• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Nordic skiing

Jenny

Angel Diva
I do have to say that since I've gotten the iPad I do now at least allow for the possibility that the person typing really does know the difference between it's and its!

abc

Banned
That's why I use an android phone that has a slide-out keyboard! No need for auto-complete because I can actually "type" normally.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My history of nordic skiing:

Early 1980's: Received full-wax Rossignol Horizon II skis and poles. Spent a couple of years trying to figure out the perfect wax combination, finally getting it right ONCE and thinking "this might actually be fun, sometime, maybe".

Mid 1980's: Discovered alpine skiing and totally gave up the nordics.

2011: Bought semi-current waxless skis, new boots, and poles for both of us for $100 at the local ski swap, then had a crappy snow season and never used them.

2012 (almost 30 years later): Upgraded both pairs of skis (I got Fischer S-Bound skis, the fattest you can get that will still fit in traditional, standard tracks), and finally got out on them. We've discovered that we love classic skiing....we have a 40 acre plot we can bushwack our own track in and there are any number of trails (both track-set and ungroomed) within an hour of us. Skating, however, would require driving 45 minutes to Crystal and paying for trail access, driving 60 minutes to VASA which is very, VERY hilly, or driving over 1-1/2 hours to Grayling to ski. My boots are actually skate boots and I love the higher level of support, but I'm finding their construction is giving me massive heel blisters. Gah.

No way in hell we were going DH on President's weekend, so we went cross country instead:
Myself and a friend at Lost Lake Pathway
36608_4867722964180_1482421361_n.jpg

Indianaskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The last time I used my Nordic skis was in 1984. We had a lovely, deep snow, so went to the state park near us and had a great day, after which I began to feel very dizzy and nauseous. I thought I had a virus. A few days later I found out I was expecting our second child. :smile: :brick: The skis and boots were then stored away and a mouse destroyed the boots, which were really awful anyway, more like thick tennis shoes. The skis are waxless and still in great condition, if I can find boots that will work with them and IF we would have some decent snowfall I would like to get back to using them again. It's such good exercise.

Indianaskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You brave, brave woman.
LOL Have no fear, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that I'll have the same thing happen if I should take up Nordic skiing again. The parts are long gone and even if they weren't, at my age it might be a miracle and not a welcome one. :bolt:

Christy

Angel Diva
Boy did I move slowly on this. A few years ago I took 2 skate skiing lessons, but I wasn't a natural, and I decided that I didn't need another winter sport I will struggle with. A couple days ago in Sun Valley I took a classic lesson. Probably a lot of people would say you don't need a lesson for classic, but I'm glad I did that. What fun! And idiot proof. After the hour lesson I set off on my own and it was fantastic.

rsz_20200110_104853-01.jpg

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love Nordic skiing, usually go a few times, I used to run Lapland Lake XC Ski, I taught there and I raced in high school and college (on the boys team Title 9)

I prefer Classic over skate, once you get the kick and slide down it's really not too difficult. I like the full body stretch when you get completely extended. Skate skiing while fun, I tend to get cold, I can skate really fast from skating on Alpine skis XC are so light!

I admired those trails at SV.. there wasn't enough snow to use them the year I was there, Next time!
Have fun!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DD and I picked up some used xc gear late november, have passes and really enjoy classic for now, even in the storms we had in december the tracks were still super fun. Ultimate day 4 hrs on mt, lunch at home and then and hour or more xc. Great work out for getting in shape for back country skinning. Very peaceful and something DD can do by herself if she wants. Would like to learn skate eventually should be ok w/ ice skate/ roller blade background. Would like to pick up a pair of metal edged skis and skate skis - luckily we are "similar weight" so we can share skis.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Of course classic style deserves a lesson! Glad you are enjoying it! Beautiful and so quiet (usually) in comparison!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Don't fool your self about learning skate techinique. I though it would be easy to learn as I can skate across flats pretty dang well on my alpine gear. Wrong!!!! Nordic skating techique has a lot of finesse to it to be efficient and smooth. Lessons and lots of practice is highly recommended.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Boy did I move slowly on this. A few years ago I took 2 skate skiing lessons, but I wasn't a natural, and I decided that I didn't need another winter sport I will struggle with. A couple days ago in Sun Valley I took a classic lesson. Probably a lot of people would say you don't need a lesson for classic, but I'm glad I did that. What fun! And idiot proof. After the hour lesson I set off on my own and it was fantastic.

View attachment 11842

Wow! I’m inspired to give it a try! Thanks for sharing so much about your time at Sun Valley!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've learned to love Nordic touring since we got our place near Yellowstone. It's a great way to see nature, get winter exercise, and get away from people. While there is a world-class x/c ski system in West Yellowstone (Rendezvous), I prefer touring through the woods and Ystone park on our own, even breaking trail as needed. buffaloM.JPG

Christy

Angel Diva
I decided I needed my own boots, and it's been interesting trying to figure out where to buy them. None of the ski shops around here sell Nordic. I wonder why that is. I was hoping to go to ski shop and actually get some professional advice about them, and talk about skis too. Looks like I'll be going to REI where help can be hit or miss.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Like downhill, boots are the foundation. Rentals are awful. Once you find a boot that fits and meets your type of use, then skis are easy and IMO, less important. My set up for touring I got at REI on a sale for $60 (basic fishscale skis, bindings, poles) and boots were not much more. I think I have the N binding system.

For long treks in Yellowstone etc, I'm ready to move up to a more beefy boot and nordic ski with metal edges (as my skis now have no metal edge, which is fine for touring, but going downhill is harder).

Jilly

Staff member
Christy - just to help you. Ski length is rated by your weight. It will be right on the skis. Binding must match the boot. There are grooves in the sole and the binding needs to match that. Some a wide, some are narrow.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Christy agree on the boots, but even with a few different brands to demo (or at least step into for sizing and feel) at 3 shops I don't think I really found my ultimate boot yet.
Several brands, Fischer, Rossi, Salomon, Aplina
Several styles classic, skate, combi, off track, tour boots etc.
We got lucky at the demo sale with a pair of Rossi Classic for her and Rossi Combi for me in our respective sizes that so far have not given us any problems and are quite warm...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna