couple of days they discovered that there's an outside and it can actually be a fun place. Because they don't feel the cold we'd spend each afternoon down at the swimming beach at Emily Bay (where the majority of the convict ruins are) and just got away from modern life.

Anyway. I had a 14-stop ND filter with me so basically did nothing but long exposures. I also hate blue skies so have stolen a couple of the husband's photos to show it's not all gloomy there.

If you've got the chance, go. It's a different lifestyle that we don't get to experience much these days.

Attachments

• norfolk hubby1.jpg
    norfolk hubby1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 19
  • norfolk hubby2.jpg
    norfolk hubby2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 19
  • norfolknew1.jpg
    norfolknew1.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 22
  • norfolknew2.jpg
    norfolknew2.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 21
  • norfolknew3.jpg
    norfolknew3.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 21
  • norfolknew4.jpg
    norfolknew4.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 21

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It looks like a very cool place, and what gorgeous photos! Reminding me that I need to pick up some ND filters myself, haha. The water looks so ethereal with the long exposures. And I love the colours and tones on the boat photo especially.

Thank you for sharing :smile:

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It looks like a very cool place, and what gorgeous photos! Reminding me that I need to pick up some ND filters myself, haha. The water looks so ethereal with the long exposures. And I love the colours and tones on the boat photo especially.

Thank you for sharing :smile:

Thank you. I have a secret workflow that gives a particular tone. There's an odd magenta in the sky which in an artifact of saving, that's not in the original but I can't be bothered getting rid of it.

That filter is Haida - Canon Collective occasionally have specials where they are 20% off. It's the only brand that I've seen do glass for the price. Normally I use Formatt Hytech resins but the exchange rate is not favorable for them right now.

You can get direct flights from NZ too.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I have a friend who lives on Norfolk Island. His ancestors came from there and he is documenting the history of the island so it is not lost as the elders pass.

I've always wanted to spend some time there.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a friend who lives on Norfolk Island. His ancestors came from there and he is documenting the history of the island so it is not lost as the elders pass.

I've always wanted to spend some time there.

You definitely should! There is a huge pride in the heritage of the island and the preservation of the pidgin (creole) language. Is your friend planning on publishing? I'd be very interested to read what he finds out as it's a fascinating place.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had to look it up. I guess I have a thing for out of the way places, because I'd love to go.
It's very easy to miss only being 8 x 5 km; in fact the live aeroplane tracker I was watching our progress on showed we had overshot the island and were 40km away. Thankfully turned out to be a programming glitch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly