• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Nordic skiing

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Keep in mind that skate and classic gear is not interchangeable. They are two completely different things. You cannot do classic technique with skate gear

Christy

Angel Diva
Keep in mind that skate and classic gear is not interchangeable. They are two completely different things. You cannot do classic technique with skate gear

That was another question I had so thanks.

Are you guys also saying that I need to buy boots with skis, because one boot might not work with the binding on a particular ski?

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you normally rent skis/boots at the same place and you know which system of bindings they use for their skis, then you could get away with just buying boots (buy boots with that same system). But keep in mind if you were to go someplace else they may use a different binding for their skis so your boots would not be compatible.

I think the best course of action if this is something you'd like to do more than just occasionally/once a year is to buy boots/bindings/skis all at once. That way you can go anywhere and have your own gear and know it will work for you. Pick the boot first that fits the best, then pick what skis you want and then buy the bindings compatible with your boot.

The two most common binding systems are SNS (requires one wide groove in the bottom of the boot) and NNN (requires 2 narrow grooves in the bottom of the boot). There might be others but I think these are the 2 most common you'll encounter.

Christy

Angel Diva
Is there any advantage of one system over the other?

I probably should buy since I want to use the groomed trails on our public lands, not just Nordic areas at ski areas.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Christy REI has basic info on skis boots and bindings:
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/crosscountry-ski-touring-gear.html
This helps with the binding
https://www.gearx.com/blog/knowledge/skiing/nordic-ski-binding-compatibility-guide/

BTW are you always in a track? I do have "combi" boots which supposedly can be used for both skate and classic. The boot gives extra ankle support for use in "skating" which I actually prefer while skiing "classic" as I'm sometimes off the track lol. I have not tried skate yet, but would like to. Eventually would like to get metal edge skis and stiffer BC boots for un-groomed trails as there really is only one place for groomed tracks and the yearly pass is $$$.

You could get a package like this https://www.xcskishop.com/skis/cros...ion-x-50-cross-country-ski-package-19-20.html
LESS than a pair of down hill skis ;)

Last edited:

Christy

Angel Diva
@WaterGirl I've only been once so there's no "always" yet. :smile: We did some out-of-track skiing in my lesson but I'm operating under the assumption that I will be in tracks as I just want something easy to do in the mountains in winter. I suppose there are times when the tracks have been trampled or just aren't in good shape.

Thanks for those links!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly