• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Non-profit ski areas, have you skied at one?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Surprise, surprise . . . there is a brand new non-profit ski area getting started on their first lift this summer. Skeetawk has been a dream for several years. They did a contest to choose a name, found a major grant to jumpstart things, and is in Alaska. It's a couple hours away from Alyeska, a bit over an hour north of Anchorage. The name Skeetawk was "derived from the Dena'ina word Shk'ituk't, which means "where we slide down," and was the original Dena'ina name for the village before it was later renamed Kenai."

https://www.skeetawk.com

From the FAQ:
Q: What is HAX or Hatcher Alpine Xperience?
A: HAX is the name of the non-profit organization formed to create a community alpine ski area at Hatcher Pass. HAX board members are all volunteers and are not compensated.

Q: What is planned to be built in Phase 1?
A: Designed for Phase 1a is a Triple Chair Lift, snowcat building, and minor support buildings (ticket shelter, restrooms, a modest ski patrol shelter). The skiable area of Phase 1a will be roughly the size of Hilltop Ski Area in Anchorage. Designed for Phase 1b is a high speed quad, lodge, and improved parking and access facilities. The skiable area of Phase 1b will be hundreds of acres of intermediate terrain, and will reach above treeline.

Q: Where is the area to be built?
A: The area is located at mile 10.6 of the Hatcher Pass Road, on the west side of the road. This area is within the northern part of the Matanuska-Susitna Borough’s Government Peak Recreation Area.

Video from 2018 on the Skeetawk homepage as of July 2019, 7 min

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Cross-post from the "Old School" thread:

A colleague mentioned that Northeast Slopes in Corinth, VT is a fun, inexpensive non-profit hill run by volunteers. He says it's small, but that the trails are surprisingly diverse.

There is also Arrowhead in Claremont, NH for low-cost, nonprofit skiing.

Ascutney will have a T-Bar this winter, though hours will be limited and it is natural-snow dependant. There's a fun Thursday-night race and beer-drinking league at Ascutney as well. And the backcountry skiing is very accessible since the nonprofit keeps some of the old trails mown and people clear out the woods in some areas. There's a guy who skis up there a lot and can often give very timely snow reports. Outdoor Center makes for a nie base lodge. Ascutney info here: https://www.ascutneyoutdoors.org/

Quote Reply

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I live within a few hours of quite a few "club fields" (Blister has done one or two pieces on the Canterbury club fields) which are non-profit ski fields owned and managed by clubs - I haven't been to any yet but I'm told they have an awesome vibe, really laid back and more of a family atmosphere! Apparently the most common way to ascend their slopes is by rope tow too, so it's quite a different experience :P

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I live within a few hours of quite a few "club fields" (Blister has done one or two pieces on the Canterbury club fields) which are non-profit ski fields owned and managed by clubs - I haven't been to any yet but I'm told they have an awesome vibe, really laid back and more of a family atmosphere! Apparently the most common way to ascend their slopes is by rope tow too, so it's quite a different experience :P

I've seen videos of the "nutcracker" handles that seem to be widely used at club field rope tows. After a few race-league nights on the Ascutney tow, I am envious. With pigskin gloves and the recommended technique (one hand in front, one behind your back, both grasping the rope) the ride is still a massive core and arm workout and always feels as though you're just about to lose it and have to bail out before reaching the top.

marzNC

Angel Diva
While I learned on a rope tow long ago and don't have any issues using one now, the nutcracker idea is intriguing. I gather there is more than one type of nutcracker these days. Can rent one or bring your own, rather like a climbing harness for indoor rock climbing.

Becomes obvious in these short videos that you still need to learn how to properly grip a rope tow with leather gloves.

marzNC

Angel Diva
NWAC is a non-profit that's a little different. When I saw "NWAC" I thought "NW" stood for Northwest. In fact, NWAC is the acronym for the Northwest Avalanche Center. But it also stands for the National Winter Activity Center, which is base in Vernon, NJ. That's where Mountain Creek is located. The URL "winter4kids" is more helpful for understanding what this non-profit does. NWAC not a ski area, but a program that works to help kids who couldn't otherwise afford to ski or get into race competitions have fun on the slopes. Started up a few years ago and going strong. Actively recruiting for staff for the 2019-20 season.

https://winter4kids.org

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I think this one belongs on the Old School list. Don't see anything to indicate it's a non-profit.
Yes you're right.... It's not non-profit but definitely old school. Feel free to add to Old School list. And website says 70 acres but my recollection is one run..... never skied there as would stay there and ski Alpine Meadows (now Squaw-Alpine).. As you know, most resorts in Tahoe are between 1,000 and 4,000 acres! So I can't even imagine 70 acres but think it might be maybe 2 runs?

marzNC

Angel Diva
So I can't even imagine 70 acres but think it might be maybe 2 runs?
My home hill is about 70 acres. Massanutten is over 45 years old, has four chairlifts, 3 black runs, 2 blue trails, 2 green trails, and a decent size terrain park big enough for college competitions with it's old J-bar. I started to learn how to ski bumps there. Doesn't take much to have fun sliding on snow. :smile:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
My home hill is about 70 acres. Massanutten is over 45 years old, has four chairlifts, 3 black runs, 2 blue trails, 2 green trails, and a decent size terrain park big enough for college competitions with it's old J-bar. I started to learn how to ski bumps there. Doesn't take much to have fun sliding on snow. :smile:
Oh my..... well what I saw of Granlibakken was one run... guess there is more!!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Surprise, surprise . . . there is a brand new non-profit ski area getting started on their first lift this summer. Skeetawk has been a dream for several years. They did a contest to choose a name, found a major grant to jumpstart things, and is in Alaska. It's a couple hours away from Alyeska, a bit over an hour north of Anchorage. The name Skeetawk was "derived from the Dena'ina word Shk'ituk't, which means "where we slide down," and was the original Dena'ina name for the village before it was later renamed Kenai."

https://www.skeetawk.com
Skeetawk will have a booth at the Alaska State Fair. A membership is only $35 for an individual, $75 for a family.

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 11.04.58 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
there is a brand new non-profit ski area getting started on their first lift this summer. Skeetawk has been a dream for several years.
Unfortunately Skeetawk won't get their lift in time for the start of the 2019-20 season. Turns out that a project in the midwest was delayed by floods this summer, and that put the manufacturer behind. They only told Skeetawk recently. Although on the bright side, when the lift is installed there will be mountain bike attachments. The lift vendor is providing them for free as compensation for the delay. There were already plans for mountain biking in 2020, so it should be helpful in the long run.

https://www.adn.com/outdoors-advent...es-back-opening-of-new-hatcher-pass-ski-area/

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/mat...er-pass-alpine-area-hustle-ahead-of-snowfall/

marzNC

Angel Diva
Anthony Lakes in Oregon became non-profit almost ten years ago. It's clearly been successful. Has 1100 acres, 900 ft vert, mainly serviced by a triple chair. What puts it on my bucket list is the cat skiing for $249. Apparently all of Feb 2020 is already booked up as of late Oct 2019. Anthony Lakes is only open Thu-Sun.

Anthony Lakes has a sponsor for a pretty unique program for local kids, G4-12. It's called "Ski For the Health of It." A limited number of kids from the local public schools can go skiing weekly for 8 weeks for a heavily discounted fee, which includes transportation.

Also have a free lesson package for 5th and 6th graders on Sunday mornings. Get a lift ticket, rental gear, and a "mandatory" lesson. An adult taking a 5th/6th grader for the lesson package can get a lift ticket for $20. Doing a lesson 7 of 8 Sundays between Jan. 5 and Feb. 23 means a kid can get a season pass for $150 good for the remainder of the season, plus the next season.

Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 10.46.47 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
One characteristic that non-profits have in common is the ability to be flexible and think out of the box at times. Mt. Ashland in southern Oregon has come up with a way to make it easier to reach the mountain for those who don't feel like driving or don't have easy access to a car. There is a free shuttle from one stop in town on weekends and holiday ski days. The bus runs every hour to Mt. Ashland 7am thru 2pm, and hourly back to town until 5pm. It takes help donations and business sponsors to make it happen.

Mt. Ashland non-holiday hours are Thu-Mon, 9am-4pm, with night skiing on Thu and Fri evenings.

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 2.01.28 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
To get started with skiing or snowboarding, it's $150 for 3 days with rental gear and a 2-hr lesson at Mt. Ashland. One program for kids and a slight variation for ages 13+.

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 2.11.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 2.13.24 PM.png

bobolinx

Certified Ski Diva
Abenaki ski area in Wolfboro, NH is community owned. I've only skied the x-country trails nearby. But it has 7 trails and, I think, a rope tow. Great little mountain to learn to turn.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna