• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

No ambulances today! And a question about posting

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yay! I'm so happy I didn't leave my lesson in the meat wagon! (And I can't believe how low my standards are at the moment...)

So I got back up today - not on Huey, who I rode (mostly) last time. He is lame at the moment (nothing to do with my fall though). This time I rode a horse that was perfectly ready to slow down any time I took the Trot Squeeze off. And for a lot of it, we were on a longe line.

It went really well. I would like to say that I had no qualms at all getting back up, but that would be a lie. I did, however, have very few qualms, and the ones I had were pretty tiny. I think the longe line helped with that...

Now I have a question for you guys! I am still learning to post. My present understanding is that I don't have to get myself up out of the saddle, because the trot is going to bounce me up there. What I do need to do is to direct that - instructor said my pelvis should be going through my elbows (directionally). It helped that someone else who was a really good rider (a stable employee, I think) was exercising another horse at the time and providing a good visual for what it ought to look like. So I understand the "through the elbows" thing.

I also understand that a big part of the challenge is making a soft landing. This is the part I am having trouble with now. When I landed, I made a couple of little bobbly-bounces in the saddle. It was like UP down-down UP down-down. Instructor said to make it only one touch-down in the saddle, but I am not sure how to do this.

Any ideas?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yahoo for you!!!!!

The posting issue is totally normal. It's a combination of strength and balance. Did the instructor have you up in a two point at all, even at the walk? This will help you develop both the muscles and balance needed. If you're double bouncing on the down, you just aren't strong enough or balanced enough to pull yourself back up out of the saddle. The horse does do a majority of the work, but you still have to contribute some :D

Oh, and remember to count "one two, one two, one two"! One on the up, two on the down. It will help you establish a rhythm. It really does help!

Two of my favorite "drills" are two-point and riding without stirrups. Neither of which I do very often any more. Shame shame!!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is the two-point the same thing as the half-seat? She had me doing a thing where I put my weight into my feet and got my butt out of the saddle and balanced like that (holding on to the horse's mane) while the horse walked around under me. It was a challenge. She said I either needed to stick my butt out or to get my legs back to make it easier.

She was helping me by saying Up Down Up Down Up Down Up Down, etc. I don't think my timing was very good, though. :embarrassed: I felt bad for the horse - I think I must have felt like a very large sack of potatoes jouncing around on his back.

The woman who was working the other horse in the ring made it look so effortless... I just have to keep reminding myself that I haven't been at this all that long, because this was only lesson 3, and lesson 2 didn't give me an opportunity to post (too busy cantering and then wiping out), so this was almost really lesson 2. And I did not learn to carve my skis on lesson 2, and I was still sailing down hard-packed blacks by the end of the season, on my fatty powder skis, too.

Patience...patience...patience...

I did learn 3 ways to stop the horse today. One I knew (pull back on both reins) but I had not been doing it right. Had been doing it with my arms, which my teacher pointed out had the potential to pull me forward out of my seat, so she showed me to lock my elbows and lean back in the saddle to stop the horse. Then I learned the one where you hold the reins in one hand, slide your other hand down the side of the horse's neck to gather up the rein on that side and pull it back to the thigh (to make it curve its head around and maybe go in a circle). And the other way was to lift and pull back on the outside rein only to turn it into the fence.

She said that after my last lesson, she's put in a new policy that all adult riders are going to have this as part of their very first lesson. I think that's a terrific idea. I remember most of my first skiing lesson was "How To Stop" (wedge, turn uphill, run out across the hill). Valuable stuff.

I think what I need is just a ton of practice on that until it become second nature.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, that is a two point! Only you'll eventually be able to do it without using the mane for assistance. I must admit, I'm not great at it, partly because I grew up riding mostly saddle seat! Honestly, it sounds like you've found a competent instructor who CARES. Awesome sauce!

And good golly, yes, it will take time to learn to post. But trust me, you'll get it soon enough and then you'll never forget how, I promise :D

Ricester

Certified Ski Diva
I've been reading your riding threads lately, and am happy for you! I always get excited for new riders. It sounds like you've found a barn and instructor that fit you well, and your most recent mount sounds like a sweetie.

I remember learning to post; it is NOT easy at walk, ever. The timing makes the whole thing awkward, but it's the only way to do the first introduction to posting. I think the trouble you're having now with taking an extra bounce in the saddle is just a function of your muscles not used to being used like this. Your body has to learn how to hold itself and balance (fore/aft and side to side, just like skiing), and once your muscles can sustain that, everything becomes easier. Also, when your riding muscles get a little more stamina and you're more used to the motion, you'll be able to handle a trot with a little longer stride and more swing. That will make the rhythm clearer, and the horse will be doing even more of the work to help you rise and fall with each beat. You're right on track with learning two-point or half-seat and directing your posting motion mostly forward instead of up. Keep us posted with your progress! (Ha.... ha. Yes, that pun was intended.)

mtngirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
a half seat is like half of a two point... slightly out of the saddle, versus more out of the saddle for a full on two point..

You will get posting.. it takes time.. riding requires this relaxed, yet controlled muscle thing with your core muscles, especially and it takes time to develope that.. you cant be loose, and you cant be stiff...

Posting is also easier when you can get a brisk, bright, forward trot going, and that would probably intimidate you right now, so just keep working at it, you will get there!

Another thing that helps with learning to post is sitting/posting like sit for one, two, one, two, one two, one two, and then post the same and then sit again. when you are sitting, you can think about posting, and it will help you feel the rhythm..

Good for you for getting right back up there!

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You need to think of not overdoing it on the posting. It's not that you stand right up out of the saddle, more that you lift your weight just out of it. It's a motion that comes from the knees not from the heels and the upper body does not go too far forward.

To use a ski phrase - Push the Bush.

The double bounce tends to indicate that you have risen too far up, meaning that you have to come down fast to catch up with the rhythm. Eventually you will be able to look at the withers to determine your pace and if you are rising on the correct leading leg, for now let your instructor call it out for you.

LB, of course you ride, why didn't I think of that! I would so love to ride again. Looking at ranches around Steamboat for a trail ride when I head out in August.

Serafina, did you mention Huey in an earlier post? I can't believe he's still out there. I rode at that barn from '04-'06 and a couple of my girls did as well. Super convenient.

Sounds like you're doing great. Funny how skiing and riding both involve falls.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Serafina, did you mention Huey in an earlier post? I can't believe he's still out there. I rode at that barn from '04-'06 and a couple of my girls did as well. Super convenient.

Is that Huey the Gigantic Chestnut Warmblood? If so, he's the last thing I saw right before the paramedics. :laugh: (the irony is that he was the sweetest guy, ever, and a terrific horse, too! I can hardly wait to ride him again, when I am better that this)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly