• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Non-skiing question for Santa Barbara area divas

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, DD just got word that she has been accepted into the Santa Barbara International Film Festival's Film Studies Program- a 3 day symposium during the Film Festival. But they say she needs to be there from Jan 31- Feb 4. Would you say this would be a worth while enough experience to miss 3 days of college classes? She's also already committed to missing a few days in April to go to Houston for the Cupsi Poetry Slam.

mustski

Angel Diva
I guess it depends on her current major and focus of study. If she is a film major then, yes, California is film industry central. Otherwise, probably not. It all depends on what she hopes to get out of it. Missing 3 days of classes is quite a bit of class time to miss.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
She is a comparative literature major, not film studies. She has taken a Russian film class and a French film class but that's it. But apparently she did a good enough job in her application selling the connection between comparative literature and film to be invited. They would provide the hotel and a stipend to be used towards air fare, I think some meals too, so little out of pocket. I think what she is hoping to get out of it is a free adventure. She loves to travel, meet new people, etc.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
She's taking five courses, 20 credits. She's the kind of person that is happiest when she keeps busy. Her first semester she did 16 credits and was at a loss. She would only miss one day of the Tues- Thurs classes, but the M-W-F classes she would miss two days of.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Santa Barbara International Film Festival's Film Studies Program- a 3 day symposium during the Film Festival. But they say she needs to be there from Jan 31- Feb 4.
They would provide the hotel and a stipend to be used towards air fare, I think some meals too, so little out of pocket. I think what she is hoping to get out of it is a free adventure. She loves to travel, meet new people, etc.
Given that this would be early in the semester, does seem like a great opportunity for an adventure. The fact that she doesn't have to spend money for travel and lodging makes a difference. Certainly would look good on a resumé or grad school application whatever she decides to pursue after college.

mustski

Angel Diva
I was a lit major. Missing classes should be no problem as long as she talks to her profs, lets them know why she's missing, and gets any assignments that are due turned in early rather than late. Adventure is great and those pre-family years are the perfect time to take them!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Yes yes yes!!! Agree with @mustski’s very practical advice. I have to say - the study of literature and film have so much in common; of course it makes sense for a comparative lit major to go to an international film festival!

Sparky

Angel Diva
I agree with the above comments. I live in the LA area and love Santa Barbara. What a great opportunity for a college kid, especially when it sounds like most of the expenses will be paid! Plus, at that time of the year, I’m sure a break from the cold northeast will be much appreciated! Wait, where does she study? I just assumed MA since that’s where you are?

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
She's at Smith, in Northampton MA. But it isn't like we have had much cold here so far anyways this year :(

She wrote the organizers with a few questions, but I'm pretty sure she will be saying yes. She does take her studies seriously, but I think when it comes down to it, the call to adventure wins out. Thank you guys for you input (and for not making me feel like a bad parent for not doing much more than play devil's advocate.)

mustski

Angel Diva
Thank you guys for you input (and for not making me feel like a bad parent for not doing much more than play devil's advocate.)
Once our kids head off to university, that is the most excellent type of parenting... the kind that teaches them to make independent decisions and supports them in their choices at the same time!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok- update time. DD went and had a blast. She was put up at a Hilton Resort hotel, with a room to herself. Seats at all the major panels and awards (sent a photo from the one with Vigo Mortenson). Went to a mixer with Christopher Lloyd. Pet Glen Close’s dog. Said no regrets whatsoever.
1549335049490.jpg

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's Great! and we actually had some "weather" during that time...lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna