• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Nordica SA 98, Blizzard Black Pearl 97 or...?

J_fromCA

Diva in Training
Hi @J_fromCA,

I am the same size as you (well, +8lbs. :tongue:), also ski out in Tahoe, and literally just replaced my old 156cm Volkl Attivas this week!

Here are my demo notes from Squaw/Alpine earlier this month as well as input from some other more knowledgeable divas than myself: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...ment-for-volkl-attiva-ac2s.25389/#post-429379. I tried the Volkl Secret 92 (163cm), Salomon Stance 88 (161cm), BP 97 (165cm), and Atomic Vantage 86 (165cm). I have also skiied by brother's Elan Ripstick 96 (167cm) -- which come in 88 and 94 for women -- and found them to be super fun and poppy off-piste while still able to maintain a nice edge on groomers. In the end (and upon finding the best deal, haha), I went with the Secrets and will be here obsessively refreshing the UPS tracking site until they arrive tomorrow!

WOW! Sooo similar on stats, and too funny you just replaced your Attivas! I was afraid when I wrote the original post the model was going to fall on deaf ears, but comforting to know I am not the only one who has a pair, lol. Love the demo notes- thank you for sharing! (would you be willing to share where you got the deal? I am watching ski shops like hawks waiting for their demo sales) and oh gosh.. now I am not sure about the Secrets. When I tried them a couple of years ago (when I blew out my knee), I reallly liked them. I did have to ski them pretty aggressively and I liked how they performed on groomers (which I like to ski, but my boyfriend shys away from and often I am with him). I wish they made the Secrets in a mid-high 90's, to just get the little bit of width so that on those powder days and days I am following my boyfriend I don't get stuck.

I was in Utah a few weeks ago at Park City and Alta/Snowbird. Skied Alta/snowbird in early conditions with snow falling on the 2021 Santa Ana's 93.. I loved them, perfect for the conditions I was in. But then at Park City the next day I skied on the 2021 98's since it was powder conditions (it started to snow late afternoon/overnight) but bc it was the first storm of the season, the base wasn't there yet and lots of the mountain was still closed. All is to say, it wasn't true true powder conditions but just some fresh, non-super-groomed trails. Again, loved those. I think the wider waist definitely helped with the experience on powder.. so torn between the 93 and 98

Hmm.. I think I need to get one more demo day in and really compare the Secret 92, SA93 and SA98s

enk319

Diva in Training
I found mine at Northern Ski Works, which has the 2019, 2020, and 2021 versions all on sale: https://northernskiworks.com/?s=Völkl+secret+

My understanding is that only the top sheet has changed from year to year, and I felt no difference between the 2019 and 2021 after skiing both. I picked the 2020 because I am a sucker for leopard print! Snagged the last 163cm pair but 156cm is still available...

Ski Essentials has the 2021 with demo bindings: https://www.alpinstore.com/en/amp/p...ency=5&isolang=en&id_lang=7&id_product=437278

The 2020 (flat): https://www.gorhambike.com/product/...umBW0gdLoa74TcAWaSitPWfz2Pag0vfEaAsHNEALw_wcB

The 2021 (flat; shipping from Europe): https://www.alpinstore.com/en/amp/p...ency=5&isolang=en&id_lang=7&id_product=437278

Völkl also introduced the Secret 96 this year and early reviews all seem positive. Hopefully it will make it into demo lists soon! I skied the 92s on a powder day (I think official reports said 8”?) without problems although I am admittedly not a great powder skier...

Last edited:

J_fromCA

Diva in Training
Also: Volkl introduced the Secret 96 this year and early reviews all seem positive. I skied the 92s on a powder day (I think official reports said 8”?) without problems although I am admittedly not a great powder skier...

thanks for all the hyperlinks! I"ll check them out. I think I am wanting to stay with Volkl Secrets because a) their Volkls and I have loved mine dearly, b) I know how to ski a narrower ski on powder days (albeit, i probably make it more difficult for myself) but I too am not a great powder skier.

maybe if I get a really good deal I could treat myself to two pairs.. secret 92's and SA 98s.. haha [wishful thinking!]

LauraVa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just bought a pair of Santa Ana 98s and took them out yesterday on soft groomers and frozen chicken heads. Had a blast! These were not the conditions I bought them for, but I wanted to try them out. Love them, they were stable and fast, but maneuverable at the same time. Hopefully will be able to get them out in some deeper snow before the season ends.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just bought a pair of Santa Ana 98s and took them out yesterday on soft groomers and frozen chicken heads. Had a blast! These were not the conditions I bought them for, but I wanted to try them out. Love them, they were stable and fast, but maneuverable at the same time. Hopefully will be able to get them out in some deeper snow before the season ends.
Yup, that's how I feel about them, too. They do shine in deeper snow even more!

J_fromCA

Diva in Training
I just bought a pair of Santa Ana 98s and took them out yesterday on soft groomers and frozen chicken heads. Had a blast! .

what are frozen chicken heads?! haha, I love the lingo we use to describe snow conditions!

That aside, great to hear you had a blast on them! I am really ready to buy myself a pair- I just need to find a good deal. I think in a couple of weeks I'll be able to get my hands on a pair of demos from a local ski shop :goodluck:

J_fromCA

Diva in Training
Thought I'd circle back now that I purchased the 2021 SA 98's (165cm) and skied on them this past weekend (3/13-14) in Squaw. And would love to hear other people's thoughts if you're skiing them.

TLDR: overall pretty happy with my purchase (brand new on sale!). Still getting used to them and realize that I do have to charge them a bit more than my old skis. Poppy yet stiff enough to bust through bumps. fairly stable at speed on groomers but there is a little chatter that I am not quite used to yet. Look forward to seeing how they fare as I get used to them on tighter turns being a wider all-mountain ski and how they will hold up on fresh powder.

Conditions: hadn't snowed since Tuesday/Wednesday so nothing fresh but it had remained cold enough that there was still some good snow in areas. If you're familiar with the mountain, skied mostly Headwall, Emigrant, KT, Granite, Shirly

Saturday: even though I had demoed them a couple of times, the day was mostly spent getting used to them. With the hesitation, I found myself sitting back on them and feeling out of control, but once I corrected my stance to be over them it was better. Skied mostly bumping stuff (which I historically don't enjoy on stiff, narrow, east coast skis) but with these new ones make it was slightly more enjoyable.

Sunday: Still lots of thinking of "how to ski" the ski and my form but noticed I was getting a little more comfortable on them. I noticed that there is a little more ski in the back than I am not used to so sometimes in tight bumps it's hard for me to connect my turns and get the ski around without it feeling like it's stuck. So I resort to more of "the pizza" turning.

Purchase: For those in MA, I ended up getting them from RJ Bradley's in Littleton. I was targeted with an IG ad and saw they were having a sale. It was only going to be $20 more for brand new ski, binding, mounting and shipping (total $620), than buying them used/demo. I also didn't have to deal with the stress of waiting for the demo/used sales and chancing they had my size in stock (165 seems to have been a popular size so many online retailers were already sold out). Shipping is free over $79, so another plus that I could get them here in CA. I am originally from MA, so I liked that I was able to support a local shop. The guys there were also very nice.

Thank you to everyone who added their insight over the last month of so! happy [spring] skiing!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thought I'd circle back now that I purchased the 2021 SA 98's (165cm) and skied on them this past weekend (3/13-14) in Squaw. And would love to hear other people's thoughts if you're skiing them.

TLDR: overall pretty happy with my purchase (brand new on sale!). Still getting used to them and realize that I do have to charge them a bit more than my old skis. Poppy yet stiff enough to bust through bumps. fairly stable at speed on groomers but there is a little chatter that I am not quite used to yet. Look forward to seeing how they fare as I get used to them on tighter turns being a wider all-mountain ski and how they will hold up on fresh powder.

Conditions: hadn't snowed since Tuesday/Wednesday so nothing fresh but it had remained cold enough that there was still some good snow in areas. If you're familiar with the mountain, skied mostly Headwall, Emigrant, KT, Granite, Shirly

Saturday: even though I had demoed them a couple of times, the day was mostly spent getting used to them. With the hesitation, I found myself sitting back on them and feeling out of control, but once I corrected my stance to be over them it was better. Skied mostly bumping stuff (which I historically don't enjoy on stiff, narrow, east coast skis) but with these new ones make it was slightly more enjoyable.

Sunday: Still lots of thinking of "how to ski" the ski and my form but noticed I was getting a little more comfortable on them. I noticed that there is a little more ski in the back than I am not used to so sometimes in tight bumps it's hard for me to connect my turns and get the ski around without it feeling like it's stuck. So I resort to more of "the pizza" turning.

Purchase: For those in MA, I ended up getting them from RJ Bradley's in Littleton. I was targeted with an IG ad and saw they were having a sale. It was only going to be $20 more for brand new ski, binding, mounting and shipping (total $620), than buying them used/demo. I also didn't have to deal with the stress of waiting for the demo/used sales and chancing they had my size in stock (165 seems to have been a popular size so many online retailers were already sold out). Shipping is free over $79, so another plus that I could get them here in CA. I am originally from MA, so I liked that I was able to support a local shop. The guys there were also very nice.

Thank you to everyone who added their insight over the last month of so! happy [spring] skiing!
What you're describing to me sounds more like you are getting used to a different binding ramp angle than the actual skis. What bindings did you have mounted, and what are you used to skiing? What size boots are you in?

Also, when you say chatter, do you mean a little tip flap? It's pretty common with rockered skis. I guess I've just gotten used to it.

J_fromCA

Diva in Training
What you're describing to me sounds more like you are getting used to a different binding ramp angle than the actual skis. What bindings did you have mounted, and what are you used to skiing? What size boots are you in?

Also, when you say chatter, do you mean a little tip flap? It's pretty common with rockered skis. I guess I've just gotten used to it.

I got the Marker Griffon 13ID bindings mounted. I have no idea what bindings I have on my old skis (Volkl Attivia AC3) but I I am pretty sure they are Marker and, if possible, ones that were recommended with the ski. They are over 13years old..so... lol. Size of boot sole length is 286mm

Yeah, exactly- a little tip flapping. Nothing I can't get used to but something I didn't remember from when I demoed them.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got the Marker Griffon 13ID bindings mounted. I have no idea what bindings I have on my old skis (Volkl Attivia AC3) but I I am pretty sure they are Marker and, if possible, ones that were recommended with the ski. They are over 13years old..so... lol. Size of boot sole length is 286mm

Yeah, exactly- a little tip flapping. Nothing I can't get used to but something I didn't remember from when I demoed them.
I believe those bindings have a pretty flat delta (I misspoke earlier saying ramp angle.) Do you remember what binding was in the demo ski?

J_fromCA

Diva in Training
I believe those bindings have a pretty flat delta (I misspoke earlier saying ramp angle.) Do you remember what binding was in the demo ski?

To be completely honest I never really paid attention to bindings when I demo (only what DIN setting they put it at) until I had to purchase them. I did some research based on what was recommended for the ski and between the 2 or 3 options these markers were on sale, so went with them.

As an aside, I did get a binding test at Squaw's demo center shop before using them to make sure it's all safe, etc with my boot - since the store can only approximately set stuff with the measurement I gave them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna