• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Nordica Victory, Lotta Luv, Missdemeanor or Tierra?

nanelle

Certified Ski Diva
If you've followed my saga from earlier threads, you know I'm about to buy another bargain-bin ski!

Me: 5 ft 0, 125 lbs. Advanced skier, all-mountain skiier in tahoe. I think I like a heavier, damper ski. I have K2 Missbehaveds which I love for powder and fluffy days, but I'm looking for an all-mountain, carving-positive ski for under $200. Yay, eBay! I know - demo, demo. except I'm looking for gear so cheap, and I can resell used... so I'm going in blind. I like a ski which I can drive hard and fast, but which doesn't try to pick the pace for me. I could use more confidence inspiring, less independent ski, but one which I can take anywhere and ski hard with.

Nordica victory - 119/74/104, 2008 in a 146 cm.
K2 Lotta luv - 119/78/105 in a 149 cm. My partner has these and does love them.
K2 Missdemeanor - 113/80/104 in a 154. I love the missbehaveds, but are these too long/not good enough at the hardpack/ice?
Volkl Tierra - 129-78-99 in a 147 cm. I'm worried I will find these too stiff and/or too sensitive, but people love them...
Rossignol Bandit SC74 - i love Bandit B1ws, so maybe I'd like these just as much?

Jenny

Angel Diva
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9216

I've been on the Lotta Luv and the Victory and ended up choosing the Victory. Haven't regretted it a bit.

The above link is to my demo review thread - the second demo day, where I actually got on the Victory and then had to choose. The specifics about the day I first tried the Lottas are in another thread from maybe a couple of weeks earlier.

nanelle

Certified Ski Diva
I'm getting really excited about the Victory - I like the idea of a smooth, powerhouse, cadillac ski. I'm worried it'll feel too race-like... like I said, I like to be able to choose whether to power fast and furious, or take it a bit easier (I don't want my ski to make that call for me). Any thoughts on that?

Jenny

Angel Diva
Yep - sometimes I want to ski harder and other times I just want to relax and not have to pay too much attention to what the skis are doing every single minute. These are fine for that. (And believe me, race-like is the last thing I'd want in my skis, too.)

I've never felt like this pair of skis is in charge of me. They give me confidence in the cruddy conditions and allow me to stretch myself a little bit, but when I choose to, not when they do.

livstew

Certified Ski Diva
the tierras will be the powerhouse of the bunch... they will also be the fastest and launch you out of turns good...

i was never a fan of k2's... i know there are lots of people out there who like them, but i've always found them too noodle-y and wonky in crud...

the good compromise imho would be the nordicas... they aren't as stiff as the volkls, but will still hold VERY well on hard terrain and be more stable than the others as well...

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just curious as to why you're not looking at skis more consistently in the 150 length? I'm 25+ lbs lighter and have the Victory in 146. Just food for thought. You know, to complicate things. :smile:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was thinking the same thing....every one of the skis you listed are likely too short for you.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
You could also seek out the Nordica Conquer. It's a little wider than the Victory, but definitely (IMHO) meets your criteria.

I have the blue ones which you'll see currently on Ebay for $199, but unfortunately not in your size.

And I have to ask the same question - do you really want a ski in the 140's? Seem like the mid 150's might give you more stability and edge.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just to play devil's advocate... I'm about the OP's height and actually close to 20lbs heavier (shhhh...) and I demoed some skis in the upper 150s/160 range and found them to be far too long for me. My new Opals are 152s and are plenty long enough. Longer isn't always better, especially if you're talking traditional-camber frontside carvers.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just to play devil's advocate... I'm about the OP's height and actually close to 20lbs heavier (shhhh...) and I demoed some skis in the upper 150s/160 range and found them to be far too long for me. My new Opals are 152s and are plenty long enough. Longer isn't always better, especially if you're talking traditional-camber frontside carvers.

True. I can only speak to the Victory, and I know that the 2008 model comes in 154, which seems – on paper alone – to be a better match than the 146 for the OP.

Also, as far as skiing Tahoe goes, I have skied the Victory (2006 model) in Tahoe. It's sort of the narrowest that I would go out there. I feel that in Tahoe perhaps a mid-80s width is a better call.

Ah, nanelle, this is what you get for tossing your question out to the peanut gallery! More questions!

nanelle

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the thoughts, all!

* I think I'm leading towards getting the nordica victories - I can't go wrong with what seems to be a well-regarded ski for under $200, including shipping, and with the bases in good repair. I think if I hate them, I'll turn them around asap and probably get the lotta luvs.

* I'd be really undecided between the Victory and the Conquer, except for the fact that I have my 159 cm Missbehaveds, which I really love on anything from soft to powder. Unlike my partner's Kikus, the missbehaveds are really fantastic as an all-mountain ski, even on the softer groomed runs, and then they are totally capable in actual fresh stuff. What I need is something to get me through the "bomb down the groomers, there's not much new snow" periods, and which won't totally eject me if we wander into crud and mixed conditions. I think the Victories should do that ok...? Plus, and this is key... there aren't any Conquers available in my size, in my price range. Case closed. :smile:

* in terms of size, I'm maybe one of the rare people online who overestimated their weight. I just weighed myself in at 119 lbs. I fluctuate between 115 and 125 - and no matter what, I'm really pretty small. Plus, on an unrockered ski, I like them shorter... so I think I'll be most happy on the 146, for frontside purposes. And like I said, my Missbehaveds are 159 (but rockered) so I feel like I have the powder float under control.

Soo, what say you all? Should I just do it? I sort of think so!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I second Jenny re: speed. I got the Nordica Infinite (replacement for Victory) and one of the things I like best is that I control the speed.

Some skis I demo'd, it felt as if I couldn't dial back the speed. The Infinites allow me to be lazy or playful and just loll around, or go vickie-blasting down the hill (which, in reality, is probably 1 mph faster than lolling!)

What I'm hearing is ... you won't regret the purchase if they're not perfect for you and you might regret it if you don't try them = Buy 'Em

Jenny

Angel Diva
I second Jenny re: speed. I got the Nordica Infinite (replacement for Victory) and one of the things I like best is that I control the speed.

Some skis I demo'd, it felt as if I couldn't dial back the speed. The Infinites allow me to be lazy or playful and just loll around, or go vickie-blasting down the hill (which, in reality, is probably 1 mph faster than lolling!)

What I'm hearing is ... you won't regret the purchase if they're not perfect for you and you might regret it if you don't try them = Buy 'Em

vickie-blasting - LOVE the definition. That's pretty much exactly how I feel when I'm really letting it rip (by my standards). In my head I'm awesomely fast; in reality it probably looks like it's in slo-mo.

nanelle - obviously I think you'll be fine with them. And, like you said, you can always sell them if not.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Make sure you let us know what you think after you actually ski them! I rarely chip in on these types of questions because I really don't think I know enough but you at least hit two skis that I've tried, so it seemed like I had something to offer this time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly