• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Nordic skiing

Christy

Angel Diva
I want to take it up. The question is, regular or skate? Thoughts? I think either way I'll take a lesson. I am not a natural downhill skier so I wonder if skate will be really hard. But it seems more interesting than staying in the tracks all the time.

(I couldn't figure out which forum this would fit in, so mods, feel free to move it)

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Christy, I LOVE Nordic skiing, probably more than alpine. :-). I do most skating. It's more aerobically strenuous than classic, but I think it's more fun. It also is wonderful for balance, and it will most likely make you a better alpine skier.

Take a lesson, no matter what type of Nordic skiing you decide to do. I look a bunch of skating lessons.

What's great about Nordic is that it is a sport you can do well into old age. Nordic skiers have amazing stamina and are not plagued by the knee injuries alpine skiers are.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Skate skiing at Mt. Van Hoevenberg, Lake Placid. :becky:
skate_zps5728fd7a.jpg

Christy

Angel Diva
Thanks! I want to do this because two of my favorite places in the world--the Methow Valley and Sun Valley--have some of the most extensive Nordic trail systems in the country. Plus, on some trails I can ski with my dog. I want to do this!

MVP-DogGunnRanch.jpg

Am I right in thinking that this would be a great thing to do if downhill conditions weren't so great? That if it hasn't snowed in a while, for instance, or if there's been a freeze/thaw cycle, that the Nordic skiing would still be fine? Or is it just as important to have good snow quality as it is with downhill?

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do both skate and classic and I find that good conditions are more important for skate than classic. For example, if it was really icy I'd probably choose to be in an icy track than on an icy, rutted skate lane. But that could just be my taste.
I started out just doing classic and then tried skate after a while. My absolute favorite is classical style but not in the groomed tracks. I love going out in the woods, fields, golf course and blazing my own trail.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting thing about conditions - last Saturday was the day after an 18" dump. The downhill resort left it as pushed-around crud and called it "fresh powder" whereas the Nordic resort groomed and packed it and set track. Nordic would have been a far better choice that day!

When I started skiing, it was Nordic - I was too terrified of downhill and couldn't even wedge. I also distinctly remember side-stepping down a little Nordic hill. Well, I got over all that and really enjoy getting out for Nordic when conditions are right. I've only learned classic and would love to do a skate lesson.

Indianaskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish we had more natural snow here. I enjoy Nordic and have my old skis. The boots are long gone, however. Being older skis I'm not sure if I can find boots that will work with them or not. I don't know much about it, but I know it was a great workout the times we had enough snow to get out on them.

Christy

Angel Diva
I'm wondering about conditions in particular for this weekend, because it would be nice to go to the ski area that's only an hour from my house and take a lesson, but it's also the lowest elevation ski area and it looks like they might get some rain tomorrow when temps are a bit warmer, then snow the next few days.

abc

Banned
Go ahead and learn skate. Once you're a competent skate skier, you can easily pick up classic. In fact, all you have to do is get a pair of classic skis and drop into the tracks! The reverse is not true.

But keep in mind, skating has significantly harder learning curve at the beginning. One lesson isn't going to cut it. You'll probably take quite a few before you get the hang of it. And for quite a while, going uphill will still be a big challenge.

Downhill skill is the same as in classic. The stiffer boots/skis will make downhill control on skating setup a bit easier to manage.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Christy - my trip to the Methow Valley inspired me to want to learn how to skate ski. The weirdest things for me to get used to are the unattached heels.

Here's my nordic skiing story:

February 2006 - Rented classic skis and went out in a random field outside of Breckinridge. Fell face first into a snow bank and needed to be pulled out by the scruff of my neck. Decided that classic skiing was a lot of effort for not much reward.

sometime between 2007 and 2012 - Rented classic skis during a storm where multiple feet of snow fell. In this case, classic skis was totally the right call because there was no way a skate skier could get around at the rate the snow was falling. I figured out how to kick and glide rather efficiently (though, I still have no idea if the technique is right). It's a pretty cool mode of transportation.

March 2012 - Rented classic skis and kicked and glided around a sno park in Bend without much problem and really wanted to learn how to skate ski, so my friend, a former racer/coach, gave me some basic lessons.

February 2013 (as in, last weekend) - Tried on skate skis for the first time and felt like a newborn calf for the first 45 minutes. I couldn't balance for the life of me, the tails confused me, I was super inefficient, and oh yeah, I am an out of shape flatlander and I was at 7,000 feet. After 45 minutes of flailing, I took a lesson and was skating around. The biggest challenge is that when you're learning, you're inefficient, which means that you get winded super fast. Conditions at the downhill ski resorts were cold and windy, so being aerobic was a good thing.

Tomorrow - I plan to skate ski again. Conditions tomorrow will be springlike. I'll be taking another lesson.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I can skate in my alpine gear very well.... I know its not the same thing but I'm hoping it will give me a clue.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can skate in my alpine gear very well.... I know its not the same thing but I'm hoping it will give me a clue.

I think it helps. For someone who has never been on skis before, balance can be really tricky. My lesson was with two other first-time skate skiers, long-time alpine skiers, and sometimes classic skiers. We spent at most 20 minutes doing drills and then went off skiing. Other friends who took skate skiing lessons have said that they've spent nearly an hour doing drills in lessons.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Am I right in thinking that this would be a great thing to do if downhill conditions weren't so great? That if it hasn't snowed in a while, for instance, or if there's been a freeze/thaw cycle, that the Nordic skiing would still be fine? Or is it just as important to have good snow quality as it is with downhill?

Um, no. I came to alpine from Nordic, and one of the main reasons I did so was moving to New England from Wisconsin. Alpine ski areas mostly have snowmaking capacity. Nordic areas mostly don't. Some do, but when they do, it's for a short/small skating loop. If you don't have good conditions for downhill skiing you won't have them for cross-country skiing. It's even worse because you can deal with icy conditions on the downhill slopes by using stiff skis with sharp edges, but unless you're using back-country skis for cross-country, you usually don't have metal edges at all. Also, with nordic skiing, any hill you ski down...you had to hike up with a pair of skinny plastic 200cm skis strapped to your feet, first. When it's icy, when there have been freeze-thaw cycles, when there hasn't been much snow lately - stick to the downhill runs.

In New England, and Wisconsin, the nordic season is at least 1 month shorter than the downhill ski season. Maybe it was different Back In The Day, but in the last ten years, that's what we have.

None of this means I'm down on Nordic skiing. I have several pairs of cross-country skis, and when conditions are right there is just no comparison at all. You spend way more time communing with nature than you do at an alpine ski area. It's quieter, it's more mellow, it's a MUCH more serious physical workout. It's meditative. It's thrilling, too - there's nothing like piloting these ultra narrow, ultra long skis with no edge down a hill and around a series of curves. Between the two, I regard downhill skiing as much easier.

If I were going to make a recommendation for someone just getting into nordic skiing I'd say definitely go with skate-skiing. It's a more "natural" movement, it's more energy-efficient, you can cover more ground in less time, and nearly all of the touring centers have trails that are groomed with nice wide zones for the skaters.

If what you want, on the other hand, is a winter outdoor sport that you can do with the conditions really suck at the downhill areas, I heartily recommend snowshoeing. It burns nearly as many calories as cross-country skiing, you don't need a dedicated trail system (you don't with nordic, but it really helps if you have one) and thanks to the cleats and crampon-style arrangements on the base of the snowshoe, you can definitely do it when it's icy, slushy, freeze/thaw, etc.

abc

Banned
I do both skate and classic and I find that good conditions are more important for skate than classic. For example, if it was really icy I'd probably choose to be in an icy track than on an icy, rutted skate lane.
Not if the ski center does a half decent grooming job!

I'm lucky where I'm there's a very good cross country center. They groom EVERYDAY when the condition warrants it! The skating lane is ALWAYS meticulous. Tracks are set when possible.

But, there's little they can do to remove the ice. They can break it up, and with multiple passes, it can be sugary fine which is good enough for skating. But the tracks, there's not much they can do. So very often, the tracks are super-icy and you can't get much kick out of it! :( And those rough icy tracks don't glide worth crap either...

Basically, nordic needs less snow, a couple inches thicker than the rocks will do. And wet sticky snow is fine too. But on the negative side, there's no snow making on the nordic tracks. So yes, nordic seasons are typically a lot shorter than the alpine season...

vanhoskier

Angel Diva

YES! If it is too cold, too windy, if the downhill snow conditions aren't great, or if you just think the mountain will be too crowded, then Nordic is a great way to spend the day! Since skating requires groomed tracks, and if the lanes are groomed regularly, then marginal snow can be great snow to skate on.

The balance point for Nordic skating is a bit different from alpine. Your weight is actually back on your heels a bit.

I think I've taken about a dozen lessons over the years...there are different poling techniques as well.

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love XC skiing! I usually go every week and take the dogs. My 'weekend' is Friday and Saturday, so I usually ski the resort on Fridays when it's less crowded then hit the backcountry on XC skis on Saturday. Track skiing is okay when the snow is good, but I prefer to be making my own tracks, and there are no restrictions on the trails I can take my dogs on when in the backcountry. I do traditional XC, but I bought skate boots on the offchance that I might want to learn skating too. I really would at some point, but I enjoy too many snow sports and don't have enough time off to fit them all in!

As far as conditions go, when it's super icy at the resorts I can usually find some less icy snow out in the backcountry... but solid ice is going to be hard to ski on no matter what and where you're skiing (hubby lost an XC ski on a semi frozen lake a couple of months back... the ski slid down an icy bank as he was putting it on and slid out onto thin ice! Luckily there was a guy with a fishing pole nearby who reeled it in for him!) If conditions are that bad I will usually snowshoe instead, or even just hike with gaiters and traction aids (Kako Icetrekkers work great!). In really deep powder my regular XC skis are hard work but doable, though I find myself lusting after hubby's Madshus Annum with their 78mm waist. Here (in the Sierra), the XC season seems to start a bit later than the alpine season since you have to wait for snow to cover up all the rocks, but there is still enough snow to XC long after the resorts all close for the season if you know where to look.

Lessons... I need them! I took a lesson the first time I XC skied on a groomed track. It did help, but I still can't really snow plough or turn on them, I just fall over! On flat or rolling terrain, it's easy. One of these days I'll see if someone can teach me how to turn without ending up eating snow or hugging a tree :cool:

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a skate skier.

I had the opportunity when I was living in Rossland to take lessons in both classic and skate technique to try them out, and I made it through the whole set of skate lessons and promptly went and spent a bunch of money, whereas I dropped the classic lessons 2 or 3 in. I picked up skate skiing quicker, but I'm also a very proficient ice skater and downhill skier, so the balance came quickly. Being in Rossland, how to handle hills was lesson 2...right after how to put the gear on and travel forwards slightly. There aren't any flat trails there!

Here in Kimberley our groomed nordic trails are at the elevation of the bottom of our ski hill, and the nordic season extends a couple weeks in either direction beyond the lift-accessed alpine season, depending on the snow. The ski hill is relatively bound to their opening and closing dates even if it's puking snow, but the nordic club grooms until they can't anymore.

I don't have the wind to skate ski for more than about an hour, so I don't use it much as a substitute for downhill. I mostly skate ski at night by headlamp, after having done something else during the day. It's usually my second activity in a day.

Either way, definitely lessons are the way to go, no matter whether you pick classic or skate. It'll shorten the learning curve and nip bad habits early.
I can feel some of my bad habits as I ski...I really should take a "refresh my memory" lesson...

Christy

Angel Diva
You guys have convinced me--skate it is. I'll plan on having numerous lessons. Maybe Monday I'll start if the passes aren't too snowy for my Prius (husband has the truck fishing).

Pequinita, your history of Nordic skiing cracked me up. I hope today goes well. I will expect humiliation, and that's fine.

I was curious about the length of season here and it looks like the state/nonprofits/ski areas quit grooming nordic trails March 31st. That is before the end of downhill season and WAY before the snow melts in most places, but I imagine a lot of people aren't thinking Nordic skiing anymore come April.

Serafina, funny you should mention showshoeing, we used to do this with our uber-athletic dog before we became downhill skiers. But, now it seems kind of...boring, and that dog has died. But we are going for the first time in years next weekend with our senior dog who is slower but looooves the mountains. Mostly it's an excuse to stay in a particular mountain inn I've wanted to visit, and my husband keeps say, "wait, we're snowshoeing this weekend? Not skiing? Huh?"

Jenny

Angel Diva
Went xc skiing today for the first time in at least 10 years. I have to say, I was extremely great full for the classic tracks to put my skis in - they certainly prevented a couple of Bambi on ice type incidents!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna