• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Nice weather if you're a duck...

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bleah. :(
Although skiing in the rain can be fun, as long as your clothing is completely waterproof! The snow gets very soft and is lovely to ski on. (Plus the crowds stay away).

We've had nothing but warm and dry weather for the past couple weeks. Need some snow!!

Squaw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's RAINING. Ugh.

oh dear. Quack quack. You must be getting the same storm that has swept through Northern California. Pouring at Squaw Valley yesterday, and the drive home was miserable. Wipers on high all the way back to the Bay. All my son and I could think of was how deep the powder would be if it had been a cold storm.

Jen

Christy

Angel Diva
Same here. In the 40s (!!) and raining in the mountains.

The snow gets very soft and is lovely to ski on. (Plus the crowds stay away).
Not here in the PNW!! It's all super heavy slush ("Cascade concrete") when it rains, nothing lovely about it.

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It rained in town here, but not much at the mountain. Just super heavy 33degree snowing. It's "supposed" to cool down... but we'll see if that really happens. I'm turning into a park snob, because there isn't much else to ski.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep, it was crazy at Beaver Creek today. Dumping powder at the top, fog and zero visibility mid-mountain, and rain at the bottom!

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Uuuugh! It rained on us in Steamboat last year in January. :confused: I didn't know that was possible.

Last year in upper MI I skied in a monsoon. As Lori stated, the skiing was absolutely beautiful! :p Spring conditions. Needed wipers on the goggles though. :laugh:

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last weekend in upper MI

Ooops! Double.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Yep, it was crazy at Beaver Creek today. Dumping powder at the top, fog and zero visibility mid-mountain, and rain at the bottom!

I keep hearing this and it is making me depressed.
:Cry:

I finally get to ski next week and I am going to be all :mad2: if it's icy hard stuff. I HATE groomers.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I keep hearing this and it is making me depressed.
:Cry:

I finally get to ski next week and I am going to be all :mad2: if it's icy hard stuff. I HATE groomers.

Ewwwww.... .crust? My brother took me to some bowl at Breck one day to teach me to ski the pow. Yep, crust. Took me FOREVER to get down there and my knees were all cut up from the thick layer of crust.

I sure hope you get your dreamy conditions while you're there. :D

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Ewwwww.... .crust? My brother took me to some bowl at Breck one day to teach me to ski the pow. Yep, crust. Took me FOREVER to get down there and my knees were all cut up from the thick layer of crust.

I have been in this situation so many times. . . usually my own fault. :D

I like the bowls so much, and hate being chained to groomers all day. I remember one day late last season when my friend and I were like, "let's just give it a try and see how the snow is" (knowing full well it wasn't likely to be great) and heading from a cat track into a traverse into Sun Down Bowl at Vail.

The snow was good on the traverse, and then, after two turns (on the longest line of the whole, big bowl, no less), it was clearly completely manky snow. Chunks of ice, breakable crust, slush from the previous day that was refrozen and rutted out. It was TERRIBLE. (Anyone who has skied the bowls on a refrozen day, when they haven't had a chance to thaw knows what I am talking about.) We were alternately laughing and swearing all the (uncoordinated) way down, and our legs were rubber when we got to the lift. And, hilariously, we did it again two runs later, when we were once again bored with the groomers and thought *for sure* the snow had to be better by now, this time on Apres Vous. Sure, snow was good for three turns and then. . . the worst stuff ever.

She and I have a history of this. :becky: We seem to enable each other when it comes to getting trapped in bad snow situations. I remember that we ended up skiing rained on, refrozen, rutted out snow in the woods on my first real trip out after having my ODS and being down for the count for weeks after a scary L&D. I was soooo out of shape, but we saw a line that looked fun (at Fernie) and just HAD to try it, lol. Oops.

So, I guess my point is that (masochistic) fun can be had on those days. . . but not really the kind I like to have in places like Iron Mask at Vail or the ridge in Copper Bowl. We'll hope the forecast changes and *I* get a mid-week dump. (Got one of those on our big March ski week last year, and it was both needed and appreciated.)

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Boy, I hope the conditions are good next week for the Diva Summit! They are so good right now in Vermont! Maybe I should stay home??? :wink:

GimpyGal

Certified Ski Diva
Park City checking in - crappy here too. 49 degrees right now at home at 7000 feet. Doesn't seem possible for February.

Didn't get rained on yesterday or today but did get major wet butt from sitting on the frozen then thawed chairs. I thought I left that all behind when I moved here from the PNW.

Skiing was interesting today to put it politely. Good for the first few hundred yards, then marbles, goober balls, blow chunks, whatever pet name you have for those conditions, then rock hard and slick. Yummy! And this was on the groomers! Off piste was unskiable. It was one of those days you are grateful you have a season pass so you can quit at 10:30 and not feel guilty. Oh, and I forgot to mention the fog bank hanging over the mtn the whole time to add to our enjoyment.

Being the eternal optimist I'm thinking today was the low point of the season and it's all uphill from here. On a good note, I must say my Nordica Victorys performed admirably in all these condition. Was very impressed with the way they tracked over the goobers and held on the slick. The bright spot on an otherwise forgettable day.

Hang in there Westerners. Conditions have got to improve soon.

GG - Tracy

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okay, I went out today and the conditions are great! Yesterday's rain was snow from about 9K feet up, so the mountain actually got a fair amount of snow. Not our typical champagne powder, but what is up there is really, really soft! I had a lot of fun up there for a couple of hours today...gorgeous bluebird day!

Okay, I went out today and the conditions are great! Yesterday's rain was snow from about 9K feet up, so the mountain actually got a fair amount of snow. Not our typical champagne powder, but what is up there is really, really soft! I had a lot of fun up there for a couple of hours today...gorgeous bluebird day!

oh yeah :thumbsup:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is what everyone needs to remember. The rain changes to snow quickly on the mountain. Deep breath, nobody freak out about conditions for next week yet.

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is what everyone needs to remember. The rain changes to snow quickly on the mountain. Deep breath, nobody freak out about conditions for next week yet.

I'm certainly not freaking out! :wink: I know how the conditions here can change on a dime. Plus, the wet snow is actually good for us every once in a while...bonds well with the stuff below it, and reduces avalanche hazards. Now, we just need a little powder on top, and conditions will be dang near perfect!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna