• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

No ACL, no surgery, no problem - My new normal as a Coper

marzNC

Angel Diva
Been doing more indoor rock climbing in the last week or two. No hesitation when using a harness, whether with a belayer or using an auto-belay. But not ready for bouldering. The climbing isn't the issue, but not ready to jump down and climbing down is a pain. That's really the only reason I have for doing jumping exercises more than 6 inches off the ground.

Looked at a plyometrics (jumping) book in the bookstore the other day. Checked out the exercises recommended for skiing. Keeping those in the back of my mind.

Jumping up steps or onto the Bosu works fine.

This video about using a BOSU for ski conditioning includes jumping. Adding that to my list of things to do every so often.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I love how related videos always come up. Here's a goodie. A lot of jumping you wouldn't like to do, marzNC, but the balance and agility exercises might inspire you. I don't speak French, so who knows what they're saying!

The ski racer mostly talks about having more confidence because of all the hard work on ski conditioning. His coach pretty much says that the racer should be in great shape. Also clear that his coach thinks the balance and agility exercises are very important. What's in the video are the high end versions of what I've learned from my PT or elsewhere, including some in the Boomers exercise series. Walking around on the balls looks like fun!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Haven't been doing as much formal exercising during the holiday week. Did confirm that I can do any stroke in the pool, meaning all types of kicks. I'm not really a fan of being in the water for fun. But the place where we spent a few days over Thanksgiving kept the temp at 90 for the small outdoor pool right outside our condo. More like a giant hot tub.

Ended up doing another experiment with not taking Baiyao last week. For some reason that meant my calf on the leg with no ACL was tightening up a lot after just a little walking. Not really sure why. But after taking the Baiyao for a couple days, the leg definitely feels better. I'm taking a low dose, mainly at bedtime.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Now that I've done a few Pilates classes, this video of Pilates exercises (mat only) related to ski conditioning makes a lot more sense. Especially the one at the one for the feet. The instructor has people draw the alphabet in the air with their toes.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Just a quick after-thought: found out in Sept via chatting with him that a big PSIA honcho, head of eastern division nordic/tele, has been without one for the last 20 years. He's early 50's, doing fine.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Just a quick after-thought: found out in Sept via chatting with him that a big PSIA honcho, head of eastern division nordic/tele, has been without one for the last 20 years. He's early 50's, doing fine.
Always nice to hear stories like this. Far more folks who do ACLr surgery write about their experience than those who do not.

marzNC

Angel Diva
After working with a trainer at a local fitness center that's part of a private community center for 3 months, I've learned that it works for me. Yesterday they had a 1-day special deal for new memberships so I signed up. The two deciding factors were that I like my trainer a lot and the exercise room has NO music playing. Midweek, midday the place is very quiet. It has lots of relevant equipment. Perhaps only one compared to 4-5 at a commercial fitness center , but that makes no difference since I can go when it's not busy. The bonus is that I can take a friend to a fitness class for a $10 day pass.

Thinking back . . .
Month 1: crutches and rest
Month 2: formal PT, mostly no impact, waiting for MCL strain to heal, MRI confirmation that ACL completely ruptured
Month 3: complete formal PT, start personal training, fully functional for daily living
Month 4: continue personal training, back to indoor rock climbing

marzNC

Angel Diva
After looking at various approaches to exercise with an eye towards ACL injury prevention and ski conditioning, I'm starting to know what exercises are pretty commonly suggested. Definitely glad I had good formal PT to provide a base for knowing what would help my knee. Being a ski nut made it more natural to start doing general exercises beyond the one leg sooner rather than later. Also important as incentive to continue on a regular basis. I can understand why some people who are not athletic and only want to return to daily living without worry can end up as non-copers who ultimately need ACLr surgery. It takes a commitment to maintain the strength and balance necessary to have confidence to do whatever you want when a knee is missing an ACL.

After five months, my knee is fully functional. However, it certainly does not feel like it did before internally. Nothing hurts, but there is a tightness that happens when the knee is not warmed up after sitting or just starting out moving or exercising.

This set of exercises for lower body and ACL injury prevention is a nice summary. Nice short separate videos.

https://ptsportswellness.wordpress.com/exercises/lower-body-strength/

marzNC

Angel Diva
Had a session with my trainer today. The variety of exercises she comes up with using the TRX makes it quite fun. As I can do more, it's easy to add complexity simply by not putting a foot down or changing the where elbows end up during the exercise. Started doing things like "flying" planks and crunches on a mat last week. My core hasn't been this strong in a long time.

Last week we experimented with combining the TRX with a BOSU for deep squats.

mustski

Angel Diva
December 19th is right around the corner ... are you nervous or excited? You have been working harder than anyone I know, so be sure to let us know how the first day skiing as a "coper" goes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

marzNC

Angel Diva
mustski: Well, hard to say if I'll get on skis on Dec. 19 or not. Massanutten has to start from nothing for snowmaking. Everything they did in late Nov melted. May not be able to start until just a few days before we arrive. Last year they did get the two green runs and one blue open in spite of the warm Dec weather. So we'll see.

I'm more excited than nervous. Especially after doing indoor rock climbing for a couple months.

I got the SkiA Sweetspot recently. That allows me to work on balance with ski boots on. Even better, I can practice the movements needed for "edging" by tilting my feet right or left while keeping my body more or less vertical. Only working with the big green block so far. As with the proprioception and strength exercises I did this summer, I'd rather take it slow and build up instead of pushing too fast.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Haven't used the Sweetspot enough yet to have a strong opinion. The US manual is quite clear that the best way to progress is to "excel" on a block before moving to the next. There are four exercises: Centered Balanced, Movement in Balance (vertical motion), Rotation Movements, Edging Movements.

I know it helps my confidence about tilting ankles with bent knees, which is the movement needed to get my skis on edge. I was doing that a bit on the Skiers Edge II for the same reason. But foot platforms version of the SE don't tip much. Plus you don't use a SE with ski boots on. Haven't done Rotation yet because I have to figure out where to do it that doesn't damage the Sweetspot blocks or the surface I'm standing on.

The manual also includes drills to do on skis on green or easy blue runs that help transfer what happens with the balance training to actual ski technique. Chris Fellows of NASTC contributed to that section, along with BASS in the UK and Snowperformance at Crystal in WA. NASTC is selling a bundle that includes Chris' book and a Sweetspot.

Did you notice that Divas can get a 10% discount until Dec. 25?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Oh well, doesn't look like I'll be skiing in Dec after all. A second warm spell this weekend melted the second attempt at snowmaking at Massanutten. Could do a day trip while we are there to Snowshoe, but not convinced it's worth the effort. Going back to Mnut for several weekends in Jan. It's supposed to get cold by Christmas in northern VA, so should be fine after that.

Guess that means more chance to play with the SkiA Sweetspot to improve my balance in ski boots.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Decided to make a commitment to continuing with my personal trainer through the spring. Probably 3-4 times a month, more or less once a week. Now that I'm a member of the community center, makes it that much easier to stop in for 30-45 min when I have errands to run nearby. But still helps to have an appointment that means I definitely make the drive.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Should finally get on skis next weekend. Massanutten is finally open with regular rates and all lifts runnings.

Spent time on the SkiA Sweetspot while we were at Mnut. Definitely helps to build confidence. Only brought the green blocks. Probably a good thing because the temptation is to move to the smaller blocks before being completely solid at all four exercises. It was nice to have a reason to put on ski boots every day.

There is something to be said for not doing an exercise for a while. I hadn't used the Skiers Edge for a few weeks. Getting back on I could tell how much stronger I am, both in the legs and general conditioning. After practicing "edging" with the Sweetspot, tilting the footbeds on the Skiers Edge while staying in balance is easier.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Of all the videos I found related to ski conditioning and knee rehab exercises, the ones that I like the best are the series by Bumps for Boomers. That's the group that is based in Aspen. Compared to other exercises, they are more realistic for me. All can be done at home since I have a mat, a stability ball, dumb bells, and therabands.

I was doing Phase 1 for a while, about once or twice a week. Some of the exercises at the fitness center and with my trainer were essentially covering the same areas that are added in Phase 2. Today I did the full set of Phase 2 exercises. Could do almost all of them to the recommended number of reps. Took about 45 min, without the cardio part (recumbent bike). I can imagine continuing to do Phase 2 once of twice a week in addition to something else a few times a week.

Bumps for Boomers has a PDF file that summarizes the exercises, in addition to the videos that demonstrate all of them. I created a 1-page cheat sheet that is enough to remind me what to do next. Here's the part for Lower Body.

Lower Body - 10 reps if not noted otherwise
1. Leg press with ball on wall and dumb bells for added resistance, 2 legs, 1 leg - 2-3 sets of 10 reps, slowly
2. Squats jumps, low and quick; alternate with leg press
3. Side step up to 1-leg balance, lift foot towards the front, with dumb bells
4. Side-to-side 2-foot hops, over a line – 10 in each direction
5. Hop and Hold, front diagonal to each side, soft landing with balance
6. Single leg hamstring curl (hip lifts) using ball
7. Leg back while reaching hand to floor in front, reach farther
8. Wall squat and hold, 30-60 sec
9. Wall squat with weight shift, hold 3 -5 sec, 30-60 sec 1-2 times

marzNC

Angel Diva
Finally got to go skiing! Everything works pretty much the same as before when skiing. The ski conditioning after finishing formal PT certainly made a big difference. One difference I noticed is that I'm more nervous walking in ski boots when the wood ramp and porch near the Massanutten ski lodge when it's slick or icy.

TR Jan. 4-6:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/massanutten-january-2013.15531/#post-218760

Didn't get to ski as much as usual because we went with a friend and her kids who were first-time skiers. I was using my old K2 One Luvs, partially because they are a bit shorter than my Rossi Attraxion 8.

Going every weekend in Jan, so should get enough time on snow this month. Going to take the new (used) Volkl AC1 149cm next weekend. Actually the same length as 142cm One Luvs but narrower underfoot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna