• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Nordica Santa Ana

elemmac

Angel Diva
Who is it for? Skiers who want a strong yet playful one-ski quiver

SnowHot hit the nail on the head with this description. I took out my new Santa Ana's this weekend at Sunday River, I came on here to write out a review, and realized that this sentence sums up exactly what I would say about the ski.

Ski reviewed: Nordica Santa Ana
Size: 169
Conditions: Early season variable; ice, crud, at one point someone I was with described areas as "riding on gravel", then some soft spots where the snow mounded up or the sun hit
Rider information: 5'5", approx. 135 lbs

This ski is incredibly versatile for a 100-underfoot ski. The 15.5 radius creates a ski that loves to turn on hardback. Having sharp edges was a must for this weekend's conditions, and the Santa Ana ate up the hard packed semi-groomed terrain. When getting into some of the softer snow on trail edges you can tell this is where the ski will excel. I can't wait for the snow to fall to get it out there.

They say there's no rest for the wicked, which is the must-have mindset on this ski. There's no steering from the back seat; in fact it's a two-seater, riding in the back seat isn't even an option. As soon as you start getting lazy, the Santa Ana gets squirrly and unmanageable.

Overall, ride it as a one-ski quiver or find a spot in your line up. It's found a spot in my quiver as a "go-to" ski, for those days you just want to do it all.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They say there's no rest for the wicked, which is the must-have mindset on this ski. There's no steering from the back seat; in fact it's a two-seater, riding in the back seat isn't even an option. As soon as you start getting lazy, the Santa Ana gets squirrly and unmanageable.

That's not my experience. I'm not someone who is always on top of her skis - one reason I don't get along with most Volkls - but the Santa Ana works for me. But I'm not sure how our ability levels compare, and I'm carrying a lot more weight.

elemmac

Angel Diva
That's not my experience. I'm not someone who is always on top of her skis - one reason I don't get along with most Volkls - but the Santa Ana works for me. But I'm not sure how our ability levels compare, and I'm carrying a lot more weight.

That's really interesting to hear. I'm not always on top of my skis either, it's something I've really been working on though. I found these skis push my abilities to be more aggressive, which I really enjoyed. As you said, could be different weights as well behind the ski, I might have thought differently if I went a size down. As snow conditions change I may have a different opinion on them as well, as their playful side seems to come out in the softer snow.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's really interesting to hear. I'm not always on top of my skis either, it's something I've really been working on though. I found these skis push my abilities to be more aggressive, which I really enjoyed. As you said, could be different weights as well behind the ski, I might have thought differently if I went a size down. As snow conditions change I may have a different opinion on them as well, as their playful side seems to come out in the softer snow.

Give us a report once you've had a few days on them - I'm curious if your impression will be the same, or if you'll "unlock" them. My first day on them was the Diva event at Big Sky, and I was skiing with East Coast ladies who called the early morning conditions true ice. They bit well and gave me a ton of confidence. Since then, I've absolutely been more in softer snow, in mank, in crud, in fist to head sized chunks of broken crust ... these things are bombproof.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Give us a report once you've had a few days on them - I'm curious if your impression will be the same, or if you'll "unlock" them so that they don't feel so squirrelly when cruising. My first day on them was the Diva event at Big Sky, and I was skiing with East Coast ladies who called the early morning conditions true ice. They bit well and gave me a ton of confidence. Since then, I've absolutely been more in softer snow, in mank, in crud, in fist to head sized chunks of broken crust ... these things are bombproof.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SnowHot hit the nail on the head with this description. I took out my new Santa Ana's this weekend at Sunday River, I came on here to write out a review, and realized that this sentence sums up exactly what I would say about the ski.

Ski reviewed: Nordica Santa Ana
Size: 169
Conditions: Early season variable; ice, crud, at one point someone I was with described areas as "riding on gravel", then some soft spots where the snow mounded up or the sun hit
Rider information: 5'5", approx. 135 lbs

This ski is incredibly versatile for a 100-underfoot ski. The 15.5 radius creates a ski that loves to turn on hardback. Having sharp edges was a must for this weekend's conditions, and the Santa Ana ate up the hard packed semi-groomed terrain. When getting into some of the softer snow on trail edges you can tell this is where the ski will excel. I can't wait for the snow to fall to get it out there.

Overall, ride it as a one-ski quiver or find a spot in your line up. It's found a spot in my quiver as a "go-to" ski, for those days you just want to do it all.
Nice review. I should hire you. :becky:

elemmac

Angel Diva
Give us a report once you've had a few days on them - I'm curious if your impression will be the same, or if you'll "unlock" them. My first day on them was the Diva event at Big Sky, and I was skiing with East Coast ladies who called the early morning conditions true ice. They bit well and gave me a ton of confidence. Since then, I've absolutely been more in softer snow, in mank, in crud, in fist to head sized chunks of broken crust ... these things are bombproof.

Well, I've hit day number 3 on them, and I still absolutely love them. "Bombproof" is a great description, they handled everything I hit them with. First day this weekend, conditions were a mixed-bag of solid slopes and mashed potatoes. Second day I got into some east coast, early season faux-pow, and they loved it!! I find they feel like a very different ski depending on the conditions. They're very playful in the softer snow and in bumps but they can 'grip it and rip it' on the harder pack or thru afternoon crud.

I still feel like you need to be on top of them or they'll throw you for a loop, but I also found that they're a very easy ski to stay on top. Some Volkl's make me feel like I'm just along for the ride and the skis are driving, but the Santa Ana's give me a full feeling of being in control (thus far at least).

Nice review. I should hire you. :becky:

Thanks! I love writing reviews, especially when I'm all jazzed up about a ski like this one.

Teeble

Diva in Training
I just demo'd the Santa Ana's in a 153 today at Sunapee in NH, and I absolutely loved them.

My stats: 5'2", 107 lbs, advanced/expert skier (I guess). Usually ski the Blizzard Black Pearls in 153cm
Conditions: machine loose granular snow, soft and a little slushy towards the end of the day

I've been shopping around for skis to use for touring, and after trying the Rossi Saffron and Savory 7s in 162cm length (which I was disappointed with), the Nordica rep convinced me to try the Wild Belle (161cm, 88mm waist) and then the Santa Ana's. I found them very playful, easy to turn, and stable even when the snow got bumped out at the end of the day. Much easier to drive than the two Rossi's. My takeaway from today is that turning radius is really important to me. For the 153s, the Santa Ana's have a very short radius of 12.5, and then the 161s (the next size up) are 13.5. This was my first ski day of the season and felt like I was skiing a little backseat, but still felt like they were pretty easy for me to control. Hoping to demo them in 161 length before I bite the bullet!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm curious as I am near your size (5'1 around 102) an older advanced skier (not expert) and purchased the Rossi Saffron 7 last season. That being said I haven't tried them in any real snow as was a super drought in Tahoe last year. Different story this year. What resonated with me is you said the Santa Ana was easy to turn, stable, easier to drive even when snow got bumped out at the end of day. Wonder now what my Rossi Saffron's will feel like in real snow? Hope to go to tahoe on Thursday or Friday... Guess I'll find out and I can guarantee you I will probably be in the back seat until i get my groove going. It will be my first day this season...

Awesome. I saw these skis for the first time (Santa Ana) in Snow Summit's skis hop and I am very excited to try them as well. Debating on the 161 or the 169. I was "scared" of a ski that's 100 underfoot but they look pretty manageable. Maybe having the Elysians at 95 underfoot has broken me in :smile:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Awesome. I saw these skis for the first time (Santa Ana) in Snow Summit's skis hop and I am very excited to try them as well. Debating on the 161 or the 169. I was "scared" of a ski that's 100 underfoot but they look pretty manageable. Maybe having the Elysians at 95 underfoot has broken me in :smile:

95 to 100 is really not much of a jump. Probably shape will matter more than waist width.

Can you try both lengths?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
There's nothing to be scared of! Try them both on the same type of run or even the same run. I'm pretty light so ski lengths and widths are noticeable, but you'll find out that one seems more suited to your style than the other. Really, they're just skis and many of us have skied on lengths and widths all over the board.

Thank you. I will absolutely give them a whirl. I love the smaller turning radios. I am pretty excited. I hopefully will get the chance this Saturday at Mount snows demo day.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Thank you. I will absolutely give them a whirl. I love the smaller turning radios. I am pretty excited. I hopefully will get the chance this Saturday at Mount snows demo day.
And I'm hoping to go to Tahoe on Thursday or Friday for my first day (s) on skis with over 2 ft of new snow.... probably another foot fell today...

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am hoping to hear from some of you who have skied both the Santa Ana's and the Sambas to weigh in on their differences.

laine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone have a sense of how these compare to the Nemesis? When I got the Nemesis, I was between them and the Sambas. How do the Santa Anas fit in there?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone have a sense of how these compare to the Nemesis? When I got the Nemesis, I was between them and the Sambas. How do the Santa Anas fit in there?
That's another good question! They are all so similar on paper, with two of them made by Nordica. Kinda crazy!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
When I demoed the Sambas, the guy in the ski shop said I would also like the Nemesis but didn't want to bother to ski to the village to trade... Now I want to try the Santa Ana after @Teeble post.. Of course I have my new Saffron 7's that have barely been skied on. It was between them and the Samba and honestly I don't know why I chose the Saffron over the Samba. Think BF's influence as he got the Soul 7's....aha!

95 to 100 is really not much of a jump. Probably shape will matter more than waist width.

Can you try both lengths?

I will see if I can try both lengths. The demo day that's happening this saturday will feature Nordica in addition to other manufacturers so hoping they will have the Santa Ana since it is a hot ski. In additional to this Mount Snow had them in their ski shop so hoping this means they are also in their daily demo inventory. Hoping this means I get double the chance to try them. I am also excited by the turning radius. I tend to like to make tighter turns so thinking I'm going to like this ski.

@santacruz skier Enjoy that powder :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna