• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

NJ travelers to Vermont/ Stratton

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Ladies,

Can someone who is from Vermont explain a little the restrictions for out of state visitors? Like can I (from NJ) book lodging at Stratton for Thanksgiving week? Would I have to quarantine in Vermont for two weeks? How about seasonal rentals? Are hotels barred from letting out of state visitors from making reservations for this winter? Thanks! I’ve been reading up onstage websites but it’s unclear. Hotel websites don’t explain it very well either. Since we can’t go up to Tremblant I’m hoping to use the Ikon at least at Stratton / Killington etc. thinking of 4-5 day trips and possibly even renting a place there in Jan/Feb since the kids are in virtual school. thank you!

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you! We do plan to drive in- but I wonder who will be checking for evidence of a negative test? Would you have to show to hotel upon check in?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Thank you! We do plan to drive in- but I wonder who will be checking for evidence of a negative test? Would you have to show to hotel upon check in?

From what I’ve heard you have to sign something confirming you either quarantined and/or tested. I don’t believe you are required to show anything.

newboots

Angel Diva
They are beginning to crack down on lodging with spot checks. The rules are, quarantine at home and only stop for gas and bathroom on the way up. OR quarantine for 14 days. OR quarantine for 7 days and get a Covid test. Then leave your lodging. It's very strict. Which kept us safe for months, although now our case numbers are climbing. Almost all of the new cases are due to people socializing in a way that was not following the rules, e.g., hockey teams having a social gathering with lots of people, including a team from NH.

Today I heard, 56 people from the hockey outbreak, 37 at St. Michael's College, and 18 from a wedding. I miss the days when we had 12 cases. The place I'm moving just reported a case in the high school, today. :help:

MissySki

Angel Diva
They are beginning to crack down on lodging with spot checks. The rules are, quarantine at home and only stop for gas and bathroom on the way up. OR quarantine for 14 days. OR quarantine for 7 days and get a Covid test. Then leave your lodging. It's very strict. Which kept us safe for months, although now our case numbers are climbing. Almost all of the new cases are due to people socializing in a way that was not following the rules, e.g., hockey teams having a social gathering with lots of people, including a team from NH.

Today I heard, 56 people from the hockey outbreak, 37 at St. Michael's College, and 18 from a wedding. I miss the days when we had 12 cases. The place I'm moving just reported a case in the high school, today. :help:

Crack down on what exactly with spot checks? There is no way to prove if you quarantined in your home state except your signing something to that effect.

newboots

Angel Diva
Crack down on what exactly with spot checks? There is no way to prove if you quarantined in your home state except your signing something to that effect.

True. As far as I know, that's all they can do. But some places of lodging (AirBNB was mentioned in one of the governor's press conferences), it is rumored that the proprietors are telling guests that they are exempt, they don't have to do it, or "just don't worry about it."

So they are cracking down on that. And while it's not much, I think it may make many travelers think twice.

It's getting worse, and we have to be smart about this. It's only one Thanksgiving, only one ski season. If we take turns and ski appropriately, we may not be superspreading and killing off our friends and family, our neighbors and visitors.

alr

Certified Ski Diva
So I don't really see the issue with compliance here if you are able to drive in. Just schedule a test the day before you leave. or get one upon arrival in VT. I drive to OK and back from our home in MA, and I went ahead and got the whole family tested per MA rules when I got home. It really isn't a big deal. Better be safe even if no one is checking.

alr

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Ladies,

Can someone who is from Vermont explain a little the restrictions for out of state visitors? Like can I (from NJ) book lodging at Stratton for Thanksgiving week? Would I have to quarantine in Vermont for two weeks? How about seasonal rentals? Are hotels barred from letting out of state visitors from making reservations for this winter? Thanks! I’ve been reading up onstage websites but it’s unclear. Hotel websites don’t explain it very well either. Since we can’t go up to Tremblant I’m hoping to use the Ikon at least at Stratton / Killington etc. thinking of 4-5 day trips and possibly even renting a place there in Jan/Feb since the kids are in virtual school. thank you!
But to answer your original question, you can book as far as I can tell without any documentation about where you are from or what you are going to do before you get there.

MissySki

Angel Diva
True. As far as I know, that's all they can do. But some places of lodging (AirBNB was mentioned in one of the governor's press conferences), it is rumored that the proprietors are telling guests that they are exempt, they don't have to do it, or "just don't worry about it."

So they are cracking down on that. And while it's not much, I think it may make many travelers think twice.

It's getting worse, and we have to be smart about this. It's only one Thanksgiving, only one ski season. If we take turns and ski appropriately, we may not be superspreading and killing off our friends and family, our neighbors and visitors.

I’m not going to any family holidays so no chance of spreading there, but I will be skiing where I don’t need lodges or bathrooms or food service. I unfortunately do not have any faith in people to change their ways 7+ months in, so I’m sure things are going to get worst before they get better. Hopefully I’m wrong, but I don’t think these restrictions will have any real impact on keeping the people away that we should be concerned with. I also unfortunately think a lot of locals are going to be Part of the problem. For example, last weekend there was a thread regarding multiple restaurants in Bethel where workers are not following rules, not wearing masks, not enforcing the rules for guests. When someone local commented on the Bethel Facebook group page upset about it, she got completely attacked by other locals. She was told to stay home if she was scared, that the people working there should be able to do what they want because they haven’t left town so they aren’t a risk to you. This behavior is going to be disastrous when mixed with a large influx of people. To me the issue isn’t the tourists coming, it’s the local areas enforcing and following the common sense restrictions like masks and distancing themselves and being an example when the time comes. If this behavior is allowed to happen when the season starts in ski towns all over, it’s probably going to bring things to a screeching halt before they really get going. For everyone local or not.

alr

Certified Ski Diva
I’m not going to any family holidays so no chance of spreading there, but I will be skiing where I don’t need lodges or bathrooms or food service. I unfortunately do not have any faith in people to change their ways 7+ months in, so I’m sure things are going to get worst before they get better. Hopefully I’m wrong, but I don’t think these restrictions will have any real impact on keeping the people away that we should be concerned with. I also unfortunately think a lot of locals are going to be Part of the problem. For example, last weekend there was a thread regarding multiple restaurants in Bethel where workers are not following rules, not wearing masks, not enforcing the rules for guests. When someone local commented on the Bethel Facebook group page upset about it, she got completely attacked by other locals. She was told to stay home if she was scared, that the people working there should be able to do what they want because they haven’t left town so they aren’t a risk to you. This behavior is going to be disastrous when mixed with a large influx of people. To me the issue isn’t the tourists coming, it’s the local areas enforcing and following the common sense restrictions like masks and distancing themselves and being an example when the time comes. If this behavior is allowed to happen when the season starts in ski towns all over, it’s probably going to bring things to a screeching halt before they really get going. For everyone local or not.
This is one reason that I am definitely trying to stay away from resort lodging and do totally separate stand-alone accommodations. A place where we can eat at home and not mix with locals or travelers. On mountain I think it is fairly safe due to outdoors and distance, and I plan to only use the lodge for bathroom breaks. But I know the relaxed attitude about masks in rural NE is quite scary when there is a lot of tourism and mixing and that does make me worried.

MissySki

Angel Diva
This is one reason that I am definitely trying to stay away from resort lodging and do totally separate stand-alone accommodations. A place where we can eat at home and not mix with locals or travelers. On mountain I think it is fairly safe due to outdoors and distance, and I plan to only use the lodge for bathroom breaks. But I know the relaxed attitude about masks in rural NE is quite scary when there is a lot of tourism and mixing and that does make me worried.

Same here, I’ll be cooking in my rental. Super sad about that because I love the local restaurants, but I haven’t eaten inside anywhere since March and definitely won’t start there knowing what’s happening in the area when the season comes. I’m hoping to do take out sometimes at least to support some local businesses if possible.

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I didn't know that about Bethel. I wrote this comment then read yours - well here is mine—

The thing is no testing is ever accurate so we all must keep that in mind. So, in "some" ways the "show negative test" is a little smoke and mirrors - though it is something. Now, if someone were getting tested because they had to -- if they live a quarantined life (no interactions with anyone outside the family, except maybe grocery once a week, that kind of thing) then a negative test would be a lot more accurate obviously.

I live on the NH/VT border and spend time in both places. I can tell you there are people I know of that do not follow the rules, mostly 20 somethings in terms of traveling and coming and going. Plus there are tourists as well that say one thing and do another (a recent local newspaper article talked about tourists from NY claiming one thing then telling a massage therapist another.)

I think the state will get the the hockey team outbreaks under control and that will inform other sports going forward in a helpful way. Also, VT is really good about masks as far as I can see, but I have been near towns so I don't know more rurally (EDIT: well, clearly I do not know what is going on for instance in Bethel, what I see in Hartford area (near WRJ and places like Norwich is total buy in).

NH masks are mandated town by town (some have mandates, others do not, where I am there is one and people abide, but this is a college town and there are strict measures in place with buy in from most all people -- pretty much). As far as the VT ski resorts, I applaud people caring about doing the right thing — I also just don't see resorts caring or able (which do you think?) to oversee if people are ACTUALLY following quarantine rules.

TBD.

Reactions: alr

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Same here, I’ll be cooking in my rental. Super sad about that because I love the local restaurants, but I haven’t eaten inside anywhere since March and definitely won’t start there knowing what’s happening in the area when the season comes. I’m hoping to do take out sometimes at least to support some local businesses if possible.
IDK if you ski Okemo - if so huge shout out to the Cookster-- A woman who has a grab and go take out only place right on the main drag. She's a solo chef and cooks up different selections every day. It's a tiny place (one person can fit with social distance). Awesome food and a cool woman.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
@WhyKnot - Point of clarification, I assume @MissySki is referring to Bethel Maine not Bethel Vermont. I don’t really go anywhere other than to hike but around here (border of Chittenden/Addison counties) I see ample compliance as well.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I also just don't see resorts caring or able (which do you think?) to oversee if people are ACTUALLY following quarantine rules.
Are you talking about ski resorts in VT/NH/ME in terms of people who book resort lodging, or people using season passes, or people buying day tickets in advance online?

From what I'm reading and listening to in podcasts by assorted ski management, the senior managers are well aware that if there is any hint of a resort not following public health guidelines or local government mandates then their season could well be over. The ski industry is working together in unprecedented ways to help each other come up with general operational adjustments while still maintaining a unique approach. What I've learned the last decade about skiing in the southeast is that even direct competitors will help each other out when it counts.

Whether or not a resort can make it clear to all guests in New England/NY/NJ that travel restrictions matter is a hard question to answer. But I have no doubt that they will try.

The situation in other regions of the U.S. is completely different. As is generally true for COVID-19.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@WhyKnot - Point of clarification, I assume @MissySki is referring to Bethel Maine not Bethel Vermont. I don’t really go anywhere other than to hike but around here (border of Chittenden/Addison counties) I see ample compliance as well.

Haha thanks, yes definitely talking about Bethel, ME! I didn't actually know there was also a Bethel, VT. too.. Sorry for the confusion @WhyKnot! I ski at Sunday River.

newboots

Angel Diva
I suspect that Bethel, VT may have the same issue as Bethel, ME! But the Vermont Bethel is quite small and only has a few restaurants. Three, I think, or two.

I live near Woodstock and Ludlow, VT, and I do see pretty good mask compliance. In addition to the young folks, though, I see a few old-timers wearing their masks down around their necks, or not wearing one. I don't know how well the ski resorts will be able to enforce the rules. We see food prep folks without masks often (and cook at home!). Ski areas are big, and lifties, ticket readers, and ambassadors are often young and enjoying the relaxed vibe of working at a ski area. How will you keep all of them in line?

newboots

Angel Diva
So I don't really see the issue with compliance here if you are able to drive in. Just schedule a test the day before you leave. or get one upon arrival in VT. I drive to OK and back from our home in MA, and I went ahead and got the whole family tested per MA rules when I got home. It really isn't a big deal. Better be safe even if no one is checking.

That's almost correct (for the Vermont rules). The difference is that Vermont requires a quarantine of 7 days with the test (14 without the test). You are now allowed to quarantine at home, get the test, and come to Vermont, an easing of the early summer restrictions when you had to quarantine here.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I suspect that Bethel, VT may have the same issue as Bethel, ME! But the Vermont Bethel is quite small and only has a few restaurants. Three, I think, or two.

I live near Woodstock and Ludlow, VT, and I do see pretty good mask compliance. In addition to the young folks, though, I see a few old-timers wearing their masks down around their necks, or not wearing one. I don't know how well the ski resorts will be able to enforce the rules. We see food prep folks without masks often (and cook at home!). Ski areas are big, and lifties, ticket readers, and ambassadors are often young and enjoying the relaxed vibe of working at a ski area. How will you keep all of them in line?

I’m at least happy that the Boyne resorts in New England will all have RFID this year. I usually wear my pass on my helmet, now will be in a pocket, and they used to scan at times so that’s really close contact for them with so many different people in a day. I’m glad that contact point will at least be gone. Doesn’t help for the chsirs that still get bumped by lifties though. I don’t think there’s any way around that outside of hitting people hard with untouched chairs all day? Haha That’s never pleasant.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly