• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Nordica Olympia Victory review

Cambridge Kate

Certified Ski Diva
Hi all, I recently demoed the Nordica Olympia Victory skis in 154 and 163 at Killington. Conditions were thin snow cover (why wreck my newly tuned ski bases when I could demo?) but soft and soon bumped up. I had read up on various women's skis that would work on and off piste, wanted something with a waist at least 71 cm. These Nordicas were at the top of my short list along with the Dynastar Exclusive Legend and the Fischer Vision 73.

I'm 5'6", 120 lbs., 54 yrs. old. Currently I'm on Dynastar Intuitiv 71's at 167 cm length. They've been a real fine ski but the older I get the less ski I want to move around on the slope all day long. And I thought a shorter ski might make the glades more fun. I told the guy at the demo counter that I thought the 163's would be right for me. He said, well, maybe, but they only come in 3 sizes now (last year was 5 sizes) and that's the longest one so why not try the 154's first? So I took them through the bumps and tried out short turns and long cruising highspeed turns.

These skis were big fun! Very zippy, lively, and absolutely solid at speed. They popped up out of turns and held steady if I wanted to GS down the cruisers. I started to think I could actually handle bumps, kinda sorta. They only required the whispered suggestion to initiate a turn. Very forgiving too, although I think they really came to life with a strong ski style. I played on them for 4 hours and didn't want to go back and demo anything else.

Finally at the end of the day I took them back and asked to try the longer skis. Two runs convinced me that small is beautiful. I never thought I'd be interested in a ski that short, but these are made to perform at that length. Nordica did a great job.

I looked around for a deal on a pair but found nothing below $750, anywhere. Then managed to locate one pair of last year's model (only difference is the graphics, and I think they did well to make changes) for $680 at the local ski shop. Not much of a bargain. But this week the shop had a post-Christmas 20% off sale. Eureka! The skis I wanted, new for $550!

I haven't tried them in off-trail conditions (that would be skiing in dirt right now in the East), but I think they will do fine in crud and powder. I can't wait to find out....

CK

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great review! It's got me paying attention. I was just looking at the Nordica Speedmachine. A year ago I'd never though of Nordica. Hmmm funny how things change.

sleddog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've got the Nordica Mach3 Speedmachine w/o the metal sheet (yellow graphics) in a 154. It's an incredible ski both at speed and cuts through the big piles of loose crystalline snow on top of WI glacier. I'm 5'6, 170lbs - so not a lightweight!

My SO has the same ski in a 176 and is 6'7 and 215. Neither of us has found fault with the ski - I also tried the Olympia Speed and although I liked it better than any women's ski I've ever tried, I decided to stick with the unisex ski.

With the width of the ski you can really go short with these skis and not compromise on stability at speed. I actually find them more stable than my Fischer RX8 was in a 160.

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, I skied those skis at Big Mountain last spring in a 163 and thought they were too stiff-- I skied them off groomed and on a bump run and finally, on a groomed run. I liked the stability of the ski---they felt heavy but, I really did not like them in the bumps---I am not sure who bumped more--me or them.

They did not have the 154 at the time--I think I might have liked them better in that size---I usually ski a shorter ski myself. It sounds like they work for you though---good luck!!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sleddog;

What did you consider when deciding on the Speedmachine over the Olympia Speed? What finalized your decision?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
And why the Victory over the Speedmachine? How are they different (other than the fact that the Victory is a women's ski)? Anyone have any comparison?

Cambridge Kate

Certified Ski Diva
Victory over Speed

I do a lot of off-trail skiing - glades and bowls - and ungroomed trail skiing. The extra width of the Victory gives me the versatility I need. I also like a lively ski that will pop out of turns, and that will let me make any turn radius I want. I tried the Atomic Metrons, and while they were a total blast as long as you kept turning them, they really wanted to make tight turns and weren't as happy on a larger radius.

The Dynastars I'm using now are a big and heavy ski so I'm comparing to them. Bumps are a lot easier on the Victory skis! No doubt there are better bump skis but most mid-fat all-mountain skis do not excel in bumps. Skiing ungroomed snow is my priority so I make do in moguls. The Speed is more of a groomed-surface ski, and damper than the Victory (or so it says in reviews).

I've owned 4 pairs of Dynastar skis and have always been pleased with their dedication to making women-specific skis. For a lightweight like me, it makes a big difference. So Nordica must be doing something right to make me stray....

It comes down to finding what you want for your own purposes. Demo!

CK

sleddog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Speedmachine is slightly narrower in the waist than the Victory. I already own a pair of skis that are 76mm underfoot and they seem a little sluggish when rolling them over at the beginning of a turn on fast snow- so I went with the narrower one.

As to why I went with the unisex ski? I've never found a unisex ski to be unbalanced for me and don't need the lighter weight and softer flex of a women's ski. I like how quick the shorter skis are and felt that I'd need to stay in the 160 or longer length in a women's version.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just the type of comparison I was looking for....thanks!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly